Did Founders screw us locals out of KBS??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did I get screwed?

• No, Founders did the best they could in their situation.

• Yes, Founders should take care of their own first. Others can wait til after the expansion!

• Get a life, I can't even buy a decent craft beer where I live!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so here I've been waiting for a year to get a 4-pack of KBS. Went to the local bottle shop to see if they finally got some and nope. One guy there said he heard that they are done distributing it and the bottle shop did not get ANY this year. WTF??

I live less than 2 hours away from the brewery and they can't send a couple of cases up here for the locals?? Apparently they spread themselves so thin distributing to other states that people in MICHIGAN are getting screwed!

Normally I'm pretty calm about stuff like this, but this kind of pisses me off. I've been a staunch local beer advocate for many years now, and Founders is often one of the first names that come out of my mouth when people ask for Michigan beer references. This is how we get paid back for supporting the brewery all of these years??

Now I understand that Founders wants to give their "new friends" a taste of what they've been missing, but it still feels like a big FU to me and others here who have been looking forward to buying a 4-pack all damn year!

If I had even an inkling that they would ship all of their inventory to other states, maybe I would have taken a day off work to drive down to the brewery and have a sip. Anyone check out the video of the line of people waiting to get in for the release? STRETCHED ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BREWERY!

Not sure I feel better having gotten this off my chest. What do you all think?

I like Founder's. I am glad they distro around me. I am sorry if I get a beer that should have been yours.

Founder's has inspired many of my beers and I assume will continue to do so. I am looking at a caffeinated version of Founder's breakfast stout now...(I am secretly hoping mine is better because Founder's is not cheap...)

I hope you can find some KBS! :mug:

Glad I found this thread; to input what we are being told in GA...

I was able to pick up KBS here (GA) a month or so ago; it was VERY limited and most places got only a couple of cases. Most stores here were saying 60-70% of KBS stayed in state this year so that's why it was so limited...I wondered if this really was the case. So now I have no idea where it all went in your neck of the woods. Who knows, everyone points at each other.

I guess they don't distribute in Maryland...so wtf is KBS and why should I be jealous?

Founders' Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Only the most delicious, black, bourbon barrel oatmeal stout ever made by man (or was it GOD??)

I've been planning to brew it this spring to be ready for next winter and wanted to grab a 4-pack for tasting against my own version.

It's about $5 a bottle...

In my opinion, Founders is the best craft beer in the state. My shop carried it this year. I think they do a good job keeping the state stocked. Hope you find some. I recomend making the drive to the pub, if you've never been there, its great. Beer is 10 time better off the tap.

I know with a lot of limited release beers, the distributor (or brewery) will make the decision on a store-by-store basis as to if and how much they get. Might not all be about supply/demand either, you know what I mean?

A few months ago, I asked the guy at the area's best liquor store for craft beer whether he had Founders Porter. He told me that the brewery was expanding and that expansions mess with production and distribution and they were out for the foreseeable future.

If that's true, maybe after the expansion is done, all will be back to normal? Maybe even more beer to go around?

My brother is a beer distributer in WI and very large (hundreds of microbrews maybe over 1000) got one case. No store on his route got more then a case if they could even get that.

Limited distributions usually go out to wherever it makes the most sense. For example, wherever it will sell the quickest and sit the least.

I have no idea. Perhaps your appreciation for Founders does not fall in line with sales figures and distribution volumes made more sense elsewhere.

We have 4 or 5 local brewers/breweries here and, while respectable, they are the last beers I would choose to grab off the shelf.

Maybe the people in Kentucky felt they should get first dibs :p

Hell yea!

Last year a big store I worked at got 22 cases... 1 store. This year they only got a few cases. A small store I work at now got a few cases. I couldn't believe we got 22 cases last year. Still had a bunch in the fall. We had case stacks of it and multiple facings in the cooler. Finally people found out about it and started buying it by the case or 2.

If I were in BFE I couldn't complain, but it's decent sized college town and I'm looking at the only real bottle store up here. They get tons of other micro brew beers from all over.

Hey, for all I know one or two of the guys at the store grabbed it all instead of selling it to the general public.

As a side note, the party store in my own town still has 3 6-packs of Hopslam.

If I were in BFE I couldn't complain, but it's decent sized college town and I'm looking at the only real bottle store up here. They get tons of other micro brew beers from all over.

Hey, for all I know one or two of the guys at the store grabbed it all instead of selling it to the general public.

As a side note, the party store in my own town still has 3 6-packs of Hopslam.

Sorry to tell you, but you are in bfe. I went to school in that small college town, but that was before craft beer was ever stocked in the beer/liquor/video/fishing/knife/gun store (sorry forgot the name). It was the longest year of my life!

Ok, so here I've been waiting for a year to get a 4-pack of KBS. Went to the local bottle shop to see if they finally got some and nope. One guy there said he heard that they are done distributing it and the bottle shop did not get ANY this year. WTF??

I live less than 2 hours away from the brewery and they can't send a couple of cases up here for the locals?? Apparently they spread themselves so thin distributing to other states that people in MICHIGAN are getting screwed!

Normally I'm pretty calm about stuff like this, but this kind of pisses me off. I've been a staunch local beer advocate for many years now, and Founders is often one of the first names that come out of my mouth when people ask for Michigan beer references. This is how we get paid back for supporting the brewery all of these years??

Now I understand that Founders wants to give their "new friends" a taste of what they've been missing, but it still feels like a big FU to me and others here who have been looking forward to buying a 4-pack all damn year!

If I had even an inkling that they would ship all of their inventory to other states, maybe I would have taken a day off work to drive down to the brewery and have a sip. Anyone check out the video of the line of people waiting to get in for the release? STRETCHED ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BREWERY!

Not sure I feel better having gotten this off my chest. What do you all think?

Homer, I agree with you this sucks!! Last year it was available and this year nonexistent. A friend of mine who would cut off an arm for KBS went to the release party and they ran out before he could try it. All he could drink was Nemesis.

BTW, thanks for the cascades, you went above and beyond! :mug:

Sorry to tell you, but you are in bfe. I went to school in that small college town, but that was before craft beer was ever stocked in the beer/liquor/video/fishing/knife/gun store (sorry forgot the name). It was the longest year of my life!

Things have changed since then. They stock a very decent selection now. Although the Founders selection is poor considering what I saw at some other places. The town is a bit bigger.

There is a small brewpub in town, and another place is looking to expand and put in a small brewpub as well.

Well I can recommend the Zymurgy recipe. It's really close.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kbs-clone-recipe-zymurgy-185487/

I know here in VA my local bottle shop never put their couple of cases on the shelf. Only offered them to loyal customers. Same story with Hopslam. Luckily I'm LOYAL :D

That does suck though, they should be taking care of their neighbors first.

Well I can recommend the Zymurgy recipe. It's really close.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kbs-clone-recipe-zymurgy-185487/

I know here in VA my local bottle shop never put their couple of cases on the shelf. Only offered them to loyal customers. Same story with Hopslam. Luckily I'm LOYAL :D

That does suck though, they should be taking care of their neighbors first.

Yeah, I think that was the recipe I was going to try, but now I have nothing to compare to. Oh well, it will probably be just fine, but I won't know how close if I can't compare directly.

Latest posts

Back