DeKoninck Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have really wanted to brew this for a while now. Just can't get the yeast (WLP515). Supposed to be available now (November to December) but no one has it online or anywhere. If someone knows who has it in stock please post to let me know or send me a pm.

Thanks,

John

I have really wanted to brew this for a while now. Just can't get the yeast (WLP515). Supposed to be available now (November to December) but no one has it online or anywhere. If someone knows who has it in stock please post to let me know or send me a pm.

Thanks,

John
I just ordered 3 packages of it from white labs last night, will be arriving overnight on wednesday (i live in the sf bay area)

https://www.yeastman.com/

under yeast strains > vault > antwerp strain.

they’ve got homebrew sized packs

I can only speak from a UK perspective, my impression is that seasonal strains aren't available on the 1st day of the quarter, but they do appear fairly soon after, and then it's just a question of how often a retailer orders from White Labs (and sometimes they miss the seasonals on their first order of the quarter).

There seem to be two British retailers on the White Labs "premium" list that reliably stock the seasonals, and they both have WLP515 in stock at the moment so if it's reached here it should be everywhere.

The Omega version seems to be a core strain, but one that retailers tend not to bother ordering, so you can probably ask any Omega stockist to add it to their next order.

Or it would appear that S-23 will get you close....

oh thanks for the heads up on that, i’ll reach out to some places!

The other thing you can try is to look it up on the mobile version of Untappd, which will usually give you an idea of where people have checked it in recently near to you. It works quite well for "name" beers like that - and the Firestone Walker connection should mean that reasonable amounts are reaching CA.

Thanks to all that replied to my question. I am going to order it tonight. Funny, two weeks ago I got an email from a online homebrew supply that advised that they had the yeast in stock, so I ordered two packs. They told me a week later that it was a mistake and they send me a refund. Thanks again guys!

John

Thanks to all that replied to my question. I am going to order it tonight. Funny, two weeks ago I got an email from a online homebrew supply that advised that they had the yeast in stock, so I ordered two packs. They told me a week later that it was a mistake and they send me a refund. Thanks again guys!

John

Oh, awesome!

when are you planning on doing your brew? whenever you do, make sure to update us with how it went and photos!

This recipe is based on Jamil Zainasheff’s clone of De Koninck in BYO...
IBU = 29

SRM = 8

ABV = 5.3%

JFTR Roncoroni and Verstrepen measured the real thing at 5.2%, 24 EBC (12 SRM) and 19 IBU.

I now have both WLP515 and an old pack of 3655, I just need a bottle of DK to harvest...

WLP515 is delicious.
I bought some to try my hand at cloning Palm, which is a really clean Belgian Pale Ale.
It came out so great, I just brewed another batch yesterday and I’m getting a tripel going today with the same yeast.

i had just about written off ever brewing ales again (I much prefer lagers). This yeast brought me back!!!

A02486B5-BEB0-4176-89C0-AE23B0CCBF0C.jpeg

Well the latest DNA sequencing shows that WLP515 is a lager yeast....

As an aside, Roncoroni and Verstrepen's analysis of aroma compounds put Palm and DK close together in a bit of a group of their own, they had regular Palm at 5.2%, 19 EBC and 12 IBU. Royale is closest to Rochefort 6 and is 7.5%, 13 EBC and 9 IBU.

WLP515 is delicious.
I bought some to try my hand at cloning Palm, which is a really clean Belgian Pale Ale.
It came out so great, I just brewed another batch yesterday and I’m getting a tripel going today with the same yeast.

i had just about written off ever brewing ales again (I much prefer lagers). This yeast brought me back!!!
Was WLP515 phenolic when you used it?

How did you make out brewing this? WLP515 is available now.... I finally got some!

I brewed it last Monday Dec 23rd, so I currently have it in my fermenter. I will post back when I tap it! Oh and I went with a different recipe but it looked like a winner so I wanted to try it.

John

Was WLP515 phenolic when you used it?
Not at all. It was very clean. Just a touch of ale fruitiness but ever so slight.

Pitched it at 63*F and it was very slow to start.
Took me almost a week to raise the temp slowly to 68*F.
It wasn’t really active until day 2 or 3 (64*F, 65*F).
It sat a second week at 68*F before it was done.

1.052 to 1.010 with a 0.75 pitch rate (million cells / mL / * Plato).

Thanks for the info @FunkedOut.

I seen they still had some wlp515 available on yeastman, so I got a vial to replace what I am currently slanting. Last time I looked at the white labs website it did say it is phenolic, but I don't recall seeing that in the past.

I have a second batch along with a tripel going at the moment.
Pitched at 64*F, and they’re at 68*F by day 3.
I’ll keep them at 68*F for a week, then raise to 70*F for a second week.
Hoping to get a little more yeast expression this time.

Back