diacetyl in sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty25

Reaction score
I have a lambic and sour brown that are from August/may of last year. I tried them out to consider bottling/blending/fruiting and they are extreamly buttery. My beers have a very small pelicle and have been in a glass carboy the duration of fermentation.

1. If I wait a while will Brett kill/eat diacetyl and poop out awesomeness. If so how long.
2. I haven't given the Brett much 02 sould I barrel them to gain 02 to feed Brett and kill diacetyl?
3. Should I pitch fresh Brett in these beers in case the Brett is dead?
4. Any other suggestions?

Eta these beers have been fermenting in the low 60's (maybe even mid to high 50's) in my basement all year no temp swings, do they need warmed up?

I have a lambic and sour brown that are from August/may of last year. I tried them out to consider bottling/blending/fruiting and they are extreamly buttery. My beers have a very small pelicle and have been in a glass carboy the duration of fermentation.

1. If I wait a while will Brett kill/eat diacetyl and poop out awesomeness. If so how long.
2. I haven't given the Brett much 02 sould I barrel them to gain 02 to feed Brett and kill diacetyl?

Eta these beers have been fermenting in the low 60's (maybe even mid to high 50's) in my basement all year no temp swings, do they need warmed up?
1. yes, but who knows how long it will take.
2. i wouldn't add O2 at this point. it will do more harm than good. what kind of vessel have these beers been aging in? chances are you're already letting some air in.
3. brett doesn't die. it never dies. MWAHAHAHAAHAAAAaaa.... (seriously tho, if you added brett early on, it's still in there. what brett did you add? was it part of a souring mix? adding some fresh brett can't hurt, either.

warming up the beer wouldn't hurt. should make things happen faster.

the fact that both of your sours are buttery makes me wonder if an infection of some sort isn't responsible. i would think long and hard before re-using the cakes from these beers.

My suggestion is have patience. Sour beers can go through some pretty funky phases. There is no set timeline for these beers and you will find that almost every fermentation will be different as they are affected by so many factors.

Just give it time and sample every 2-3 months. The beer will tell you when it's ready not the other way around :)

Is Pediococcus present in these beers? If so, the diacetyl isn't surprising; Pedio can make a lot of it. Brettanomyces will take care of it over time, but as others have said, it can take time. It should take less time at temps higher than you've got it, so I'd move it to a warmer location if feasible. Don't add O2; You'll accelerate/encourage ethyl acetate formation.

You can always add more Brett. Whether it'll go any faster is probably debatable. As with all sours, let it ride!

Ah yes forgot to add some important stuff. These beers were fermented with roselare and wyeast lambic blend. So Pedio yep

Pitch some brett and/or dregs from commercial sours/brett beers, get them warmer and see what happens. Those cultures are very....timid. They can use a little helping hand from other sources.

So I racked the beer into my sour barrel and pitched a half vial of Brux and lamb brett cultures. I also added in a few dregs of Cantillon gueuze. I pulled a sample last night and it has cleaned up. I guess some fresh brett and O2 to help it clean up was all it needed. Bottled it today so another month or two and it will be ready to drink at the age of 19 months

Latest posts

Back