Dick neighbor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor has done this to me but called the cops instead of talking to me. Very cowardly to not walk over and knock on my door and ask me to move my car and that it is disturbing him. when all said and done he called about 4 times. On the last one I caught the cop out there and talked to him and explained what was going on. He went over and told my neighbor to shut the bless up basically and stop calling them because its a public street, anyone can park there. Neighbor hasn't even looked my way since then, that cowardly prick. If he would've called one more time I was going to take him to court for harassment. I guess some people think they own the world.

Umm... I hate HOAs but if you want to live in that type of community good on you.

But seriously, who cares if you can see an rv from the street behind a fence? That's pretty ridiculous. And don't you have a right to privacy witch covers anything behind 6 foot or taller fence (obviously you shouldn't be able to really see through 6" of it)? Kind of like having you're blinds closed, even though some one may still be able to peep in?

Because if there is a rule against it, you are breaking the rule. The RV is just an example, but the point is the same

My neighbor has done this to me but called the cops instead of talking to me. Very cowardly to not walk over and knock on my door and ask me to move my car and that it is disturbing him. when all said and done he called about 4 times. On the last one I caught the cop out there and talked to him and explained what was going on. He went over and told my neighbor to shut the bless up basically and stop calling them because its a public street, anyone can park there. Neighbor hasn't even looked my way since then, that cowardly prick. If he would've called one more time I was going to take him to court for harassment. I guess some people think they own the world.

If there is no rule against havint your car parked there, then there is no code or rule to enforce, is there?

From the "screw that dick!" tone of this thread, I can certainly understand people not wanting to confront someone over a violation...

Also my belief is if I am on a public street, then noone has the right to call me in if I move it within the time periods. I wasnt even parked in front of his house.

Oh the first time this dick called was on Christmas too. I would've been pissed if I was on vacation and my car would've been towed because he feels the need to keep the public street clear for his vision pleasures or whatever it may be.

Because if there is a rule against it, you are breaking the rule. The RV is just an example, but the point is the same

If there is no rule against havint your car parked there, then there is no code or rule to enforce, is there?

From the "screw that dick!" tone of this thread, I can certainly understand people not wanting to confront someone over a violation...

I'm not into a that type of reaction. I just want a good relationship with my neighbors and be able to communicate with the problems we are having.

Most of the time these days neighbors don't talk to each other or even wave. It's sad but its just how things are, at least by me. Luckily I'm not completely surrounded but one neighbor right next to me is fixin for a lashing if I'm not around to calm the wife down for a number of little annoying things they do.

Only way to avoid it it to live on your own private island. Wouldn't that be excellent?

Well, I do have a little bit of Sanford in me, and I don't live in a HOA, but I know where you're coming from in terms of passive aggressive a-hole neighbors. My previous house was 3 houses on a common driveway. I was the first one there, and I did all of the common drive road maintenance (plowing, side lawn cutting, resealing). I never asked for a dime of their money or a minute of their time or effort. One neighbor pitched in when he was around and we got along just great. The other neighbor, sucked...

- She called the cops one day while I was brewing outside because I didn't have a fire permit and was using a propane burner. The cop's reaction was absolutely priceless.
- She'd leave me notes explaining that a car up on jacks is 'unsightly, not environmentally friendly, and drives local property values down'. She never once actually said anything to me in words, but rather would wait until I left for the day and would stick a letter on my door. First, it's my damn yard. We aren't in an HOA, I don't pay dues, and I could give two hoots about your property value. Don't like it? Move...

Just a point of clarification: no HOA. I live in the remnants of an old mining town that's slightly younger than the State itself.

Also, as an 8 year member of my town's community council / planning & zoning board, this was a section of the County's code that I was unfamiliar with.

The section of the code referenced is "long-term parking". Long-term parking is defined as 24-hours. So anyone in the county that parks their car on the street on Friday after work and doesn't move it until they drive to work on Monday will have technically illegally parked their car for 1.5 days and their car could be subject to towing.

Its important to note: this is not the abandoned or nuisance vehicle section of the Code.

...Also, as an 8 year member of my town's community council / planning & zoning board, this was a section of the County's code that I was unfamiliar with.

Hmmmm...

Not to suggest anything, but this bit of info might be important. Could it be that someone who'd been cited recently has been keeping an eye on you, possibly with an axe to grind?

Still trying to remain neutral, if you are on the planning and zoning board, you must know that you are a lightning rod for every nut job in the area.

Anyway, best of luck and ignore all the comments suggesting to retaliate in some way, that way lies madness.

Also, as an 8 year member of my town's community council / planning & zoning board, this was a section of the County's code that I was unfamiliar with.

The section of the code referenced is "long-term parking". Long-term parking is defined as 24-hours. So anyone in the county that parks their car on the street on Friday after work and doesn't move it until they drive to work on Monday will have technically illegally parked their car for 1.5 days and their car could be subject to towing.

Its important to note: this is not the abandoned or nuisance vehicle section of the Code.

As a member of the council, you should be able to get the ball rolling on changing the code. Parking one's car in front of one's own house for the weekend certainly sounds reasonable to me, odds are good it'll sound reasonable to the rest of the council too.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
As a member of the council, you should be able to get the ball rolling on changing the code. Parking one's car in front of one's own house for the weekend certainly sounds reasonable to me, odds are good it'll sound reasonable to the rest of the council too.
Regards, GF.

He's on local zoning board. The code he referred to is a county ordinance over which he has zero jurisdiction.

I agree that one should be able to park in front of their own home over the weekend. I imagine that the ordinance was passed in response to a recurring problem and is only enforced when necessary.

In the 8 years I served (I've been off for a year, term limits) there was only one thing I did that was controversial. My one and only slick-politic moment.

The general market 's new owner wanted to reopen after being closed for a couple years. To reopen, they needed a conditional use permit. A couple people in town wanted to prohibit beer sales or at least prohibit Sunday beer sales.

The new owner said that he wouldn't be able to keep the store profitable without beer sales and wouldn't open it it he wasn't allowed to have beer sales.

I made the point that it was better to have the general store open with beer sales than closed and vacant.

The issue of beer sales was talked about for a while. I got tired of it and moved that the conditional permit be granted. It passed unanimously.

A month later, someone saw them selling beer at the market and reported it to the community council member that was against it. A big email chain went out and the County told us that they were going to revoke his permit.

When i got up to speed on the email chain, I pointed out to everyone that my motion to grant the permit did not prohibit beer sales. The county double checked the audio and agreed.

For the coup de grâce, I pointed out that the community council member that wanted to prohibit beer sales had recently sold his house in town. He was kicked off the council before the next meeting.

That was fun. :eek:)

I suppose there are a couple neo-prohibitionists that could still be upset about that. But, the general market went out of business again. So, they'd have to be pretty damn petty to still be hanging onto it.

Back