DEX/DME/partial mash equation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powtownbrew

Reaction score
Im doing a Cooper Stout LME that needs DEX to be added, and im substituting the 1kg DEX with 1kg DME since it will give e better body and flavour. In theory the DEX is 100% fermentable and the DME is 55 -75% fermentable so here is my question .... Im going to add a little twist here i am Partial mashing - 1 lb oats and 1/2 lb caramel crystal barley ... ruffly how much fermentable sugars am i adding with this partial mash in a count the say 65% fermentable sugars in the DME..

Im not looking for a high alcohol stout say a 5.5 or 6 % would be nice.

just need to clarify this to feel good about my next brew ..

happy brewing~

Im going to add a little twist here i am Partial mashing - 1 lb oats and 1/2 lb caramel crystal barley ... ruffly how much fermentable sugars am i adding with this partial mash in a count the say 65% fermentable sugars in the DME..

Im not looking for a high alcohol stout say a 5.5 or 6 % would be nice.

just need to clarify this to feel good about my next brew ..

happy brewing~

if its mashed with a base malt the oats are potentally 70% or 1.006 per pound in a 5 gallon batch. the crystal not much at all. how much base malt are you adding to this partial mash?

Im going to partial mash - 1 lb oats and 1/2 lb caramel crystal barley ... ruffly how much fermentable sugars am i adding with this partial mash.

None! ....... well, you will get about 8 to 10 points from the Crystal, the same as you would get from steeping it.

The oats need a base malt to convert the starches to sugars (2-row or the like), and there are also starches in the crystal that could be converted if mashed.

If you mashed the Crystal and Oats with 2 lbs of 2-row, you could replace the sugar (or your DME substitution). If you mashed it around 148 - 150 F, it would also be very fermentable.

the LME is a 1.7kg net weight.. . thanks you beer folk for the great feed back! i was boasting to some beer friends that work at the Townsite brewing here in Powell River B.C. about how awesome this forum is ... im going to be helping a friends dad with an all grain brew on monday cant wait to learn and pick his beer brew brain!

Back