Diacetyl rest for first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
Would it be reasonable to move to a diacetyl rest now? I used WLP800 and fermented at 52 degrees. There was no mention of diacetyl production in the description of the yeast on their website.

The beer was brewed two weeks ago and has gone from bubbles every 8 seconds or so to bubbles every minute. Normally I would take a gravity reading (and I know it is best practice) but want to avoid uncorking the airlock if at all possible.

Gotta take that gravity reading to ensure terminal gravity...although if the yeast are done fermenting there should be no problem ramping up temp for a D-rest.

Ideally the D-rest is performed with some active fermentation remaining. But it's still okay to make it happen now.

Think of it like a dinner party, where the guests finish a large meal and then leave the table to recline on the couch. It might be hard to get them back to the table for a bit of dessert. But if the dessert is positioned in front of them while they're still picking crumbs off the dinner plate, they are more likely to accept a piece.

Of course this could just be my imagination. 🙃

Yeah kinda pointless to do one now honestly.

how much yeast did you pitch?

Merry Christmas everyone.
Yeah kinda pointless to do one now honestly.

how much yeast did you pitch?
I used a decanted 3 liter starter for 5.5 gallons.

Gotta take that gravity reading to ensure terminal gravity...although if the yeast are done fermenting there should be no problem ramping up temp for a D-rest.
I have to agree with this 110%. I hate to remove airlocks but this is ultimately the best way.

Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is to determine if a
d-rest is actually needed.
What's the best/most accurate way to do this? I've read to take a sample, let it warm up to room temp and taste?

Assuming a rest isn't needed, how would it hurt if I did one anyways?

What's the best/most accurate way to do this? I've read to take a sample, let it warm up to room temp and taste?

That would tell you if you have diacetyl. But you could also still have diacetyl precursor that could turn into diacetyl later. The way to really find out is to do a forced diacetyl test.

It would be a little longer before you are drinking your beer.

It wouldn't hurt, but why do an extra step if not actually necessary?

Back