DFH 120 Min:)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
I am super happy to report that I managed to get my hands on 4 bottles of this today! Holy Crap! Anyway, whats the best temp to age this at? I have them at 55 deg with my bock right now. Will that work or should I put them in the fridge?

I've had it, and I'm not sure I'd call it tasty for the style. I felt it was way too sweet and severely lacked hop character (which is probably because it was so sweet). Honestly, I think most of DFH beers are severely overrated.

Alot of them are gimmicky, but they brew some solid beers and 120 min is one of them IMO.

I've had it, and I'm not sure I'd call it tasty for the style. I felt it was way too sweet and severely lacked hop character (which is probably because it was so sweet). Honestly, I think most of DFH beers are severely overrated.

I agree. I think the vast majority of them are too sweet. I do generally prefer a dryer beer though.

Congrats on the find. I came across 6 bottles last month I'm saving for a good day. I was lucky enough that the bar next to the bottle shop was tapping their keg of 120 the next day. It's not a beer for everyone but for those of us that like it... ohhh, so good.

Definitely not for everyone, that being said, it is a great brew. Interesting to taste that vs. a West Coast Style IPA or DIPA. I am drinking Rogue Yellow Snow IPA as we speak, and I would buy that every day if I could.

I sampled an amazing III IPA at mt LHBS yesterday. Boneyard "Notorious BIG" 14% ABV, yet it tasted less sweet and cloying than I remember DFH 90 min being.

Aging DFH120 seems like a waste of a decent brew that's probably the best it's going to be when you bought it...

Cheers!

This... I have not heard of people aging IPA because the hop aromas and flavors fade...

I would drink one fresh than one every 6 months. beer geek nation said 120 gets real nnice after a year of cellaring. Sam from dfh said after a couple years its starts taking on my shari like qualities.

I agree. I think the vast majority of them are too sweet. I do generally prefer a dryer beer though.

I agree on the dryer beers being best. Stones beers hit me deep in my soul and are the best brewery in the usa IMO. Though I love dfh cause there beers are different. More palate expanders for me.

i had some 120 for the first time a few weeks ago on tap. i didn't like it at all. horrible alcohol bite and way to sweet. i wonder if it was just too young. i'll have to try and get a bottle and age it.

I plan on trying one soon and aging the other one for a year or more and comparing notes on how it aged. From what I've read it really does age well. I'm typically a fan of nice dry, super hoppy IPAs as well (For instance last night I had Stone Ruination IPA and it was incredibly delicious), but I don't mind branching out and trying crazy variants of different styles every now and then.

At a beer dinner recently I had a 2005 120, and it was amazing. Hop notes do fade, and that leaves you with what essentially is a barleywine. For the ABV (15-20%), it's dangerously smooth after 4-5 years.

Latest posts

Back