Diacetyl Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first couple of problems really didn't have a problem with diacetyl, but my last two have had some serious problems. The first one, I think I pitched the yeast at too high of a temperature. But the last one, I got the temp down to 67 for pitching and fermented at 65 (Amber Ale with American II yeast from Wyeast). I let it sit in the bottle for 12 days at 60 degrees for bottle conditioning. The smell and flavor make it nearly undrinkable...unappealing at the least. I didn't make a starter, but I haven't made starters before and it turned out okay. Can anyone help point me in the right direction for help?

Bumping up the temperature to 68 or so, after active fermentation is done, can help keep the yeast from going dormant and let them clean up. Highly flocculent yeast strains can drop out quickly after three or four days. Gently swirling the fermenter to get them off the bottom can also help.
I once had a batch that I fermented with Wyeast 1968 that still tasted like butter after doing all of these things. It's the only batch I have ever dumped.

Back