Did any of your beers sound like they were going to explode

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
image-87599205.jpg

image-3893426231.jpg

I know that saying this will call the attention of the blowoff gremlins, but I have not yet experienced an explosive blowoff for any of my brews. I have had a little krausen leak out into the airlock, but never anything that a damp papertowel wouldn't fix.

With that said, keep your eyes open kids for a post from me with a spectacular exploded fermenter with schrapnel and beer all over probably coming in the next few weeks.

I've had blow offs look just like that. We were watching vids & drinkin some beers one evening,when on the fermenter stand to her right (almost right in front of her),a loud POP! as the lid,blow off & all,blew off the ale pail. Good thing she didn't get sprayed!

I've had a couple buckets nearly explode. Watch to make sure that your blowoff tube is flush with or above the bottom of the stopper on the bucket.

Mine once was stuck in far beyond the bottom of the stopper, and the krausen layer had built up so high that the tube was no longer above it in the headspace, and ergo no CO2 was escaping.

Back