Did chocolate stall my fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I just got finished racking my stout to secondary on top of some roasted coconut. It was in the primary for 2 weeks and the airlock had stopped bubbling easily within the first week. I know I should have taken the reading before racking to secondary, but I haven't had any stuck ferm issues yet, so I just racked to the next vessel and siphoned off a reading at the tail end of the transfer.

Well, the reading was 1.019...not terrible, but not great (1.012 estimated FG). But here's the thing. I used a mixture of 8 oz of cocoa powder that was added after flameout. I noticed when racking that there was a thick layer of this "chocolate" mixture at the bottom of the bucket and I'm sure I ended up with a decent bit of that in my sample.

According to that sample, I'm at about 4.2 ABV, which I'm actually fine with (as long as it tastes okay)...but is it more likely that my reading wasn't accurate because of the chocolate sludge that got into my sample?

I'm gonna take another sample before kegging either way...especially since it looks like a second ferm has started in the secondary...so maybe those extra points will ferment out??

US-04....Yea, attenuation looks low. I'd warm it up a bit in secondary and let it sit another week or longer. See if there is any change after a week at say 68 degrees.

If not....so what! It sounds delicious!! :mug:

US-04....Yea, attenuation looks low. I'd warm it up a bit in secondary and let it sit another week or longer. See if there is any change after a week at say 68 degrees.

If not....so what! It sounds delicious!! :mug:

I've got it sitting right around 68 right now in the secondary so we'll see what happens...just hope enough yeasties made it over...

But yeah, it smelled and tasted phenomenal, so even if there isn't much change other than some coconut flavors imparted, I think I'll still be pretty happy with it...

Thanks for the tip...

I think your suppose to ferment 04 between 65-70? Did you use extract?The yeasties will make it over otherwise you would never have carbonated beer if they didnt.At least botteling them.

Back