Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
over a year ago? used to be able to buy russian river and such from their back room if they liked you. now they have a couple empty HF growlers and empty heady cans sitting on a shelf in their normal beer room as a "display"

Last night I visited Right Proper for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Had a beer with brett and lacto dry hopped with (I think) citra and galaxy that was outstanding, and the rest of what I tried was impressive too. Really nice place and chill staff as well.

What's Right Proper's rep among locals? What's their story?

Last night I visited Right Proper for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Had a beer with brett and lacto dry hopped with (I think) citra and galaxy that was outstanding, and the rest of what I tried was impressive too. Really nice place and chill staff as well.

What's Right Proper's rep among locals? What's their story?

I've been a few times. Really like their space/layout and they usually have at least one beer that is great on tap (the rest being solidly good). Food is good too (get the beef cheeks).

Wish I lived closer as I'd frequent more often. About an hour by metro for me, which kinda sucks.

In DC this weekend and stopped by Bier Barron (formerly Brickskellar, least it was called that when I lived here) and they casually had 2012 Expedition, BCBCS 2013, and 15 KBS on tap. Unreal.

That's awesome. That place had a reputation for being such a dump when I lived in DC I never went. Also had to go by meridian pint, church key and the solid admo bars to get there.

Well, for anyone in DC next week, your in ****ing luck, because ChurchKey is going all out balls to the wall.

Figured I'd share the news. This is ****ing unreal

Tuesday September 15th, Churchkey

"The team at Goose Island has once again been on a whirlwind tour, bringing a series of amazing events to different cities across the USA. Their migration will next land them in Washington, DC, and ChurchKey is honored to host the Goose Island Migration Launch Event for what promises to be another unforgettable evening. Starting right at 4 pm when we open on Tuesday, September 19th, we'll have no fewer than a dozen Goose Island brews from bottle and draft, including the super-scarce Bourbon County Stout: Proprietor's Vintage 2013 on draft and several more vintages and variants of Bourbon County Brand Stout (like draft Bourbon County Brand Stout: Vanilla Rye 2014 and bottle pours of Bourbon County Brand Stout: Coffee 2012)!

There is no admission fee for this Goose Island Migration Week event at ChurchKey. This event will begin, and all of the brews will be available, right at 4pm when we open.

The Goose Island Migration Week Event Volume 3 Beer List:
Poured from Draft:
Bourbon County Brand Stout: Proprietor's 2013
Bourbon County Brand Stout 2013
Bourbon County Brand Stout 2014
Bourbon County Barleywine 2014
Bourbon County Brand Stout: Vanilla Rye 2014
Halia 2015
Ogden
Sofie
Autumn Ale
Oktoberfest
Muddy Imperial Stout
No Collar Helles Lager

Poured from Bottle:
Bourbon County Brand Stout: Coffee 2012

And of course, Cantillon Zwanze day is on September 19th, again at churchkey

You DC local craft beer enthusiast are spoiled rotten next week for sure.

It's gonna be a great week to wait in huge crowds to get into Churchkey between that and Zwanze.

I'm just gonna keep trying to drink every Ocelot beer i can get my hands on. Their hoppy stuff is head and shoulders above every other local brewery & the wild beers are pretty good for kettle sours. Their RIS isn't bad, either.

It's gonna be a great week to wait in huge crowds to get into Churchkey between that and Zwanze.

I'm just gonna keep trying to drink every Ocelot beer i can get my hands on. Their hoppy stuff is head and shoulders above every other local brewery & the wild beers are pretty good for kettle sours. Their RIS isn't bad, either.

I could destroy a Big Franks 50/50 with an egg on top right now... :oops:

Sorry for the non-beer post, but...

Anybody have experience with DC speed cameras? I just got a ticket in the mail the other day and I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the fine or try to get it dismissed. Feel free to send a private message with any advice or your story to avoid cluttering up this thread. It says I was doing 70 in a 50 on 295. No points but a $150 fine.

Sorry for the non-beer post, but...

