Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to use my best judgement, but it is often impaired a bit by my own creations:mug:

Thanks Denny. Thus far this beer smells incredible and I can't wait to taste it.

Dry hopped this morning. FG only made it to 1.021. Fermented for 3 weeks at 64F. Maybe that was a little cold for this yeast? Either way, the sample was really good. I'll keg it next weekend.

Dry hopped this morning. FG only made it to 1.021. Fermented for 3 weeks at 64F. Maybe that was a little cold for this yeast? Either way, the sample was really good. I'll keg it next weekend.

I run 1450 at 63F, then up to 70-72 after about 5-7 days to finish. I average about 78-80% attenuation.

Been meaning to brew this for 2 years now - finally ordered the ingredients. Supplier will be shipping 1450 from CA to PA, but I have 2 weeks until brew date so plenty of time I think to get it and make a suitable starter. Better late than never Denny! Hey and I picked up your book a while back - excellent job! Your Westcoastmalle tripel came out beautifully.:mug:

Been meaning to brew this for 2 years now - finally ordered the ingredients. Supplier will be shipping 1450 from CA to PA, but I have 2 weeks until brew date so plenty of time I think to get it and make a suitable starter. Better late than never Denny! Hey and I picked up your book a while back - excellent job! Your Westcoastmalle tripel came out beautifully.:mug:

Good on ya! New book coming out in May!

I just brewed up a variant of this, inspired by tasting Burial Beer Co.'s "Scythe" Rye IPA. I'm really pleased with how it came out. Lots of juicy fruit aroma and flavor.

Ingredients, based on 5.5 gal into fermentor and 75% brewhouse efficiency:
9 lbs NC 2-row pale (1.8 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt; American (4.0 SRM)
12.0 oz British Crystal Malt (55.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (1.3 SRM)
8.0 oz Wheat Malt; Pale (2.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Caramunich III (56.8 SRM)
0.50 oz Chinook Pellets [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop
0.50 oz Summit Pellets [16.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
0.25 oz Summit Pellets [16.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Mosaic Pellets [11.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop (15 min)
0.50 oz Chinook Pellets [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop (15 min)
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast Labs #1450) Yeast (from 2L starter on stirplate)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellets [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 oz Chinook Pellets [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 oz Mosaic Pellets [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 5 days

Mashed at 152 F for 75 minutes. Fermented at 66 F. At terminal gravity (1.010 for me), added dry hops. Fined with gelatine and kegged.

I just brewed up a variant of this, inspired by tasting Burial Beer Co.'s "Scythe" Rye IPA. I'm really pleased with how it came out. Lots of juicy fruit aroma and flavor.

Ingredients, based on 5.5 gal into fermentor and 75% brewhouse efficiency:
9 lbs NC 2-row pale (1.8 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt; American (4.0 SRM)
12.0 oz British Crystal Malt (55.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (1.3 SRM)
8.0 oz Wheat Malt; Pale (2.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Caramunich III (56.8 SRM)
0.50 oz Chinook Pellets [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop
0.50 oz Summit Pellets [16.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
0.25 oz Summit Pellets [16.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Mosaic Pellets [11.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop (15 min)
0.50 oz Chinook Pellets [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop (15 min)
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast Labs #1450) Yeast (from 2L starter on stirplate)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellets [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 oz Chinook Pellets [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 oz Mosaic Pellets [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 5 days

Mashed at 152 F for 75 minutes. Fermented at 66 F. At terminal gravity (1.010 for me), added dry hops. Fined with gelatine and kegged.

Interesting to see your FG finishing low. Mine did as well. OG was 1.075 and FG was 1.011.
This was my first time using Denny's favorite Yeast, I used a starter about 4 days prior to pitching. Fermented at 63. It took off like mad. Im currently dry hopping at 65 and excited to taste this.

Interesting to see your FG finishing low. Mine did as well. OG was 1.075 and FG was 1.011.
This was my first time using Denny's favorite Yeast, I used a starter about 4 days prior to pitching. Fermented at 63. It took off like mad. Im currently dry hopping at 65 and excited to taste this.

Your FG is right in line with what it should be.

