Decarbonation Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
So I have a competition I am entering several beers in, and over the past weekend, I carbonated 2 more beers to submit. One of them carbonated fine, the other I unfortunately over carbonated and I believe it's due to it not being as full as the other, lots of foam on each test pour. I am trying to de-gas the keg, and I left it off gas overnight, periodically releasing the CO2. My question is because I have to go to work and I will be away for 12 hours I thought to reconnect my line with 10 psi to the keg so I don't become too uncarbonated before this competition. Any issue with this?I figured if get home tonight and it's still foaming, I can repeat the steps above.

Also, the lines are the correct length, as the lines are all the same length in the keezer and this is the first keg that this has happened to. When I filled the keg, there was about 4.75 gallons and I did 30 psi, about 1.5mins of gentle rolling, 24 hours, then released pressure (I know, some disagree with this method but I needed them carbed quick for this competition).

You're not going to lose and carbonation in a sealed keg off the gas unless there is a leak. I don't know why you'd want to put it back on the gas if it's still overcarbonated.

I suppose my concern was that it may become flat, but I will test tonight and if it's still too foamy, I'll take it off the gas completely and purge it.

I've read that when I purge, to keep just a little gas in there to ensure a seal. Does that sound right?

The volume of beer in a keg won't change the carbonation. Is there a chance you kegged it before it was fully done fermenting? As chickypad said, leave it off the gas and vent the keg and then let equalize again to lower the carb level. Repeat as required.

Beer was definitely done fermenting, I tested it quite a few times prior to kegging with no change.

So essentially what I need to do is fully purge, wait a little while, then purge again until I get good pours?

Yes, purge frequently until it's back to where you want it. It sounds like the culprit was the shaking at high pressure with the extra headspace - that's always the risk which is why I never do it. 30 psi at 24-30 hrs then another day at equilibrium pressure usually gets me where I want it.

That's what I'm thinking, is the additional headspace screwed me here. I need to just do as you do and hook it up to 30 psi for a day or so then purge. When do you that, and you keeping it hooked to 30psi the entire duration?

So I purged several times now to the point that there is no more gas coming out. Then I hooked it back to my serving pressure and I'm still getting foam. Any chance that the diptube is messed up somehow? I'd imagine that purging this about 8 times over the past day would have dropped carbonation?

Does it taste over-carbonated?

A quick way to de-carbonate is to open up the release valve and hook your gas to the OUT at 1-2 PSI. As the CO2 flows up through the beer, it will shake out some of the carbonation. The only issue with this method is that you can get to pretty flat beer faster than you might think.

Would it maybe just be a case that when I'm hooking the gas back up, I'm immediately taking a pour and not giving it time to settle?

Are you setting it back to full serving pressure before pulling a pint? Might be something with the quick connect or hose. Picnic tap or faucet? Try swapping out as much as you can on the out side. You can depressurize and pull the dip tube but I doubt that’s the issue. Give it a few days, some beers are just finicky, the more you mess with it the more it may act up.

I know you didn’t ask but I usually go 40-50 psi for 24 hours, then back it off to about 20-30psi for 24 hours then serving pressure 10-12 psi for a few days. Releasing keg pressure after each change in pressure. I’ve tried 30psi for 24 hours and still had flat beer. I usually carb and serve at 40 degrees.

So I purged several times now to the point that there is no more gas coming out. Then I hooked it back to my serving pressure and I'm still getting foam. Any chance that the diptube is messed up somehow? I'd imagine that purging this about 8 times over the past day would have dropped carbonation?
After you fully purge it the pressure builds up again quickly as CO2 bubbles out of the beer. So you need to keep purging.

You can speed things by hooking the gas up to the beer out post at serving pressure, then purge purge purge. The CO2 coming in effectively shake up the keg, pulling a lot of gas out of the beer.

Are you setting it back to full serving pressure before pulling a pint? Might be something with the quick connect or hose. Picnic tap or faucet? Try swapping out as much as you can on the out side. You can depressurize and pull the dip tube but I doubt that’s the issue. Give it a few days, some beers are just finicky, the more you mess with it the more it may act up.

I know you didn’t ask but I usually go 40-50 psi for 24 hours, then back it off to about 20-30psi for 24 hours then serving pressure 10-12 psi for a few days. Releasing keg pressure after each change in pressure. I’ve tried 30psi for 24 hours and still had flat beer. I usually carb and serve at 40 degrees.
My last few purges had no gas release in them, so I thought perhaps something was up with the out side. I noticed large air pockets in the line, and after some research, it seems like that could be a number of things, including a faulty o-ring on the flange of the dip tube. I pulled the tube and replaced the o-ring, now there are no air pockets. I'm going to let it sit for a bit and see what happens. At this point, I doubt this beer will be ready for competition entry this Saturday.

After you fully purge it the pressure builds up again quickly as CO2 bubbles out of the beer. So you need to keep purging.

You can speed things by hooking the gas up to the beer out post at serving pressure, then purge purge purge. The CO2 coming in effectively shake up the keg, pulling a lot of gas out of the beer.
I purged quite a bit, to the point that the last few purges had nothing release. I think I may have had an issue with my out side o-ring. I'm going to test again tonight.

Did replacing the o-ring help? I’m having the same issue. Not sure how an o-ring would cause foam but I’ve read the same thing.

Did replacing the o-ring help? I’m having the same issue. Not sure how an o-ring would cause foam but I’ve read the same thing.
I replaced it, and it did cut down on the bubbling in the line, but I still had to purge a few times. I think this was multiple issues at work.

Update: so I ended up doing another purging cycle over about a 4 day period, then hooked the gas up tonight and my pours are still half foam. I replaced o-ring on the dip tube, poppet, line length is the same as it always has with no problems, so I think I'm just going to let it sit for a few days on the gas and see if it settles down. If not, I suppose I will try another cycle, going 5+days of purging.

Back