Demijohn / Must / Produce Pics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbsmith

Reaction score
Theres now a thread for finished off beautiful bottled wine pics.
How about a thread for pics for every other stage of the process.
I love seeing the ingredients, the must, the must in primary, discarded pulp, the different stages of secondary, maturing, before finings, after finings, syphoning, bottling etc etc (you get the picture).

Some of my various wines fermenting, as well as some of my rhubarb plants and stalks!

1236656_10151584808860047_118203728_n.jpg

554057_10151506664530047_267892270_n.jpg

Rhubarb.jpg

841_10151664410215047_470458841_n.jpg

996925_10151510917485047_1758769175_n.jpg1236656_10151584808860047_118203728_n.jpg

554057_10151506664530047_267892270_n.jpg

Rhubarb.jpg

I love this as it really gives you a feel of different processes that different brewers use to make their wines (which will effect the finished product)!

I will finish off my step by step pictorial process of making my favourite brew, Cranberry and Raisin Champagne tomorrow, so Ill put that up once its done.

I wanted to make sure I recorded it well this time, as I didn't the first time I (accidently) made it and I have been struggling to replicate it each time since. But this time I think I have managed!

Yeah, I was lucky and got a great deal. :) The mesh bag was KEY to making that project a success. Being able to contain the pulp and let it drain out meant I could pack the strawberries and give them a good mashing.

I've got 2 going right now. Would have more but no basement, no space. First is Dragon Blood. Just back sweetened yesterday. Other is cider. Just waiting for it to clear, then I'll bottle it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390144582.553007.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390144593.668330.jpg

This was one of the first wines I made, and actually made it by accident, as originally I put in almost twice the amount of cranberry, raisins and sugar and ended up having to diluting it. As I had put too much sugar in, not all of it had fermented. I then added it to bottles, and it went fizzy with the rest of the sugar fermenting. It turned out to be the nicest wine I have ever made, but due to all the diluting down etc, which was done very, un-scientifically, I was unable to replicate the wine again!

Following loads of trial and error, and pushing my mathematical skills to their limits, I have finally been able to replicate it! This time, I wanted to be so sure of recording the recipe, I have photographed the step by step process for making it, and put it up here and on my page (www.facebook.com/HomeBrewBottleSwap) so I could make it whenever I wanted.

NOTE that I am following the 2 gallon recipe here! I used general purpose wine yeast, but I think this could be improved by using Lalvin EC-118.

I havent shown everything being sterilised, but of course, you need to ensure this. I hope anyone who makes this enjoys it as much as I do!

Equipment
Primary Fermenter – Food grade bucket with lid and airlock
Secondary Fermenter – 5 litre / gallon glass or plastic demijohn and airlock
Fine Muslin (Straining Bag)
Funnel
500ml to 1 litre bottles
Heat Pad if room below 20’C
Siphon
Weighing Scales
Hydrometer for SG (Standard Gravity) readings & 250ml measuring cylinder
Sterilisation Powder / Tablets
Pectic Enzyme Powder
Finings

Chop raisins into small pieces. Add the raisins and the sugar to saucepan and cover with water. Boil for a bit to dissolve the sugar, sterilise the ingredients and get some of the flavour out of the raisins. Add the cranberry juice and raisin syrup to your primary fermenter
Add the pectic enzyme, 1 teaspoon of yeast and yeast nutrient,
Fix lid and fit air lock,
After 2 weeks, strain through fine muslin to remove pulp then pour into demijohn,
Top up to the neck with cool boiled / bottled water, fit airlock and leave to ferment for 6 weeks, siphoning from sediment every few weeks when sediment builds,
Add fining agent,
When fermentation has stopped and SG is at 1.000, siphon and add 60g dissolved sugar and then bottle in strong Champagne / Grolsch / plastic bottles, and leave for a further month until wine is ready.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

It is like a dry cranberry which is a unique taste I don't think you can beat, to which the raisins bring back some sweetness and body to balance. The fizz really tAkes the flavours up your nose. I love it!

Thank you Gratus Fermentatio! I used to bottle in just 500ml green plastic bottles. That was fine for me, but none of my mates are really home brewers. As soon as I then gave them a bottle, they turned their noses up, as they already had a low opinion of home brew. I think presentation is really important. It still doesn't do the contents justice though!

white grape raspberry and apple cherry
2013-11-08_204953-61318.jpg

oaking the apple cherry
2013-11-08_211641-61319.jpg

tasting the apple cherry
2013-11-08_210608-61320.jpg

skeeter pee
artcl2-61302.jpg

artcl3-61303.jpg

First strawberry!
2014-01-19_212202-61878.jpg

a little too much in there?
[ame]http://youtu.be/fFWDDy4SGNg[/ame]

cool beans! Hey np, I just love sharing my pics and seeing everyone else's! I do tend to multi post a "lil" so I get more views...you never who looks at which threads and such. Just glad I haven't pissed anyone off with a few multi posts!

Multi post away! Its always a pleasure to see the same pics more than once, and good to do so if it makes people see them who may have missed out!

Squeezed into a corner of the kitchen pantry. We do what we can with what we have!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1390731360394.jpg

I love the quantities you guys brew in! You must be much more confident in your recipes than I am!

I love the quantities you guys brew in! You must be much more confident in your recipes than I am!

My thought process is that it is just as much time and effort to make 1 gallon as it is to make five or six. And, you get to reap more rewards in the end for that effort!

I will confess that I was extremely blessed to get my start in this hobby sitting at the feet of a master with close to 20 years of experience. I can only hope I'm doing justice by his teachings. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Plum Wine & Plum & Sloe Wine, just gone into secondary fermentation as well as the plums they came from.

1545136_10151798822520047_1419663352_n.jpg

DSC05492.jpg

DSC05493.jpg

Thank you Gratus Fermentatio! I used to bottle in just 500ml green plastic bottles. That was fine for me, but none of my mates are really home brewers. As soon as I then gave them a bottle, they turned their noses up, as they already had a low opinion of home brew. I think presentation is really important. It still doesn't do the contents justice though!

I bottle in 1L swingtops almost exclusively. I'll sometimes bottle 12oz samplers with crown caps, but haven't done so in over a year now.
Regards, GF.

Back