Beersmith, or any other software, really has no idea what the FG should be. Ignore software predictions of FG. For me, that beer finished reliably at 1.013.

Sound advice. I treat FG calculations as guidelines and not hard and fast goalposts. I call it good when FG stabilizes after a few readings.

Its about time someone made a good beer! I have all the stuff to make this biab!

Fun brew day, this was the second of two 5 gal batches. OG came out to 1.072, Mt Hood/Columbus combo smelled great. I know I'm gonna like this one!

Just finished brewing this bad boy, hit og at 1.072. I went to put it in fermenter and she is toast, I guess the compressor is out. She might be staying in the garage tonight. What a nice day here in Texas! I should have played golf!

My FG came out spot on and I dry hopped with 3 oz Columbus for 7 days at 65 degrees before carbing in the fridge over 5 days.

The flavor is really nice and I love the spiciness of the Rye. However, I can't pick up much of the hops on the nose despite the larger addition.

I dry hopped in a weighted sanitized panty hose, sealed in the keg, wait about a week, and then chill and carb.

Im wondering where my hop aroma went or if I missed something. Still tastes great though.

My FG came out spot on and I dry hopped with 3 oz Columbus for 7 days at 65 degrees before carbing in the fridge over 5 days.

The flavor is really nice and I love the spiciness of the Rye. However, I can't pick up much of the hops on the nose despite the larger addition.

I dry hopped in a weighted sanitized panty hose, sealed in the keg, wait about a week, and then chill and carb.

Im wondering where my hop aroma went or if I missed something. Still tastes great though.

Hard to say. I dry hop in the leg and leave the hops in until the keg kicks...a couple months or so.

Still with some krausen/yeast activity on top at 2 weeks (wasn't expecting that!). Hydro sample was great, now I remember what 1450 tastes like again (used it for Yoop's hoppy amber a while back). Unique in such a good way, I describe it as malt-forward. I love the soft malty quality I get. Sitting at 1.022 (68% attenuation) right now, with a first generation pitch of 1450. Yes, I want more attenuation and think I'll get some (at least a few points). Plan right now is to wait it out thru week 3 or 4, then move to secondary where dryhop will take place. Good things come with time!

Still with some krausen/yeast activity on top at 2 weeks (wasn't expecting that!). Hydro sample was great, now I remember what 1450 tastes like again (used it for Yoop's hoppy amber a while back). Unique in such a good way, I describe it as malt-forward. I love the soft malty quality I get. Sitting at 1.022 (68% attenuation) right now, with a first generation pitch of 1450. Yes, I want more attenuation and think I'll get some (at least a few points). Plan right now is to wait it out thru week 3 or 4, then move to secondary where dryhop will take place. Good things come with time!

What temp is it at? You could easily go into the low 70s at this point to finish it.

What temp is it at? You could easily go into the low 70s at this point to finish it.
I'd like to get to those temps Denny, but in PA in winter its tough to do. Its sitting at about 68 and has been for the last week. I will see what I can do to bump it a bit. No matter what, I'm going to be happy though. That sample was tasty.

I really appreciate your input and the fact that you care about how some random homebrewer's 5 gallon batch goes. Says a lot. :mug:

Just finished brewing this bad boy, hit og at 1.072. I went to put it in fermenter and she is toast, I guess the compressor is out. She might be staying in the garage tonight. What a nice day here in Texas! I should have played golf!

This beer turned out really good. Finished at 1.014. One of the best beers I've made. I'm a hoppy kind of guy, but this beer smells and taste great and not overbearing with the hops.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456197604.325393.jpg

I love this beer! Last batch, I dry hopped with an ounce each of galaxy/amarillo/citra/simcoe/centennial, and it turned into a grapefruit bomb! Love it!

Oh man what a difference a week makes. Down to 1.014 at essentially 3 weeks (1.5L starter), hops and rye shining through moreso than before. Plan is 1 week dryhop (2 oz whole leaf Columbus), then bottle. Very, very pleased at this point!

I'm curious if my fav local brewery basically took this grain bill and made it their own. Their's is quite hoppy, I think they use a lot of late addition falconer's flight, but their numbers/ingredients are so close to this.

