Did I do this right? Valve question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS suggested that I put a hi-temp gasket on the inside and the outside of the valve.....this is on a newly drilled 15g keg. I did it like they suggested. But I always thought you only need one onthe inside.

ForumRunner_20130713_103551.jpg

I only have gaskets on the inside and my keggle does not leak. That being said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. gaskets are cheap. leave it if it holds water.

I like what you did. If it doesn't leak, it's good! Perhaps some metal working person would say otherwise but I like the idea of a gasket on each side although I suspect you actually only NEED one on the inside.

I did a dry run and it leaks just a bit. My old hobby is saltwater fish tanks and when I put bulkheads in any tank, it was the gasket on the inside. No leaks ever!!

Bobby, I love your products. Gonna order some sight glasses/thermometers very soon...!!

If it's leaking with 2 then I would take it apart and just use one and keep the other for backup. Don't over tighten. The silicone easily stretches too far.

IMHO all it does is allow more flex. A proper bulkhead should only need an interior gasket. In this case, it could mean that the bulkhead isn't tight enough without the extra shim.

Agreed. If it aint broke, don't fix it, but gaskets on both sides means there's no solid contact and your valve will move when you wiggle it. With a gasket on just the inside, the outside is right up against the wall of your vessel and it's a much more solid feeling connection.

Agreed. If it aint broke, don't fix it, but gaskets on both sides means there's no solid contact and your valve will move when you wiggle it. With a gasket on just the inside, the outside is right up against the wall of your vessel and it's a much more solid feeling connection.

Agreed...gonna do some 're-work one night after work.

MrJames said:
I read the article and I think I am using that valve...the question is, how many gaskets did you use??

It uses one o-ring and it's actually on the outside. The key is the washer/shim on the outside; it keeps the o-ring from being pinched out when you torque everything down.

I used to have it similar to what you're doing with two o-rings (one on the inside, one on the outside). It worked ok, just an occasional leak, but I thought it flexed too much. IMO, other than welding or silver soldering a fitting, the Blichmann-style setup is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back