Did I commit yeast genocide?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeepDarkDerp

Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers,

Last night I started my first partial mash. It was a Brewers best Irish stout. I followed the instructions word for word and ended up with an OG of 1.040 (.006 lower then the kit recommends). Here is where I think I messed up. I followed the rehydration instructions on the Nottingham ale yeast and added the yeast to 100mls of about 85F water then let it sit for 15mins. I have attached a picture of my primary and as you can see after 9h there is no action at all. Should I have just pitched the yeast right on top? Can I get another pack of ale yeast and repitch?

I don't see a picture, but based on your description of events, it'll be fine. 9 hours is nothing, just give it more time.

Sorry for the double post. My phone would not let my attach my picture on my original post.

1403453354140.jpg

Rehydrating yeast is a good thing. You usually won't see fermentation activity after 9 hours with dry yeast. So far, nothing to worry about.

Did the rehydration instructions say anything about cooling the yeast down before pitching? Usually you need to gradually blend some chilled wort into the yeast to cool it down before you pitch.

Chris Colby

Editor

http://beerandwinejournal.com/

By the time it was rehydrated it was probably room temperature. Close enough.
Wait another day or two before getting concerned. Everything sounds like it was done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

9 hours no activity is normal. It's taken 12-24 hours for some of my beers to show action depending on oxygenation, temp, gravity, hops, etc.

P.S.
I'd be prepared for a blow off though. The level seems a bit high and Nottingham is a beast yeast.

Thanks for all the information and quick replys! I'm just used to making extract kits and they usually start showing activating after the 6h mark (A little bubbling and foam). I also get a blow off tube set up just incase as Scubadude918 suggested.

Back