Des Moines area breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhurst111

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for breweries to hit when in Des Moines? I'm only going to be able to explore the town for Sunday afternoon / evening.

Google turns up a couple brew pubs, but nothing with great reviews.

Thanks,
Mike

Confluence!!!!!!! It's my favorite. There Black IPA is fantastic. They don't serve food but you can bring it in. Exile brewing has food and they have more German beers.

Braufessor said:
Here is another good option..... not a brewery..... but, I am pretty sure you will be able to find a beer or two that you like.....
http://elbaitshop.com/

How could I forget my favorite bar in Des Moines? They serve confluence as well as 1000 other beers.

Des Moines has breweries now? When I lived there you had to go to Minnesota for that. Next time I'm in town, I'll have to pick up a dozen or so Tasty Tacos and head over to check out Confluence.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll hit confluence on the way from the airport to the hotel and grab a growler for relaxing Sun night. Might try to convince someone to be the DD and head to el bait shop and the German place on Monday night - they appear to be pretty close to each other. The conference / hotel is out in west Des Moines.

Just got to confluence brewing. Trying a flight of thier farmer johns, des moines ipa and thier black ipa.

mhurst111 said:
Just got to confluence brewing. Trying a flight of thier farmer johns, des moines ipa and thier black ipa.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddd????????? What do you think.

Confluence was great. Awesome location, lots of room. The black IPA was the best of the ones I tried. The ipa was good, wasn't a fan of the farmer johns. Matt the bartender let me sample anything I wanted. Considering they were trying to figure out what they needed to do for some big bike ride that is happening in a couple days, everyone there was nice.

After confluence, I headed to el bait shop. That is a bar!! Great food, knowledgable bartenders and 300+ craft beers....it's a little piece of heaven in Des Moines...

they were trying to figure out what they needed to do for some big bike ride that is happening in a couple days, everyone there was nice.

Some big bike ride = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAGBRAI

Every year for the past 40+ years, there is a week long bike ride across Iowa. 50-80 miles a day usually. 15,000+ people participate. Huge parties in all the towns that the route goes through. Generally people participate in groups, and have R.V.s or old remodeled school buses to carry stuff (tents and beer). Each night, a "destination" town hosts all the riders and they set up camp, have bands, big party, etc. In addition to the 15,000+ people participating, another 10-20,000 people show up at the town just for the party. It is a week long rolling party, and it is a blast.

Funny, as I pulled up the wikipedia page, the picture of the bus on the page is actually the bus of the group I used to go with. Did it a few times about 15-20 years ago.

Glad you found some good beer here in Iowa - we are not a total beer wasteland.

Like I said 'some big bike ride' ;)

I'm back at el bait shop grabing some 'to go' beers. The hotel I'm at has sam adams as thier craft offering.

Thanks for all the input to this thread.

I do believe el bait shop is one of the better bars I have ever been to. Friendly knowledgable staff and a selection second to none.

Confluence is a great little brewery. I'd drink their black IPA any day of the week.

Next time I head that way, I'll have to make it to beer crazy for my 'working nights'

Mike

Back