Define "Well Modified"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonlovesbeer

BrandonLovesBeer
Reaction score
I always see this term thrown around but no one has ever been able to give me a 100% definitive answer as to what that means.

I've heard:
1) It's genetically modified with a high carbohydrate ratio compared to non-modified grains of yesteryear.
2) The process for malting the grains is just so much more efficient.
3). And many other variations of explanations

So what is the actual definition of "Well Modified Grains?"

Thanks

It means that most or all of the higher molecular proteins are broken down into ones yeast and enzymes can use to convert our mash to beer. Some floor malted grains give me a clearer beer if I do a protein rest because some of the proteins were not converted in malting. I'm not positive but I think there is a correlation between lovibond and conversion which is the higher the lovibond the higher the conversion. Also the well modified malts posses fewer of the precursors that cause staling in beers, so using something like a pale malt with a 2.7- 3.7 lovibond in a RIS that will age for some time is a good idea.

Back