Deal of the Century?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite

Reaction score
Okay I finally tried to commit Hari Kari with my glass carboy and decided plastic bucket fermenter all the way. I am always searching for a great deal and found these VERY inexpensive 6 gallon buckets. So I sent an email regarding their food grade status but I have one of these stores down the street and some $5.00 per bucket is very hard to pass up. Granted construction yellow is not ideal but wow. I may just go get one and see what the codes are on the bottom and see if a gamma seal will fit on them.

I tried to follow your link. I got a "page unavailable error".

Without looking at the item that you mentioned I only offer this advise.

I've found that you always get what you pay for, unless you are lucky enough to score something second hand from someone else that paid for it.

When you are dealing with questions that could be health related, I wouldn't be quick to take a chance. While I understand that saving money is always an important priority, I usually set that aside if the difference is a matter of a Hamilton and my peace of mind.

If you want a hardware store variety bucket, Lowes has a food grade, white bucket for about the same price. Don't have to question the yellow dye they used. But keep in mind that a 5g bucket isn't big enough for a 5g batch.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Mixing-Bucket-Gal-6GAL-MIXING-UCKET/10029592 thats the link. I am still researching and finding the issue of the plastic a dyes etc have been much discussed. The adavantage of these buckets are they are 6 gallons all the wally world lowes and homer buckets are 5 gallons. my target batch size in the fermenter is 4.5 gallons since thats 2 cases even. So 6 gallon bucket should be just about right.

Dyes scare me to be honest, I've taken quite a few chem courses (yay for biomedical science major..) and one of my profs was quite active in the development of a few of them. Food grade dyes are very specific. Aside from the dyes, there are also other chemicals that are used in non food plastic production that are questionable, an example is some that MAY mimic estrogen in the body.

My lhbs has 6.5g buckets and lids for 10.99. Factor in the cost of adding a lid and there isn't much difference in price.

Ok, I could get to that link.

Not ideal for my purposes, but I suppose you could brew beer in it.

I would be sad that I couldn't brew a true 5 or 5.5 gallon batch in there. I would maybe use it to brew a mead or half-sized batches of beer. However, I never do that. I go 5 gallons or more or I just don't do it.

With that noted, I would be interested in using these for some wines. I'm not a wine drinker really, if I experimented with wine I wouldn't want to tie up my beer equipment for it.

Dyes scare me to be honest, I've taken quite a few chem courses (yay for biomedical science major..) and one of my profs was quite active in the development of a few of them. Food grade dyes are very specific. Aside from the dyes, there are also other chemicals that are used in non food plastic production that are questionable, an example is some that MAY mimic estrogen in the body.

My lhbs has 6.5g buckets and lids for 10.99. Factor in the cost of adding a lid and there isn't much difference in price.

Quoting this guy, I'm again assured of why I don't trust brewing equipment specifically designed for brewing.

it is my fear as well. But crashing into a 5 gallon carboy full of beer was a bit scary (read alot) how I came away from it with a few very small cuts is beyond explanation. I was carrying it up basement stares and tripped. Plastics in general seem less safe in regards to chemicals leeching. I like the convenience of a bucket but the benefits of glass. I have to carry the wort and fermented beer to and from my basement this is the primary benefit of the bucket for me. I am considering using a bucket to move the wort/beer to and from the fermenter. that way I can use the glass fermenter and take advantage of the bucket's benefits.

Not going into the pros and cons too much, but I like my food grade buckets for most of my brewing. They are cheap, easy to clean, and sturdy. Plus I probably won't injure my self if I drop one. Adding a extra transfer may be not be the best/most convenient thing with the chances of infection and oxidation, so you may want to look at using buckets, Better Bottles, or any of the other plastic fermenters as the sole thing.

I got this link to work. http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Mixing-Bucket-Gal-6GAL-MIXING-BUCKET/10029592 Looking at the review by "TZ", he says it's food safe & made of the correct material. I also notice it's the same shape as my blue Lowe's bucket. Save for the fact that it's 6G. He must've gone there & looked at it for the triangle "2" thing on the bottom, because there's nothing on-site to click on for info.