Anybody have experience with DC speed cameras? I just got a ticket in the mail the other day and I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the fine or try to get it dismissed. Feel free to send a private message with any advice or your story to avoid cluttering up this thread. It says I was doing 70 in a 50 on 295. No points but a $150 fine.
Well, were you?

Well, were you?

I don't recall going 20 over but the odds of the camera being that far off are probably nonexistent. Was coming home from the Nats game with the family almost a month ago. That's probably the second time in my life driving that road, I may have missed a speed limit sign and slowed down after I saw the next one. Who knows...

I don't recall going 20 over but the odds of the camera being that far off are probably nonexistent. Was coming home from the Nats game with the family almost a month ago. That's probably the second time in my life driving that road, I may have missed a speed limit sign and slowed down after I saw the next one. Who knows...
You sound guilty to me.

visiting from NYC. will (sigh) be spending most of my time in fredericksbug VA. anything at all redeemable out there? at least one day and night in the district proper. is the first post still accurate? (will probably be in the Logan circle area--love churchkey so much.)

doubt i will be able to get to dc brau for tasting hours - any hints on freshest OTWOA etc to bring back? are there still FFF bottles to be had for sale?

also taking suggestions of local beers i am not familiar with (i.e. not DC brau) to seek out while there.

edit: if I do make it to DC brau--can I bring my own growler or must I buy theirs? any restrictions on type of growler they fill?

visiting from NYC. will (sigh) be spending most of my time in fredericksbug VA. anything at all redeemable out there? at least one day and night in the district proper. is the first post still accurate? (will probably be in the Logan circle area--love churchkey so much.)

doubt i will be able to get to dc brau for tasting hours - any hints on freshest OTWOA etc to bring back? are there still FFF bottles to be had for sale?

also taking suggestions of local beers i am not familiar with (i.e. not DC brau) to seek out while there.

edit: if I do make it to DC brau--can I bring my own growler or must I buy theirs? any restrictions on type of growler they fill?

D'vines in CoHi just tapped a keg. They fill brown glass but think it might have to be theirs.

Right proper or blue jacket are really the only two under the radar unless you head out to Nova

Anyone know the last time OTWOA was canned? Headed down there this weekend and debating whether or not I should stop by the brewery for some.

They last brewed a batch 10/16. I would think it's releasing soon, potentially even this weekend. Give them a call..

Thanks for the help!

That would be perfect. Can't beat some fresh Wings.

These updates used to be easy to find on Twitter. Now, not so much.

Right Proper's new production facility and tasting room will be open in December. Supposedly, they'll start canning around May (hopefully!).

SY0E0T7.jpg

35Lyftd.jpg

Bathroom all twee as ****.
afGonFe.jpg

Coming from Austin, TX. Headed to DC area (Ashburn mostly) for the holidays. I will have some time to tour and try some places.

Bar/Pubs ideas:
From this thread, Churchkey (Hardywood & Tired Hands on tap!), Right Proper, DC Brau seem like good ideas. Is Blue Jacket worth a try? The pictures of it are impressive.

Bottle shop ideas:
MacGruders seems nice.

Beers: what are some local beers I have to try besides OTWOA?

Any bottle shops/pubs/bars near Ashburn that I should consider?

How do you guys recommend getting around from Ashburn to DC? Any mass transit options?

Coming from Austin, TX. Headed to DC area (Ashburn mostly) for the holidays. I will have some time to tour and try some places.

Bar/Pubs ideas:
From this thread, Churchkey (Hardywood & Tired Hands on tap!), Right Proper, DC Brau seem like good ideas. Is Blue Jacket worth a try? The pictures of it are impressive.

Bottle shop ideas:
MacGruders seems nice.

Beers: what are some local beers I have to try besides OTWOA?

Any bottle shops/pubs/bars near Ashburn that I should consider?

How do you guys recommend getting around from Ashburn to DC? Any mass transit options?

Ashburn area - in order of priority
Ocelot
Old Ox
Lost Rhino

Stores -
Whole Foods Fair Lakes (30 draft lines throughout the store)
Total Wine Chantilly - ok selection, check ipa date codes if you go after loose bottles.

Back