Denatured Alcohol... Drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krbrumma

Reaction score
This was totally experimental, mostly for the idea.

I was playing around with left over grain, unused. I had a half pound of husked carafa III. I decided to make an ultra small test batch of PB&J Stout :rockin:

boiled the pb, after cooling to 140 i added the Jelly.

Well.... I only had 48 hour turbo yeast and so that's what i pitched, half bag into a gallon, no air lock

Spilt half when racking to second (using arizona tea gallons) :eek:

decided to push it through another fermentation by adding priming sugar, 5oz

Now it smells like denatured alcohol. Any suggestions?... and it tastes like bitter poo, but i'm hoping a little aging will do some persuading.

The PB&J idea is interesting.:mug:

However this beer may be undrinkable even after aging.

My understanding of turbo yeast is that you need to use powerful fining agents and filter through activated charcoal for it to produce a drinkable product. The temperature of of fermentation for this stuff is really important as well. In addition mix it with sugary stuff to mask the flavor.

My friend tried to persuade me to make a batch of hootch for him with this stuff. I dislike the idea of needing activated charcoal to make something drinkable.

The denatured alcohol smell most likely comes from fusel alcohols, which will not be cleaned up by the yeast as it ages. Too high of temperature likely contributed to the development of these.

The peanut butter with it's high fat content may affect how the beer ages, and when it is done, the head retention will likely be non existent.

This being said, it's experimental and I would let it age just to see what happens. Good luck!

pablo, thank you much for your suggestions, it will continue to age and i shall re-attempt with out the turbo yeast

Regards,
Kyle

Peanut butter is too oily. Your beer will likely spoil as a result. Next time use PB2; which is essentially peanut butter that's been centrifuged.

Back