DFH squall yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEKvt

Reaction score
Just bottled a beer that was fermented with the dregs of DFH squall. Anyone have any experience with this yeast they want to share? I know, little late as I already did a brew with it, but I washed the yeast and saved it for future batches. Was hoping to get others experiences with flavors and temps.

Here is what I did:

We had a bit of a heatwave here in VT so my normally 60-65 basement sat at about 70F during the ferment. The beer was a Marris otter/Simcoe smash that tasted great going into bottles, but had a little bit of a green apple smell to it that may have been due to fermentation temp(?). I didn't get that flavor when sipping on the beer I pulled for hygrometer sampling. Dregs were started in a 1.040 1L starter that was washed and refilled with another 1L of 1.040 wort. The batch came in at 1.056 and after 14 days was sitting at 1.006. I bottled on day 17 with it at 1.005ish (best I can read from the hygrometer). I'll update with finished product if there is interest.

Latest posts

Back