Did Coldplay rip Satriani?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
Coldplay Sued For Plagiarism

What do you all think? yes/no?

Here's samples from each song:
Satriani - If I could Fly: [ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FclrtPUquhQ&feature=related]YouTube - Joe Satriani - If I Could Fly[/ame]
Coldplay - Viva la vida: [ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE&feature=related]YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida[/ame]

And some musical analysis:
[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OEGGFJLpbu4&feature=related]YouTube - Did Coldplay copy Joe Satriani? Let's Do the Music Theory: PART 1[/ame]

Coldplay should be sued for being a $hitty band and for playing $hitty music.

Sharing a similar chord progression and meter doesn't mean crap, really. Almost all chord progressions begin and end on the root chord, and almost all rock is played in bars of four beats with an up tempo feel. Rock/pop songs HAVE to have some similarities in order to fit the genre. In fact, a TON of 50's tunes share the EXACT same chord progression, tempo, and feel with a major root (often in the key of C): I, VI, IV, V, I (much like "Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam). The bands that used that musical structure weren't plagiarizing, they were following the recipe for creating a "modern" hit. Unless the sounds are nearly IDENTICAL (for example, Vanilla Ice's infamous bass-line ripoff using the same notes, key, rhythm, instrument, and playing style), there isn't much of a case.

I know, I was just putting it out there: the same could be said about Daft Punk's music sampling:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4]YouTube - Where Daft Punk got their samples from[/ame]

sampling is one thing, blatantly ripping off someone else's song as claiming it's an original is plagiarism. Coldplay can suck a nut.

sampling is one thing, blatantly ripping off someone else's song as claiming it's an original is plagiarism. Coldplay can suck a nut.
I agree. It has to suck to be signed to a major label that makes you pump out album after album and not take the time to make sure that you are not taking a riff from a song that you had heard. But as much as they make in dineros... do the homework Coldplay.

Coldplay has a history of ripping (permissions aside), copying, and just being overall trite...

"Talk" = Kraftwerk's "Computer Love"
"Speed of Sound" drumbeat = drumbeat from Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill"

Also...

Coldplay + Original Creativity = Radiohead

I see the similarities, but this isn't anything new?? people copy off one another all the time:

Musicians, like other artists, often try to emulate the influences they have had in their development. Sometimes they find different ways of presenting those influences and incorporate them in with some of their own original works. Rock artists like Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, U2, and many more have done covers or borrowed riffs. They've also borrowed from country music and traditional folk music and, sometimes, even from classical (i.e. Yes, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, ELO, Queen).

A musical purist could discover "borrowed music" in just about any genre--including classical music--and some authorities in the study of music have proven that the practice of covering or borrowing parts of previously written musical pieces has occurred for centuries, as has duplication of many different types of art--"imitation is the greatest form of flattery".

Moral ethics require us to give credit where it's due, but the idea of paying for a tune that may have been written before (whether it is an exact duplicate or it just sounds close) is a purely 20th-21st century capitalistic take on art.

quoted from another forum I frequent.

also:

I just saw an exhibit at the Musee D'Orsay that showed how Pablo Picasso was so inspired by a work of Edouard Manet's, that he re-interpreted it in his own style. And I don't think anyone considers Picasso a hack.

tmp_6fea2b193e0438be4bdf0b70cb2525f4.gif

Edouard Manet
Le déjeuner sur l'herbe (Lunch on the Grass)

tmp_cab14e9587357c8f11cf8350daffe833.gif

Pablo Picasso
Le déjeuner sur l'herbe after Manet

Musée d'Orsay: Picasso / Manet: Le déjeuner sur l'herbe

and let's not forget:

[youtube]Vp-is6S_b_g[/youtube]

[youtube]MMSFX1Vb3xQ[/youtube]

just food for thought

The only person it really matter anything too at this point is Joe Satriani and I am sure he is just looking for a paycheck rather than protection of "his" arrangment of chords.

Either way, it's crap.

I see the similarities, but this isn't anything new??

Very true, but I think there is a difference between using other artists as influences and out right copying them. It's really in the intent. An artist that uses other artists as influences can still have creativity. But if they're blatantly copying melodies and drumbeats with the intent of passing it off as their own, well then they're lacking in creativity and losing credibility as artists. It's not to say that their music isn't worth a listen, but for those artists to bask in the limelight for it is wrong.

If it was just chord progressions, then I'd say whatever, but when it's a melody played by Joe Satriani, then it's the same as lyrics. He's literally expressing himself vocally through his guitar. (if you've heard him sing, then you can see why he prefers the guitar...)

The basic melody is practically note-for-note.

I expected a much more blatant rip-off than that. Unless it was pointed out I probably wouldn't have been able to tell.

Checked it out again. This is just pathetic. Yes, it's only a few seconds of song, but it's the hookiest part of the song. Coldplay probably heard it a couple of times, and just couldn't get it out of their head. Or maybe the guitarist had been practicing and the band said Hey, let's make a song like that, nobody knows Satriani!

Of course, Coldplay use it as the main melody, while Joe's song continues on into many different tangents, as is his normal mode.

It's obvious that CP completely ripped off the hook, the part of the tune that catches your attention and makes you want to listen again and again. I think they should have done a better job of making it their own.

Back