Detailed Water Report but some fields are in MOL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried my google fu but this was beyond my skill. Does anyone have a good idea how to convert some of these (specially MOL) fields into PPM? I tried to use Bru'n water and Beer Smith. I am moving in a few months and this was the water report. I am really thankful for such a detailed free water report but its a bit beyond my skill to convert all of this into something useful to build my water profile...

Using the "Averages" from the easier to read summery bar I think I have:
CA-2.6 MG-11.8 NA-3 but S04-? CI-? HC03-?

I could be way off with that anyhow....

This part I could understand....

upload_2019-7-4_11-46-17.png

But from what I understand I need some of the other fields from this table...

upload_2019-7-4_11-48-40.png

I am sure I could send a sample back to the US to a lab so I can understand all of this in PPM or MG/L but I was hoping to get my homework done ahead of time so I can land with my feet on the ground and my hands brewing!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated ahead of time....

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-4_11-46-4.png
    upload_2019-7-4_11-46-4.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 34
Mole is simply a designation for a particular quantity, like a "dozen". Atoms are small, so scientists (Avogadro) designated a large number to help express the large number of atoms in weighable quantities more easily.

When converting moles to grams, just multiply by the atomic weight. Atomic weight is expressed as grams per mole (AKA Daltons).
Grams per cubic meter and ppm are equivalent. The 1000 L per m^3 and 1000 mg per gram mathematically cancel during the conversion.

For example, calcium
2.64 mol/m^3 * 40.1 g/mol * .001 m^3/L * 1000 mg/g = 106 mg/L

Last edited:
so just so I understand this....take the atomic weight of the substance (Ill throw in Calcium to test this....2.64 MOL multiplied by the atomic weight of calcium 40.078 which gives me 105.8 and that is the amount in PPM?

Greatly appreciate the assistance....

To convert your total hardness (permanent hardness, due to calcium and magnesium ions) and alkalinity (carbonate hardness, which generally equates well to temporary hardness) to ppm (mg/L), multiply their respective dH (German Hardness) values by 17.848.

One potential problem I see here is that these are blended water ranges. You will never know what your actual water analyticals are from one day to the next.

One potential problem I see here is that these are blended water ranges. You will never know what your actual water analyticals are from one day to the next.
Good point.
That's why I use RO water instead of my tap water which is blended from several sources and also changes seasonally (lake water). Also, not fighting against alkalinity is nice for the mostly pale styles I brew.

I agree a RO install would be ideal but this is going to be temporary quarters for 3 years and I dont own it and am forbidden from installing anything. I would have to source bottled water if I was going to go that route

We could play some wild guessing games with the top bar values (as per my usual habit):

Total hardness (avg, dH) = 17.9 dH = 319.48 ppm

319.48 = 2.5*Ca+2 + 4.12*Mg+2

Presume 80% of hardness due to Ca+2 and 20% of hardness due to Mg+2

0.80 * 319.48 = 255.58
Ca+2 = 255.58/2.5
Ca+2 = 102.2 ppm

0.20 * 319.48 = 63.9
Mg+2 = 63.9/4.12
Mg+2 = 15.5 ppm

102.2 ppm and 15.5 ppm vs. Ca = 105.8 ppm actual (on average), and Mg = 9.5 ppm actual (on average)

Not bad for guessing midrange Ca++ and Mg++ from only the average of the reported total hardness.

Might have worked out better, sans that none of the values they report as "averages" are derived from (high + low)/2, which is all I had to go by for "average" total hardness.

That's a really good deal! I'll be overseas so that won't be an option but maybe I can find something similar! All in all from what I can tell the water seems to look pretty good though after punching in those numbers

We could play some wild guessing games with the top bar values (as per my usual habit):

Total hardness (avg, dH) = 17.9 dH = 319.48 ppm

319.48 = 2.5*Ca+2 + 4.12*Mg+2

Presume 80% of hardness due to Ca+2 and 20% of hardness due to Mg+2

0.80 * 319.48 = 255.58
Ca+2 = 255.58/2.5
Ca+2 = 102.2 ppm

0.20 * 319.48 = 63.9
Mg+2 = 63.9/4.12
Mg+2 = 15.5 ppm

102.2 ppm and 15.5 ppm vs. Ca = 105.8 ppm actual (on average), and Mg = 9.5 ppm actual (on average)

Not bad for guessing midrange Ca++ and Mg++ from only the average of the reported total hardness.

Might have worked out better, sans that none of the values they report as "averages" are derived from (high + low)/2, which is all I had to go by for "average" total hardness.
You have too much fun with this ;)

Glad to have found this thread - I'm also based in Germany currently so I have the exact same water report to work with.

Thanks to the tips in this thread, I was able to calculate almost all values that I need for the Water Report Input tab in Bru'n Water spreadsheet. However, I'm not 100% sure if my bicarbonate value is correct.

I took my average total hardness (dH) of 18.7 and multiplied 17.848, which gives 333.7 ppm. When I input this value in the converter in Bru'n Water, it calculates the bicarbonate value of 405.9 ppm, which seems very high according to ranges I've found online.

Is that possible or am I miscalculating somehow?

Glad to have found this thread - I'm also based in Germany currently so I have the exact same water report to work with.

Thanks to the tips in this thread, I was able to calculate almost all values that I need for the Water Report Input tab in Bru'n Water spreadsheet. However, I'm not 100% sure if my bicarbonate value is correct.

I took my average total hardness (dH) of 18.7 and multiplied 17.848, which gives 333.7 ppm. When I input this value in the converter in Bru'n Water, it calculates the bicarbonate value of 405.9 ppm, which seems very high according to ranges I've found online.

Is that possible or am I miscalculating somehow?

Total Hardness is not alkalinity. It is the measure of your waters calcium and magnesium ions, and not the measure of its bicarbonate ions. Total Hardness = 2.5*Ca + 4.12*Mg

OTOH, carbonate hardness is the measure of your waters alkalinity. 9.7 to 13.9 dH = 173 to 248 ppm alkalinity (211 to 303 ppm bicarbonate)

You can't just take analytical averages though. You will never achieve "real" water analysis via that means. Real water means water for which the mEq's (milliequivalents) of cations and anions are in balance (I.E., have the same value). Averages will never mEq balance unless by blind luck.

Last edited:
Back