Delayed specialty grain addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heating to pasteurize before adding, right?
And likely there will be at least some sugar that would wake up the yeast again, tho maybe not much.

What purpose would you be looking to serve by doing this?

Heating to pasteurize before adding, right?
And likely there will be at least some sugar that would wake up the yeast again, tho maybe not much.

What purpose would you be looking to serve by doing this?
I have a batch I'm wanting to brew soon and may not have one of the specialty grains in time.

I've never tried, so I have no firsthand knowledge.
I would think however, the risk of infection and oxidation would deter me.
Functionally, there is not much difference in doing this and adding speise or priming sugar, after fermentation, for carbonation. Or in adding fruit flavoring at bottling time, after fermentation.

But grain is loaded with lactobacillus naturally. I've heard it's even grown in open fields with *DIRT* for heaven's sake. Therefore, pasteurizing would be a must for me. I'm not an expert but Google says 145F/30m or 161F/10seconds, so I'd heat to 161-170 and then cool.

I would not even consider brewing a beer without the proper grain. If it important to the recipe, leave it out. If it is, wait to brew until you have it.

Would steeping some specialty grain and adding it after fermentation is going work okay?

I did this once a couple of years ago. The beer came out fine. It was a gallon batch, so the beer didn't have time to develop off flavors from any contamination or oxygen ingress that may have occurred. What I did (gallon batch) five days after brew day: cold steep (4 hours) 1 oz chocolate malt; bring to a boil, chill; added 4 oz of additional wort to the beer.

Back