Deprecated's Garage Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which option do you prefer for Deprecated's Garage Brewery?

• Freezer in well house for kegs and green object as fermentation cabinet.

• Underneath of the L-shaped counter top a fermentation chamber and make green object a coffin keezer.

• Utilize the root cellar and do something entirely different????

Results are only viewable after voting.

deprecated

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please bear with me... I'm trying to document my build and glean opinions at the same time. I'll most likely fail at both.:confused:

The property my wife and I purchased has a detached garage (ORGINAL GARAGE in image). It also has a well house (WELL HOUSE in image). To further complicate matters, there is a garage addon...wait for it... (GARAGE ADDON in image). Well, the real complication comes when you consider there is a 5'6" tall root cellar below the addon.

At the bottom of this post there is a visual-representation of sorts!

My assets are:
  • The structure as described in the paragraph above.
  • A large stainless L-shaped counter top - Requires support/cabinets built.
  • A very agreeable and wonderful wife.
  • A lot of brewing stuff. YOU probably should buy my 30 gallon HERMs.

The biggest questions I have at the moment are in regards to the taps and fermentation.

Option #1: Put my large freezer in the well house to store kegs for taps as presented in picture. Make the green object a fermentation cabinet with two or three Brew-Pi controlled mini-fridges.

Option #2: Make the underneath of the L-shaped counter top a fermentation chamber (with either glycol or air cooling setup in the well house) and make the green object a coffin keezer.

Option #3: Utilize the root cellar and do something entirely different????

So, if you have an opinion on the above options, please share and elaborate. Thanks!!!! :mug:

garage.png

Here's the "addon". The astute observer might guess it was done in 2000, but there's way too much old, cross-cut red oak used behind the original garage exterior wall.

garage_2000_addon.jpg

No need to ask for forgiveness. I asked for opinions.:)

I'm curious as to why it does not look sound? It's been standing for over 50 years in "tornado alley". There is nothing but oak 2x and oak 1x used in the construction. The rafters and floor joists might not meet new construction code for distances apart but if not within current code they are close.

The only thing that is of even mild concern to me (structurally) is that the previous owner cut out rafter ties when they added the garage door. New 2x6 rafter ties/ceiling joists are going in to correct that.

I'd bet money given a framing hammer and a flat pry-par I could demo a comparable pine structure built today twice as fast as someone could demo that oak garage (I've had plenty of time to ponder this pulling nails out of that rock-hard oak.).

Again, no offense taken. It doesn't look like much. Yet. :mug:

I look at the back wall and the...well, I guess I'd call them horizontal cripple studs, do not line up across the back. They rise, left to right. And when you look at the view w/ the garage door, there are...2x4's?--behind that door that are fairly bowed. Tends to make me think the structure is under stress in some fashion or another.

I like the design you have--and FWIW, I'd put the kegs behind the taps unless you want to be walking back and forth between the keezer and the counter/bar top.

But the space looks rough. Maybe the pics don't do it justice.

Edited to add: I looked again at the pics, and the structure just looks jinky. Maybe it's the angle of the pics, and maybe it's an optical illusion.

The horizontal cripples main purpose is to give something to nail the exterior 1x's into at the middle. If you look you'll see that they make a consistent(?) rise to the right. The outside walls are this way, too, and I assume it was to make it easier to toe-nail those in.

I can't argue it looks "jinky"... My daughter says "janky" but I'd guess both words come from the same Latin:)

The exterior walls are indeed 2x4 which isn't ideal. I'm looking through my pictures now to find where I furred out those side walls.

Oh, and thanks again for the comments regardless. I've had plenty of bad ideas over the years and don't mind the opinions even if they don't coincide with mine.

From the pics, the exterior studs look like real 2x4s, i.e., they measure 2x4. Modern 2x4s are 1.5x3.5 inches in dimension.

On the other hand, they look...2 feet on center?

I'd be tempted to put some sort of structural sheathing on the interior walls to provide some additional rigidity. Something like 1/2" plywood (expensive) or perhaps OSB (cheaper). That might give you some additional structural integrity as well as something behind which you can put insulation. If you do that, don't forget the vapor barrier.

What are you going to do for flooring? Are you going to finish the ceiling or just leave it open?

You are correct. They are true 2x4's. The rafters overhang the top plates of the walls enough to add a 1.75" furring with 16" center studs (again, 1.75") nailed to the bottom side of rafters. I think what little "settling" that has occurred is again related to rafter-ties being removed. The garage door is coming out for either a 2x6 wall with an exterior door or possibly french doors.

Plan is to finish out, insulate, and sheetrock ceiling and walls. I'm in the process of using etching stain on the floor. Actually repeatedly running out to see how dry, coming back in and typing as we speak. I'll most likely go with a mini-split for HVAC because I have less than 500 sq ft.

Here's the outside walls with furring to square things up (and add room for insulation). There was probably 5/8" variation along the 23' original side walls.

furring2.jpg

That looks a lot better--and those additional furring strips will help firm things up.

We built our house new, and had 2x4 walls inside the basement foundation walls. Brand new and still they didn't line up. I spent some time ripping thin slats to affix to the 2x4's to fir them out so the sheetrock had nailing surfaces that were all in the same plane. A string stretched along them made clear which were shy of reaching the surface, and which were ok.

