Deere John.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
brokendowndeere-68109.jpg

:mad:

/Rant

I thought about that but I don't need another project. And I can't fit one more vehicle in the garage. So, I know, build another garage ;)

New one was already ordered, just not here yet. I thought it might have had one more in the tank. Guess not!

You bought a new one? That one looks in great condition other than the failure. Looks like a bit of a welding job and back to Mowing fast - well.

This thing is the biggest POS. I know it's a "lower end" Deere but why chase the dollar when it Will hurt your rep?

Front axle broke-2nd time. It's cast iron, so it's hard to weld. I could buy a new axle but I'm sick of constantly fixing it and flushing money.
Other items I've chased down;
Charging issue; new voltage regulator, Still doesn't charge so it must be in the stator-inside the motor. So, every once-and-a-while I have to jump start it.
Rebuilt trans-twice. Still not completely right and I'm not dumping more $ at it.
Safety start switch broke. Now I have to hold the switch with one hand (under the hood) and turn the key.
New tires (which are shot again probably due to the axle bending/braking), wheel bearings, deck wheel and regular maintenance items along the way.

Broke down right in the front yard so all of my neighbors could see and give me the Nelson Muntz "Ha-Ha"! And then feel sorry for me and offer up theirs. Forcing to me to mow in shame with another man's mower.

khs5410- I'll make you a deal you can't refuse if you're interested. But you pick up :D

Sorry. I had WAY better luck with my Craftsman mower than my FIL did with his lower end John Deere.

And frankly, I preferred to mow with mine over his too.

I Paid 600.00 for my JD that I got used from a good friend..it was several years old when I bought it 4 years ago...I haven't even changed the oil..purrs like a kitten and never lets me down.
You can get a lemon in any brand..That husky looks like a POS to me.

FWIW cast iron is not very hard to weld..you just have to know how.

So did you take the new mower back? Or are they just replacing the spindle? Not a very good omen for keeping the new mower IMO.

I bought a brand new Ford/Fiat Alas rubber tire backhoe back in 2001..biggest POS I own... We have had more issues with that machine then all 16 others combined . Had it not been for only paying 1/2 price due to a closing franchise and discontinued model I would have demanded my money back. In hind site I still should have returned it, but we figured we would eventually de-bug the thing...Nope!..still an undependable piece of junk. It looks good and impresses people but that's about the extent of it.
You have to ask your self if they cant get a spindle bearing installed correct ( or is there even one in there?) what else is there lurking under the hood to bite you in the rear down the road?
AFWIW Most all my chain saws are Husky's so I dont have a bone with the company.

I wish you the best of luck. But Id want a whole new machine.

I Paid 600.00 for my JD that I got used from a good friend..it was several years old when I bought it 4 years ago...I haven't even changed the oil..purrs like a kitten and never lets me down.
You can get a lemon in any brand..That husky looks like a POS to me.

FWIW cast iron is not very hard to weld..you just have to know how.

In the know to weld cast iron, and it's not that easy. It was pre and post heated with the welding in between. Still cracked almost a year later.

Sure the Husky is a POS, the Deere can only mow where it sits, on my concrete drive:confused: the husky can at least move.

Stopped at a dealer and they where no help. Need to "see" the tractor and would be at least 3 weeks!!! What a crock of $hit. Previously, I had ordered the Part on-line in anticipation of a major PIA. Calling Husky direct to complain.

That's the problem I have with it. It ruins the name at the cost of making a buck. And because of it, there's no way I'd ever buy a Deere product again. PERIOD!

You can't buy a JD from a big box store and expect the same JD quality. You have to go to a dealer where you won't find the cheap big box store models. Cry once. I have a 2010 JD 2305 worth every penny I spent on it. Only routine maintenance required over years of great service.

In the know to weld cast iron, and it's not that easy. It was pre and post heated with the welding in between. Still cracked almost a year later.

Sure the Husky is a POS, the Deere can only mow where it sits, on my concrete drive:confused: the husky can at least move.

Stopped at a dealer and they where no help. Need to "see" the tractor and would be at least 3 weeks!!! What a crock of $hit. Previously, I had ordered the Part on-line in anticipation of a major PIA. Calling Husky direct to complain.

Sorry to hear about the customer service of your new machine, that sucks!.
What rod/process did you use to weld the cast? It can be a bit ornery at times as cast Iron is a questionable alloy with little demarcating it from good quality cast to poor depending on what amounts or what alloys are in it . But I find it a fun challenge to work with.
IMO if your weld lasted a year then that was a fairly successful weld for that application and no reason not to do it again. But I'm Chesapeake when it comes to replacing a complete unit with something I know I can repair.

I was mowing a few days ago and I heard a clunk and my blades stopped spinning. I looked behind and there was my mower drive shaft, lying in the grass. The locking coupler had pretty much exploded and the drive shaft dropped off of the mower. The coupler had a plastic cap that just disintegrated.

The good news is that it's a pretty easy thing to fix with the right parts. Bad news is that it cost me $110 for a kit to fix the problem. The kit consisted of a plastic cap with a metal insert, 6 ball bearings, a spring, a washer, and a retaining clip. I'm guessing there was about $5 worth of material there.

Hey John Deere - I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for that kit.

Back