Dextrose v brewing sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wigster

Reaction score
Hi guys i was hoping i could get help for what probably seems like a simple question to most.
I’m about to start a brew and it says to add 1kg of dextrose, i went to my supply cupboard to find i only have brewing sugar. Would this be ok to use instead or will it ruin the brew?
Thanks in advance

AFAIK, "brewing sugar" is Dextrose.

You could also use regular sugar in the brew instead, and save your brewing sugar (dextrose) for priming when bottling. In many cases you may never detect a difference.

Thanks for that. I’ve went ahead with it, hopefully it’ll turn out nice. I use carbonation drops when bottling for an easier process but i think I’ll give the dextrose a go for priming this time. Thanks again

Thanks for that. I’ve went ahead with it, hopefully it’ll turn out nice. I use carbonation drops when bottling for an easier process but i think I’ll give the dextrose a go for priming this time. Thanks again
YVW!
How nicely you beer will turn out depends more on other ingredients (and process) than on the dextrose. ;)
Dextrose adds no or very little flavor to beer, it ferments out completely, boosting the alcohol level, while "thinning out" the body of the beer.

If you use Dextrose (or any other sugar) for priming, you'd need to fairly accurately measure the amount you add to each bottle. Alternatively, you could pre-dissolve the Dextrose in some water, and add the sugar solution with a graduated syringe to each bottle.

Instead, most brewers will dissolve all the priming sugar needed for the whole batch in some boiling water. Use a priming calculator to determine how much sugar to use. Then put that sugar solution on the bottom of their bottling bucket, and rack the beer from the fermenter on top of that. Give it a gentle stir to make sure it's completely mixed, before bottling from there.

I’ll give that a try, thanks again for the info, very much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back