Dealing with keggle thermal mass while chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
When using an immersion chiller, it seems the brewstand and keggle seem to retain a lot of heat and transfer back to the wort as it's chilling.

I think a fan on the bottom would help, but not to keen on having the dust flying around the wort.

Not too interested in plate chillers.

Spraying with a garden hose might work, but most of the water pressure is tied up chilling, plus this could get messy in the garage.

A think a double-wall cooling jacket kettle would be neat, but cost more than I can afford.

Not really a big deal to me, but wondered if perhaps anyone has seen this issue being dealt with in a simple way. thanks

This sounds like way to much work but imagine if you will... BUM BUM BUM wraping a cold wet beach towel around the keggle then strapping flat flexible type icepacks all over the keggle with some sort of zip tie bungy cord contraptions... Sounds like a science time!!!!!!

That does sound neat. The gel packs once I get the temp down a touch to prevent melting. Actually I was just thinking that I haven't been using a pump lately. That is probably part of the issue as well.

Back