Decemberfest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modobrew

Reaction score
well since I've seen people complain about others making an Oktoberfest style Ale, since its not a lager, I figured I would just call mine a decemberfest ale. Mainly for the fact that hopefully it will be ready to drink in december. I was using the oktoberfest style as a basis for this recipe. Let me know what you guys think. Any recommendations welcomed.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.90 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.61 %
Bitterness: 24.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.8 SRM

Just a few thoughts-

Why the 8 ounces of pilsner malt? What will it bring to the recipe? I'm just wondering, because I've never seen that before.

As to the hopping, I love Saaz hops but I don't think I'd use them for bittering. I'd use one of the others for bittering, and either not use the Saaz, or use them for finishing hops. I'd probably NOT use them in this recipe, and use the hallertau or tettnang. Saaz hops are awesome in pilsners, and in some wheat beers, so unless that's all you have for bittering, I'd replace it.

whoops, i thought i had removed the pilsner. I was watching football and putting this recipe in and I must have overlooked it. as for the saaz, i was thinking it may add something different to the mix, but i think you might be right, maybe i should just stick with the tettnang and hallertau combo. maybe i'll try to update it and repost.

I'm calling my winter ale Decemberfest, too. I couldn't find any beers or recipes with that name so I thought I was unique. Guess not..

I'm calling my winter ale Decemberfest, too. I couldn't find any beers or recipes with that name so I thought I was unique. Guess not..

damn sorry about that. I thought it was semi-unique, so I guess that makes two of us now. hmmmm guess i'll try to think of something different

ok updated now that im not busy watching football

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 79.55 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.36 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.25 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.33 %
Bitterness: 27.2 IBU
Est Color: 7.8 SRM

Let me know if anything stands out to you guys.

Back