DEEESaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_osbourn

Reaction score
DEEESaster!!!!!:confused::confused:

Midway through bottling my winter warmer a bottle explodes along with my capper. Don’t really know which one cause the explosion but there I was with 3 gallons of beer in the bottling bucket with no capper. At this point it was 8:30 PM so no chance of me getting a capper anytime soon. I then just took the crimping part of the capper, grabbed a hammer and went to work….Does anyone think this might do something to the beer with all that banging????the beer of course….

c_osbourn said:
DEEESaster!!!!!:confused::confused: Midway through bottling my winter warmer a bottle explodes along with my capper. Don’t really know which one cause the explosion but there I was with 3 gallons of beer in the bottling bucket with no capper. At this point it was 8:30 PM so no chance of me getting a capper anytime soon. I then just took the crimping part of the capper, grabbed a hammer and went to work….Does anyone think this might do something to the beer with all that banging????the beer of course….

Same thing happened to me a while back... Called it my 'red capper snapper' brown ale

As long as you got the caps on airtight I really don't think a little banging will affect it. RDWHAHB!

There shouldn't be any negative effect; the oldest cappers worked this way, as a matter of fact. While capping with a hammer would make me a bit nervous about breaking a bottle, if you've already managed it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hand_Capper.JPG

I quit bottling after I almost drove my hand into a broken bottle. Cheers on finishing out the batch and glad you're ok.

Back