Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shed I've chosen is by http://www.homestylesshed.com/ and seems so much better built than some of the others in the price range. Lowes sells a 4x8 sheet of insulated foam board that is around 2" thick that I'm thinking of using instead of all the hoops I jumped through with my last walk-in cooler. I'm thinking lining the inside with 3 layers of the board and then maybe doing a little extra on the ceiling as the building will be sitting out in my backyard exposed.

I'm telling you, I had no idea how much I relied on my cooler until I lost it..

This is just an FYI then to noodle on if you dare... R value is berry nice. If permits aren't an issue for building a shed, this would probably be cheaper to build than a vinyl shed plus foam insulation since the panels ARE the walls.

http://www.foamlaminates.com/sip_pricing.html

I can't believe I used to brew without a ferm chamber, and now that I am toying with the WIC idea, I can already see how it would be hard to live without once you have it.

:mug:

I'll be honest.. after I saw what a few years of moisture did to my previous cooler is why I decided no wood. I think that is where the idea of vinyl came from. Plus I'm not up for actually building a building that looks halfway decent from the outside. :)

I can tell you I stressed about all that math about r-value when I built my previous cooler (its in the other thread) and all I can say is I'm not as worried about it as much this time around. I'm going to build it with as much insulation as makes sense to the room.. so just use me as your guinea pig on this one. heh

I can tell you I stressed about all that math about r-value when I built my previous cooler (its in the other thread) and all I can say is I'm not as worried about it as much this time around. I'm going to build it with as much insulation as makes sense to the room.. so just use me as your guinea pig on this one. heh

I hear ya, man. And hell, if it stays cool for you in Georgia, I'll be in like Flynn up here in the Nort' where I might need a heater for half the year! :tank:

edit: BTW, I was tryin' to trick ya into being my guinea pig on the SIP panels, but you spit out the bait, darnit!

Well, I finally got a quote from GA Power.. they want $980 just to install a sidewalk guy. I couldn't believe it. I feel like bitching at them for why this damn pole is in the middle of my backyard instead of the property line yet feeds both my house and my neighbors.. but I'm sure its "grandfathered" in or some nonsense. There is no way I'm paying them that much to move it (in contrast, the cable company offered to move theirs for free), so it is changing up my plans some. I still am in hopes to get started this weekend though.. one way or another.

That pole might fall over in a windstorm or "accidentally" get knocked over by a piece of heavy equipment, and when your neighbors don't have power, you can make them put the new one on the property line...

That pole might fall over in a windstorm or "accidentally" get knocked over by a piece of heavy equipment, and when your neighbors don't have power, you can make them put the new one on the property line...

I like klyph's idea. Especially with all the "crazy" storms hitting the south this year.

Any progress John?

We had our first brew day on the 4th.. I forgot to take any photos but a friend took a few with his phone. Most all my old equipment is back in working condition and made it through the flood without issue. I do think I'm going to buy a 20 gallon BoilerMaker to boil in instead of this keggle to keep boilovers to a minimum and not screw up my tile floor..

here we were mashing out:
263667_2184058129069_1475473129_2499979_1244409_n.jpg

and here we were done with the boil and running it through the wort chiller into the fermentation chamber:
269895_2184200972640_1475473129_2500217_1587037_n.jpg

Anymore updates on this build WIC?? Loving what you have. Would love to have the money, time & space to have some 1/2 as bitchin as what you have here.

Bravo!!!!

Brrman! How ya been? Missed your reply - sorry about that.

My latest addition is that I'm having a custom sign made for the bar - here is the proof they sent me. The different color grays note the different layers where the black will all be hand carved. It will be painted by a tattoo artist they employ on the side who also specializes in airbrushing. A lot of effort will go into making it look distressed. The company that is doing it has promised me that it will blow me away when it is finished in about two weeks.. can't wait.

Deep_Six_Proof.jpg

That is too awesome John. Your little abode is becoming the blueprint for mine. I've basically told my wife, "See that? That's what I want someday"

If it were me I'd figure out how big I needed it to be and than go a little bigger if space and money allows. I would be a shame to get it all finished and wish you had just a little more room.

I have to ask what program did you use to develope the image you created to make that sign? (the one you gave the sign people so they knew what it should look like) I would love to make a sign like that for my own place but i dont know jack about graphic art on the computer.

Back