Dentist Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm not really sure what to search for. I have this old cider that I made about a year ago. It now has this smell that reminds me of the dentist. It's not a rotten egg smell but more of the dental cement smell

Knowing that it probably wouldn't kill me, I've been drinking it anyway. I was just wondering what chemical it is that causes this and of there was any way to avoid this or if this is just part of the aging process.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm not really sure what to search for. I have this old cider that I made about a year ago. It now has this smell that reminds me of the dentist. It's not a rotten egg smell but more of the dental cement smell

Knowing that it probably wouldn't kill me, I've been drinking it anyway. I was just wondering what chemical it is that causes this and of there was any way to avoid this or if this is just part of the aging process.

sounds like phenyl. It can happens when chlorine gets fermented in with your alcohol.
it wont kill you. It just taste nasty to me.

I know in brewing, you boil to get the chlorine out, how do you do this on cider?

Back