Did I just do an ooops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenick

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, need some help/advise!

So Monday morning, I put brewed up my Coopers IPA using just under 1kg of Light Malt Extract and had a sustained temperature of 21-22 Celcius for the fermentation. Now, on Tues and most of Wed, there was some good foam on the top. But, then I noticed that my primary fermentation was seemed to be done this morning. So I'm racking it tomorrow morning.

Now, my question is, did I use too little LME or do something wrong? My last batch of Pilsner didn't do this. The receipe called for 500g DME and 300g Dextrose, but I just did it all LME and a bit more.

Also, I usually let it sit in the primary fermentor for at least 5 days. Is that too long?

Any thoughts? Any one? Thanks!

What size batch are you doing? Seems way too soon to rack. Have you taken a gravity reading?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

What size batch are you doing? Seems way too soon to rack. Have you taken a gravity reading?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm doing a 23L (5Gal) batch. The IG was: 1.046

Generally speaking letting a brew sit in primary for 5 days is not too long. In fact its pretty short! You could easily let it sit for a few weeks letting the yeast finish eating byproducts.

First, don't rack anything anywhere. Let it ride for at least another week past where it would be. Your beer will thank you.
You may be over the vigorous portion of the fermentation, (even with a 5-gal brew, often times it's about done foaming up after a few days) but there is still much activity and fermentations going on in there.
I presume you're doing a one-gallon brew (4-ish liters) but even so 1 LG (2.2 pounds) of LME seems a touch light. Oh, well, you will still end up with beer, though the maltiness and body may be lighter than you may have been expecting. What is the hop bill for your brew?

I usually rack my beer in the carboy when the SG turn around 1.010ish. You got a good krausen quick, that's a good sign for you. Be sure to check the SG gravity before racking because if you are racking too soon maybe the foam with blow off your air lock. I usually rack my beer after 3-4 days. I don't want the beer to stand on the yeast cake, it can leave off-flavor(people in here let it on the yeast cake for months without problem). There's not one way to brew. Good job for your IPA!

I think I'm still going to take it from my fermentor pail into the Carboy tomorrow and just let it sit in there for a couple weeks. I already had it planned out to bottle near the end of the month. So I think I'm just going to put it in the Carboy and let it go....

Thanks everyone!

I'm doing a 23L (5Gal) batch. The IG was: 1.046

+1 on all the above. Let it sit and do its work for 2 weeks. Don't rack anywhere, that's old school.

1kg LME in a 23L batch? That won't get you an OG of 1.046. What else is in there? Sugar?

On a side note, your fermentation temp maybe a bit high. It does depend on the yeast, but in general you'll get cleaner/better tasting beer at lower temps. Try around 18 degrees next.

Latest posts

Back