Dead Rise (Flying Dog special release)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearwig

Reaction score
I am in love, and it's not just the "Old Bay" (obviously it doesn't contain actual Old Bay, but you can tell some of the spices used are inspired by it).

So two things are on my mind: A) What yeast? Is it a saison yeast? Trappist even? There's a lot of clovey yeast character (of course actual clove is a factor), a little banana too. It's well attenuated, but not crazy--it's a small/medium ABV beer and I'd put it around 1.008-1.010 (didn't decarb any to test). I know they go to some Belgian selections from White Labs, so I'd say WLP565 is a good bet, but I'd like to hear opinions.

B) What spices? Wikipedia lists the following ingredients in Old Bay:
mustard, paprika, celery salt, bay leaf, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, mace, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger

I think these guys made or might have made the cut: paprika, celery seed (not salt), black pepper, maybe a trace of red pepper, mace, definitely cloves, probably allspice, nutmeg, definitely cardamom, definitely ginger.

For any of you who don't know what I'm talking about, my apologies. And if you don't like it, I get you (and I'm probably blaming the yeast character more than the spices)--but man, it's the stuff.

Cheers, man. I feel like there can't be much, Old Bay is very salty, and there's no salt free version (at least not retail--just "30% less"). I mean you could use a pinch for "authenticity" (MD street cred), and then get most of the flavor from the key ingredients. Is that on the money? (Or privileged access to Old Bay minus the salt. I'd say even odds, since McCormick is probably loving the buzz as much as you all are.)

Cool on the yeast (they didn't show it on the other page I was looking at). Surprised it's German Ale, assuming that's Wyeast 1007. I'm guessing FD must be using it closer to upper 60s, I do get a good bit of esters. Might have to give that strain a go sometime.

As for tastes, I get you, but I thought it was pretty subdued. I definitely have had, say, mainstream craft brewery saisons that don't even advertise to be spiced (but are) that hit me over the head more than this. It's good that it's fairly dry, or I'd be thinking twice. Excellent balance for a spiced beer, IMO.

I was skeptical about the beer but since I live right down the road from FD and they are one of my favorite brewers I gave it a shot. I was blown away by how they got the Old Bay flavor without turning it into a DuClaw (also right up the road) - style over-the-top kind of brew. Really good beer and I'm not originally from Maryland nor obligated to like Old Bay (but I do).

I recommend anyone that can get a hold of this beer try it.

Hey guys, I can promise you there is actual Old Bay in Dead Rise. You can trust me on this..... I'm the brewmaster for Flying Dog.
Cheers!

Well to bad someone couldn't give some hints on how to clone it without getting themselves in any trouble hint hint :beer:

Latest posts

Back