Have one for me when you get it done!

can you take a picture of the structure fully swithout the walls? it looked kinda iffy before, but those furring strips look a bit better for sure.

awesome ideas though!

Had to comment on the floor: outstanding!!!

Last edited:
I'd like to propose something not in the poll. A combination of the first two, actually. Mathe the underneath of the stainless L into a fermentation chamber, housing the cooling apparatus in the well house. Make the green object into a keezer, placed in the well house, passing the lines through the wall so the taps are in your usable space. They would be similar in placement to where they are in the picture. You may also be able to do this with your large freezer.

Rivenin, I'll get you that pic (I assume the outside of the building is what your asking?)!

Rlmiller, thanks for the compliment! I'm a bit mad at myself as I started a compact/pancake compressor on the floor today and it vibrated across about 2 feet, leaving a scratch in the sealer. I'll try to touch up in the next day or two.

SteelManCM, I had thought about an approach similar to your recommendation. My biggest concern was running the lines from kegs to taps/faucets and trying to keep them cool. I could run an additional line from the keezer with a glycol return but that seemed over complicated?

Another consideration was a window AC/glycol unit below the addon in the root cellar. Feed it into a fermentation cabinet. I'm not sold on glycol and having to clean coils though. If someone with experience in that area wants to comment, please do so!!!

SteelManCM, I had thought about an approach similar to your recommendation. My biggest concern was running the lines from kegs to taps/faucets and trying to keep them cool. I could run an additional line from the keezer with a glycol return but that seemed over complicated

You could build a box similar to a coffin for the keezer. Just place it against the wall. Place a fan underneath to keep the lines cool.

Crappy picture and doesn't look like much progress but it's taken me enough time.

The platform had oak 1x6 over the joists (root cellar below). I added plywood, the oak 1x6 border, self-leveling underlayment and then backer board. I might be off by a bit but the backer board had approximately 82,342 screws.

Hopefully I'll get to put down some tile tomorrow. Before someone asks, the mosaic tiles in the bottom left aren't what I'm tiling the floor with. :mug:

some_progress.jpg

It might have been an exaggeration. It just seemed like that many screws since we had a heat index of around 100 and there was no air moving in garage.:)

Nice build. Looks similar to what I am working on. The old well house, that is still in use. a 12x24 foot room. Almost every sheet of osb had to be cut down as nothing was 16 on center.

Some progress... Don't mind the messy electrical and insulation. It was all cleaned up.

• Aerial power removed and buried electrical and sub-panel installed.
  • Walls and rafters furred out.
  • New ceiling joists.
  • Garage door replaced with windows and door.
  • Back door installed.
  • Most of electrical done (including can lights and ceiling fan box).
  • About 12 Cat5 runs and surround speaker wire ran.
  • Backing in place for mini-split HVAC and tv.
  • Insulation done. Just R19 in ceiling joists for now and will add blown insulation if needed.
  • Sheetrock up and first round of tape and mud.

This project was the first time I've used a self-leveling laser level. This thing was worth its weight in gold with needing to fur out the walls and rafters!

20161230_132329.jpg

Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to let you know when it's complete and you can start this way. I picked this up today but I'll save it for when you all get here :tank::

IMG_20170129_184434.jpg

More pics. Have painted, started on bar/counter top and put a Craigslist find (couch) in the way of everything....

First pic should be of bar/countertop with angle iron for bar coming back into counter top for support. Other pics are of the stainless counter top (another CL find) and me laying some of my oak from demolition down where bar and cap above backsplash will be.

The counter top is there temporarily for fitting so I can get dimensions on endcap walls.

bar1.jpg

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

bar4.jpg

bar5.jpg

Thanks, jcav. The cabinet building part I didn't care for. Too many ways to go about it if you didn't know what you were doing.

I got to work on the counter/bar front today. Hope to finish it, bar shelf and counter top cap tomorrow.

IMG_20170210_182422.jpg

Never could get into Walking Dead but I'll take that as a compliment :ban:.

Not much of an update, but got the last barn tin panel done and the bar/shelf completed. It's kicked my ass.

I get a week off to do work stuff in San Francisco. If anyone has any recommendations of breweries or restaurants, the only agenda I have is to re-visit 21st Amendment....

IMG_20170211_193207.jpg

I get a week off to do work stuff in San Francisco. If anyone has any recommendations of breweries or restaurants, the only agenda I have is to re-visit 21st Amendment....

There are a lot of places to hit in SF, but my personal favorite is Cellarmaker. No real food there, but the beer is great.

If you head across the bay, Drakes is good as well.

Enjoy!

Never could get into Walking Dead but I'll take that as a compliment :ban:.

Not much of an update, but got the last barn tin panel done and the bar/shelf completed. It's kicked my ass.

If you are interested in a place with a large number of draft beers try the Golden Gate Taproom. Warning their website has music so turn down your speakers

Golden Gate Taproom Draft List

Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I tried Golden Gate Taproom Room but it was so busy that after 10 minutes it looked like it would still be some time to get a beer.

I'll give it another try in a day or two.

I think I have a work event at ThirstyBear tonight!

Last edited:
There are a lot of places to hit in SF, but my personal favorite is Cellarmaker. No real food there, but the beer is great.

If you head across the bay, Drakes is good as well.

Enjoy!

I will definitely second Pliny's recommendation of Cellarmaker. In my opinion- the best brewery in the country.

Latest posts

Back