Did I get the wrong silicone caulk for my collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
Or am I just not using it correctly? I know I can't use gorilla glue to attach the 2x4's on my collar, due to the constant moisture exposure, so I tried to use my GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant (Kitchen and Bath). I put two of the boards together overnight with plenty of silicone, and I put heavy objects against the two to ensure a tight seal. The next morning, I take it out, turn it around to do the other side, and all of the sudden the two peel apart from each other.

If this stuff can't get a couple 2x4's to adhere, how am I going to trust it to hold the collar in place on my chest freezer? Should I just get liquid nails?

I would check the temp specifications for liquid nails but it would been my first option. Are you using adhesive as your only means of keeping this thing together?

:tank:

I used liquid nails on mine and it survived being stolen, driven around over 30 miles on a trailer, then loaded on a pickup truck, before the final 4 miles to my house. It's still attached, so I think Liquid Nails does the job. I will add some white silicon to the outside edges now though.

I used the same silicone but not to build the collar, only to secure it to the lid. Corner blocks or brackets should be used to build it, so you have some rigidity. The thing about silicone is that it remains flexible through moisture and temp extremes. It also takes up small spaces to prevent cold leaks. It will stick to just about anything but once it starts to tear it continues. As with any adhesive or caulk the surfaces must be clean and dust free to get a good bond. If you plan on painting, do it before applying silicone. Paint wont stick to silicone but silicone will stick to paint.

Latest posts

Back