FWIW, did anybody see the segment on "60 minutes" about LL indicating their products are labeled one thing but test significantly below standards? (Google formaldehyde and Lumber Liquidators if you haven't.) If you can't trust the product from them on which you walk, why gamble on one that holds what you ingest? Are Lowe's or Home Depot buckets any better? Is there a USA made bucket? I don't know the answer to any of my questions, just wanted to generate a little more discussion about buckets over morning coffee.

Well, I got the blue bucket shaped like that one from Lowe's, but it's 5 gallon. I use it to place my Barley Crusher grain mill on when milling grains on brew day. The base of the BC fit's the Lowe's bucket tighter than the orange Home Depot bucket. I've even stored milled grains sealed in it overnight with no ill effects. So if this bucket is made by the same manufacturer it could be ok. I just wish they list such things in the descriptions on-site.

FWIW, did anybody see the segment on "60 minutes" about LL indicating their products are labeled one thing but test significantly below standards? (Google formaldehyde and Lumber Liquidators if you haven't.) If you can't trust the product from them on which you walk, why gamble on one that holds what you ingest? Are Lowe's or Home Depot buckets any better? Is there a USA made bucket? I don't know the answer to any of my questions, just wanted to generate a little more discussion about buckets over morning coffee.

YES! Although I've not purchased anything from LL in the past, the news segment scared me from buying products from then in the future. I came away from the 60 Minutes segment with the feeling that the ownership just doesn't care about safety as long as they can resell the cheapest products available sourced mostly from China.

I think storing grain, even long term, won't have nearly the same potential of negative health consequences as a bucket full of solvent (alcohol). Add in the fact that the wort will likely be at least warm when added and it seems your risk outweighs saving a couple bucks.

I'm not sure really? With a tiny bit of moisture in the grains & maybe some wild thangs...it might be almost as bad if the material isn't proper?

Are Lowe's or Home Depot buckets any better? Is there a USA made bucket?

Yes, Encore Plastics is a US company in Sandusky, Ohio. Their FAQ page has several questions about whether their buckets (carried by Lowes and Walmart in my area) are food safe. The short answer is "Yes, all of our containers are made from a virgin FDA approved resin except the Econo-Blend containers which are made from regrind material and are not food grade" (Encore Plastics FAQ). This means that their #2 white 5 gallon buckets are perfect for our use. I just wish they made them in 7.5, 10, and 15 gallon sizes.

Cody

Thanks for all the comments. In the end I agree cheap is not better. I simply can't convince myself that fermenting in buckets is the way to go in general. Glass just has a certain elegance. Instead of moving the carboy around i will transport the wort/beer via a sanitized bucket.

Of course a dedicated man cave with electric brewery and stainless conical fermenters is ideal but unless I win the lottery or Daddy Worbucks leaves me his fortune looks like I am stuck with my makeshift brewery.

I read a post where someone contacted Leaktite which is the company that makes the orange Home Depot buckets. They are labeled with the 2 but the company said the plastic is OK but the dye to make them orange is not. It was suggested to not use them for fermenting. I would suspect the same is true for the yellow LL buckets and the blue Lowes buckets.

I have a local dairy that sells their empty syrup buckets for $1.50 ea. They are 5 gallon ones though.

I prefer my Better Bottles anyway.

I've been using the orange Home Depot bucket for soaking bottles, emptying PBW out of my fermenters & the like for a couple years. The blue Lowe's bucket only sees my barley crusher. Good so far.

If you want a hardware store variety bucket, Lowes has a food grade, white bucket for about the same price. Don't have to question the yellow dye they used. But keep in mind that a 5g bucket isn't big enough for a 5g batch.

The white ones are dyed as well.

I won't disagree, but the fda approval and US manufacture put my mind at ease.

To the OP....

You seem to be missing the point. No one is saying don't use buckets. They're saying to spend a couple extra bucks, and get a SUITABLE bucket.

Also, 4.5 gallons the the fermenter will not 2 cases make. After loss to the yeast you'll end up closer to 1.75 cases. 5 gallons in the fermenter, assume a half gallon loss to yeast, and you've got your 2 cases.

Back