Deans ebrew area and slow build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after what seems a lifetime. I am finally back on homebrew talk. Took a hiatus as I was constantly bombarded with pop ups that made the site unusable.
During that time. I have finally got all my spike kettles put together and finally last Friday had the waterproof non slip floor coating installed in the basement brew area.

Now comes the most daunting part putting every back together and the finally getting back to brewing again

I share the space with the laundry as you will see in the pictures. I have the table roughly in place for kettles. The sink will be to the left of the table. The ebrew panel will be mounted on the wall to the right of the table. Boil kettle has a steam slayer installed. Hopefully when I get everything back into the area I will take more pictures

I am thinking of installing FRP board on the wall behind the kettles and where sink and laundry area is.
I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel but due to work and illness it’s been a long process.
355CA31D-3C2D-4547-ACE4-95D885523568.jpeg
35E2A43C-9B7A-4993-837F-6A0EC14FD278.jpeg
0521B30C-573A-4F00-9C60-5EF99359BF10.jpeg

Some pictures from 1st brew day
didn’t do too well hitting my numbers. This is going to be a good learning curve. OG should have been 1.049. I came out at 1.042. I did get a mash efficiency of 74% Definitely my fault. Too much water in boil kettle and with the steam slayer didn’t boil off too much. The wort going in to boil kettle looked so good.
1 question for the seasoned pros. It took nearly 55 minutes to transfer wort from boil into fermenter through the counter flow. Did get wort down to 60 degrees though. Is 55 minutes normall for 6.5 gallon I’m thinking not.
I have some cheap pumps from Amazon. I’m thinking that was the issue.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• E0400856-EDD3-4705-BD3A-93F5520E7328.jpeg
    E0400856-EDD3-4705-BD3A-93F5520E7328.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 45D8BC25-1AF2-406A-B41B-1412CECFADC3.jpeg
    45D8BC25-1AF2-406A-B41B-1412CECFADC3.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 96
  • 70F8A255-3ED6-49EE-B6CD-D2462CE86FA3.jpeg
    70F8A255-3ED6-49EE-B6CD-D2462CE86FA3.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 84369C6A-B860-4A9A-B5AF-428BD6A644C7.jpeg
    84369C6A-B860-4A9A-B5AF-428BD6A644C7.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 6007C19D-92D2-4A47-93C0-1EDA4D043D1C.jpeg
    6007C19D-92D2-4A47-93C0-1EDA4D043D1C.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 89
You are correct about the OG. Just been transparent. And thank you for the kind words. Will definitely post a pic of final beer. Not sure how fermentation will go. I’m using a old vile of Hanson ale yeast I found and made a starter with. It had a use by date of September 2019. Made a starter and will see if it takes off. Starter looked good. If not I have some dry yeast or some Kveik to pitch.

Congrats on your rig and the maiden voyage! After another brew day or two you will have it dialed in and can predict your brew house efficiency. Then you will know how much grain to use for your recipes and be able to hit your numbers more effectively. Good luck in your brewing endeavors!

John

1 question for the seasoned pros. It took nearly 55 minutes to transfer wort from boil into fermenter through the counter flow. Did get wort down to 60 degrees though. Is 55 minutes normall for 6.5 gallon I’m thinking not.

Yes and no...it all depends on your ground water. My water here in CT from my well is 60° in the summer and 52-55° in the winter. I let the CFC run and check after 5 minutes. Last brew day i was down to 64° in 8 minutes. Once it hits the desired temp I move the hose into the fermenter. I wouldn't wait for the whole thing to be down to temp in the kettle...waste of time and water.

Edit: Congratulations on the new brew area and getting back up and running!

I would love to see more pictures of your set up. I’m in the middle of build my HERMS controller now.
what size is your table?
I’ve now seen the braided power cable from the panel to the elements a few times, where did you source that?
Thanks

I would love to see more pictures of your set up. I’m in the middle of build my HERMS controller now.
what size is your table?
I’ve now seen the braided power cable from the panel to the elements a few times, where did you source that?
Thanks
Kevy i will post more pics next time i have my phone in there.
The stainless table is 5ft long x 30 inch wide. Bought from Amazon

I bought the cable and the sleaving from Kal at The electric Brewery website

Kevy i will post more pics next time i have my phone in there.
The stainless table is 5ft long x 30 inch wide. Bought from Amazon

I bought the cable and the sleaving from Kal at The electric Brewery website
Thanks for the info

Yes and no...it all depends on your ground water. My water here in CT from my well is 60° in the summer and 52-55° in the winter. I let the CFC run and check after 5 minutes. Last brew day i was down to 64° in 8 minutes. Once it hits the desired temp I move the hose into the fermenter. I wouldn't wait for the whole thing to be down to temp in the kettle...waste of time and water.

Edit: Congratulations on the new brew area and getting back up and running!
So do you just let wort run back into BK until u get the temp u want and then put hose in ferm?

Some pictures from 1st brew day
didn’t do too well hitting my numbers. This is going to be a good learning curve. OG should have been 1.049. I came out at 1.042. I did get a mash efficiency of 74% Definitely my fault. Too much water in boil kettle and with the steam slayer didn’t boil off too much. The wort going in to boil kettle looked so good.
I have some cheap pumps from Amazon. I’m thinking that was the issue.
Thanks all.

So the transfer itself took 55 minutes?

I made a counterflow, and thought that it would gravity drain, but that worked poorly. I tried a cheap hot water pump, and that worked OK, but it died after a couple of brews. I thought, screw it, got a Riptide, and it's awesome. You can adjust the flow at the pump, and it disassembles easily for cleaning. If you get one, get some extra if the tiny washers, they are easy to lose. :)

So the transfer itself took 55 minutes?

I made a counterflow, and thought that it would gravity drain, but that worked poorly. I tried a cheap hot water pump, and that worked OK, but it died after a couple of brews. I thought, screw it, got a Riptide, and it's awesome. You can adjust the flow at the pump, and it disassembles easily for cleaning. If you get one, get some extra if the tiny washers, they are easy to lose. :)
Yes the transfer from kettle to fill fermenter took 55 minutes. As our ground water is cold this time of year, I didn't have to pass it back into kettle, got it from 170 to 60 degrees in one pass

Yes the transfer from kettle to fill fermenter took 55 minutes. As our ground water is cold this time of year, I didn't have to pass it back into kettle, got it from 170 to 60 degrees in one pass

That's a long time. I get 11 gallons from kettle to fermenter in one pass to low 70s and it takes 10-15 minutes maybe? I built a parallel tube counterflow, so it's maybe a little different.

Back