From their website:

2 Row
Rye
Crystal 60
Carapils
White Wheat

Hops: Falconer's Flight, Columbus, Mt Hood

Yeast: Chico

7.2 ABV
75 IBU
10.2 SRM

So that looks darn close to Denny's. I think they took the grain bill and hopped it up with late addtion FF. It's a delicious beer.

My thought is to do something in between what they have done and Denny's. Use this grain bill. Use Columbus and Mt Hood as stated, but add a big flameout addition of Citra. And up the dry hop to about 3-4oz of Columbus + Citra.

Thoughts?

(BTW this is their flagship IPA, and they now can and sell it in all the local shops).

Not sure where your going with this, but you can build your on recipe based off of Denny's or your brewery's. I don't think Denny's has falconer flight or citra. To me what makes it is the rye and Denny's yeast. No offense here.

Not sure where your going with this, but you can build your on recipe based off of Denny's or your brewery's. I don't think Denny's has falconer flight or citra. To me what makes it is the rye and Denny's yeast. No offense here.

Not going anywhere....I was just drinking one last night from the brewery, and thought I'd play with recipes and see if I could come close to cloning it, since they publish their ingredients and numbers.

Only then did I stumble upon this recipe, and found it interesting that the grain bill seems identical.

BTW, this is the beer.

http://blackacrebrewing.com/newsite/portfolio/saucy/

Definitely a different hop schedule, as I said, they use FF, along with MT Hood and Columbus. I don't have any FF on hand, so thought of throwing in a Citra/Columbus late addition, beyond what Denny calls for. And a bigger dry hop.

Anyway, just playing with ideas. Haven't used Denny's yeast before, but have read great things. It's on my shopping list.

I'm curious if my fav local brewery basically took this grain bill and made it their own. Their's is quite hoppy, I think they use a lot of late addition falconer's flight, but their numbers/ingredients are so close to this.

From their website:

2 Row
Rye
Crystal 60
Carapils
White Wheat

Hops: Falconer's Flight, Columbus, Mt Hood

Yeast: Chico

7.2 ABV
75 IBU
10.2 SRM

So that looks darn close to Denny's. I think they took the grain bill and hopped it up with late addtion FF. It's a delicious beer.

My thought is to do something in between what they have done and Denny's. Use this grain bill. Use Columbus and Mt Hood as stated, but add a big flameout addition of Citra. And up the dry hop to about 3-4oz of Columbus + Citra.

Thoughts?

(BTW this is their flagship IPA, and they now can and sell it in all the local shops).

They wouldn't be the first brewery to do that. And before yiou decide it needs somehting added, why not brew it as is? That way you have a solid baseline to decide on future changes.

They wouldn't be the first brewery to do that. And before yiou decide it needs somehting added, why not brew it as is? That way you have a solid baseline to decide on future changes.

Good point. Not really sure...as I said above, I stumbled upon your recipe while fooling around trying to clone theirs. But all the positive reviews here, I may just do it as-is. Thx.

Good point. Not really sure...as I said above, I stumbled upon your recipe while fooling around trying to clone theirs. But all the positive reviews here, I may just do it as-is. Thx.

If you don't do that, you really don't know what you want to change.

If you don't do that, you really don't know what you want to change.

Going to brew it this weekend.

What's the recommend schedule with this? I typically do 3 weeks in primary, then keg, for most of my beers.

Going to brew it this weekend.

What's the recommend schedule with this? I typically do 3 weeks in primary, then keg, for most of my beers.

In the old days, I'd do 2 weeks or so in primary, then xfer to secondary and dry hop for a week or so. Then I went from 2 week primary to keg and dry hopping in the keg. Theses days, I do maybe 3-4 days at 63, then up to 70 for a day or two, then crash to 33 for a few days before kegging. Still dry hop in the keg and they stay in til the keg is gone. All of those schedules work fine, so take yer pick!

I just brewed this recipe for the 2nd time and did a 6oz dry hop of Columbus for 3 days. Wow is this beer amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with the world.

Fantastic Denny, just a delicious brew. I only have one major problem with this beer...I'm drinking it too quickly!!;):mug:

Dennys WrySmile.jpg

Back