dextrose or brewing sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkey17

Reaction score
Hey Folks

Was just about to start a brew and wondered if using dextrose or sugar to bulk prime

any idea on whats the best to use

ive always primed each bottle with either coopers drops or sugar ,but thinking this time to bulk prime as it sounds alot easier

Excellent thanks for that

looked at what ya have bottled ,,, double choc rasberry stout that sounds interisting ,, from kit or all in

Excellent thanks for that

looked at what ya have bottled ,,, double choc rasberry stout that sounds interisting ,, from kit or all in

I built that recipe myself years ago. I wasn't a huge fan of it, but after a year of bottle conditioning, it was excellent. It could probably still be good sooner if I cut down on the raspberry...I don't do extract anymore, so I haven't brewed it in awhile. I also used raspberry extract (in my opinion, the only extract worth using in brewing), but would switch to fresh next time. I have the recipe posted if you're interested.

I thought corn sugar = dextrose = "brewing sugar", but I might be wrong. I typically use DME for bottling.

one thing id recommend to folks who've used carb drops but are switching to other sugars is to bulk prime in a bottling bucket rather than individual bottles. With the tabs/drops it works fine but mixing 113 grams of dextrose is much easier to do in one five gallon container than many containers that make five gallons.

That being said, any sugar should do the job well if used in the right proportion. Heres a handy way to figure out how much you need for two popular sugars, corn and cane.

have a good one!

one thing id recommend to folks who've used carb drops but are switching to other sugars is to bulk prime in a bottling bucket rather than individual bottles. With the tabs/drops it works fine but mixing 113 grams of dextrose is much easier to do in one five gallon container than many containers that make five gallons.

That being said, any sugar should do the job well if used in the right proportion. Heres a handy way to figure out how much you need for two popular sugars, corn and cane.

have a good one!

ok question for ye about this dextrose ,,,, its states on the cooper kits to add 8grams of sugar per liter thats 200gm if im using a 25ltr bucket ,,,

but according to yourself its 113 grams of dextrose ,,, ?

just a question

ok question for ye about this dextrose ,,,, its states on the cooper kits to add 8grams of sugar per liter thats 200gm if im using a 25ltr bucket ,,,

but according to yourself its 113 grams of dextrose ,,, ?

just a question

Yeah no problem, I forgot about conversions!

I use the nomograph and chart in the print copy of how to brew on all of my american pub ales. The charts are designed for US measurements, which I then convert to grams for ease of measurement.

25L is more than 5 US gal, so it should be more anyhow. by the nomograph the amount of priming sugar recommended by coopers leaves your co2 a little high but acceptable.

to use the nomograph, make sure you're converted down to 5 US gal or 19 L

5.32 oz (152 grams) at a temperature of 65* F (18*C) will get you about 3 volumes of co2. Thats fairly high, but acceptable in certain styles. Its pretty close to the limit of what regular glass bottles can hold.

I'd bring down the sugar a little bit if it was my beer. for 6 gallons 136 grams of corn sugar will get you 2.5 volumes of co2, the standard for american pale ales and such. For an english bitter bring it down even more, belgian golden strong ale, bump it up.

What kind of beer are you making?

Hey thats great thanks for that info

im just about to start coopers Canadian Blonde it states to use 8grams per ltr of priming sugar that does seam alot ,,,,

this kit makes 6 U.S Gallons (48 U.S Pints ),,,,, that is 5 Gallons(40 pints in my money lol ,,,, jezz are yer pints smaller than ours id have to drink more to make up the difference if i went to the states lol

Sometimes our pints are 16 oz of imperial ipa! :drunk:

anyway, I see you havn't been on the boards long so let me be among the first to say welcome. I'm sure over the next couple weeks an irishman around here will be flooded with irish red and dry stout questions.

Welcome aboard!

Hey philrose

Thanks a million for the welcome,nope havent been here that long have been brewing not long either year or 2 ,,which isnt long im still learning and finding out whats the best way to do things ,, its all a learning curve ,every new batch brings its own new issues ,which is great

about to start a new project soon ,in the coming weeks gonna build my own kegging system from a fridge i have here ,, have never kegged beer before only bottled so its time for me to upgrade i think lol ,, have a friend thats gonna do it too ,he has alot more experiance than i do with all this,,

so again thanks for the welcome and more than likely will be speaking again soon

well ..

ive bottled my canadian Blonde beer ,, its been in the bottle about 4 days now ,, tried a bottle today ,, its very clear ,,, i used 150grams of glucose instead of drops this time and ive noticed the difference ,,

the beer isnt as gassy as always ,,

thanks for the hints ,, its a learning curve and this batch has to be my best so far thanks to yer help ,,, thanks guys ,

im gonna start another batch this week and do it all again

Latest posts

Back