Did I just make 50 bottle BOMBS???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianjag

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is my first from scratch recipe and I was not thinking straight I guess.... and I put a full 5oz corn sugar in to prime this 5 gal. recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/899078/cr-hazzy-hannah

The priming calculator says 1.7 oz for this batch, but thinking about this 1.7 doesn't seem like enough for a 5 gal batch.

If anyone would be able to give me some thoughts on if this might equal a messy situation or I am over thinking it and I'll be fine....

HELP PLEASE.
Thank you so much.

beersmith says about 2oz of corn sugar for 5gal at 68F for 1.7volumes. 2.5 volumes needs 4.4oz and 5oz looks like about 2.7volumes.

It might be a bit lively if you wanted 1.7 volumes but it will not be bottle bombs.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew (RDWHAHB)!

For 5 gallons of beer (actual volume in the bottling bucket) and the max. temp the beer has been at since fermentation ended is around 68F:
Adding 5 oz of corn sugar will give you 2.55 volumes. Your bottles should not explode at that pressure, but may be a little bit high for British Style ales (yeah, who cares?).
That is, as long as your final gravity (FG) was close to the expected value and the batch had totally fermented out.

I use this priming calculator:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

For 2.0 volumes, add 3.3 oz of corn sugar
For 2.5 volumes, add 4.8 oz of corn sugar
For 2.55 volumes, add 5.0 oz of corn sugar

So I did the calculator and it says 4.6 oz so i didn't over due it too much. I am curious as to why the calculator on the brewersfriend website is showing me 1.5 oz. I panicked when I saw 1.5.... has anyone had a problem with this calculator before?

So I did the calculator and it says 4.6 oz so i didn't over due it too much. I am curious as to why the calculator on the brewersfriend website is showing me 1.5 oz. I panicked when I saw 1.5.... has anyone had a problem with this calculator before?

I may be wrong but I think its calling for 1 oz per Gallon

I agree with the above.
All the kits I used to buy came with 5oz and I used it every time. No explosions. It's all good. The bigger thing to focus on, relatively speaking, is to make sure your beer is done fermenting.

The calculator's worked fine for me. After a while, you can tell if it's about right or not.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew (RDWHAHB)!

For 5 gallons of beer (actual volume in the bottling bucket) and the max. temp the beer has been at since fermentation ended is around 68F:
Adding 5 oz of corn sugar will give you 2.55 volumes. Your bottles should not explode at that pressure, but may be a little bit high for British Style ales (yeah, who cares?).
That is, as long as your final gravity (FG) was close to the expected value and the batch had totally fermented out.

I use this priming calculator:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

For 2.0 volumes, add 3.3 oz of corn sugar
For 2.5 volumes, add 4.8 oz of corn sugar
For 2.55 volumes, add 5.0 oz of corn sugar
Thank you for plugging that in for me. I feel a bit better and will for sure have a home brew and not think about it for a few weeks.

:off:
I know this is the beginners forum but... I have things to teach!
If you reall only want about 1.9 volumes then you gotta keep the bottles at 140*F lol
You will have higher carbed beer but no bombs.
1. 140°F is pasteurization temperature, and will kill the yeast in around 30 minutes. Heating bottles to high temperatures is not uncommon when making sweet sparkling cider, for example. Beer could be bottle pasteurized in a similar fashion if you want it sugary sweet.
2. I think you aren't understanding the reason behind the temperature input when calculating priming sugar. The temperature tells you how much residual carbonation is in the beer. The residual carbonation plus the amount added from fermenting the priming sugar gives the total carbonation.
Screen-shot-2013-09-20-at-4.40.17-PM.png
Click image to enlarge.

Changing the temperature of the bottles will not change the carbonation level unless it interfers with the yeast's ability to fully ferment the priming sugar.

Hope this makes sense.

@RPh_Guy - I dont know if you seen the bottom portion of my post about kidding and not doing that . Sitting here I thought about your post and as I did use the calculator but knew you wouldn't want to do that. However someone could just go off that not knowing so your post was good info . Honestly I didnt know it would make sweet beer I figured it would have killed the yeast.

Oh crap man lol, I get what your saying . I actually didnt know the the temp was residual carbonation . Be patient lol .....now continue to school :)

Last edited:
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that 140°F would cause "higher carbed beer but no bombs".
Even though I knew you were kidding it still seemed weird.

It's fine. We're all good here!

I was in an English style pub a couple of times that serves beer from casks. Definitely low carbonation. And then when you have a beer after that that's been in the refrigerator it's like wow that's cold -- I can barely taste it.

2 things...
  1. Please review with us how you got 4.6 oz on the calculator at Brewer's Friend. Did you change your Packaging Volume? Or carbonation level? Or something else?
  2. When you change any of the input cells you need to *tab* to the next cell or click on the [Update] button to recalculate. If you don't *update*, the previous calculation remains, which would be the wrong one.

2 things...
  1. Please review with us how you got 4.6 oz on the calculator at Brewer's Friend. Did you change your Packaging Volume? Or carbonation level? Or something else?
  2. When you change any of the input cells you need to *tab* to the next cell or click on the [Update] button to recalculate. If you don't *update*, the previous calculation remains, which would be the wrong one.
I am preetty sure it was user error all the way. I'm going to look at it tonight and if I still don't get it I will for sure come back for some help.

I must have changed something saved it and then went back and made another change and did not tab through, all good now and this batch should turn out carbonated pretty close to what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help here.

So this is my first from scratch recipe...
Congrats!

Now the bottle bomb scare is out of the way, let's look at that recipe a bit closer:
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3.3 lb Briess - LME Pilsen Light 37.6 2 38.4%
3.3 lb Briess - LME Golden Light 37.6 4 38.4%
2 lb Viking - Munich Light 28 6 23.3%

Did you mash or steep that Munich?
Did you use this yeast: White Labs - Burton Ale Yeast WLP023?
Did you measure your OG and FG?

Congrats!

Now the bottle bomb scare is out of the way, let's look at that recipe a bit closer:
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3.3 lb Briess - LME Pilsen Light 37.6 2 38.4%
3.3 lb Briess - LME Golden Light 37.6 4 38.4%
2 lb Viking - Munich Light 28 6 23.3%

Did you mash or steep that Munich?
Did you use this yeast: White Labs - Burton Ale Yeast WLP023?
Did you measure your OG and FG?

It was all LME. And I did measure the OG 1.052 and FG 1.015 and yes on the Burton Ale Yeast.

Latest posts

Back