Dead propane tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
My first propane tank has hit it's expiration date. Actually, it hit it in September of last year. I've been slowly running it down on my grill all summer.

The question is: what's the best thing to do with it? Trash? Metal recycler? Trade it for a Blue Rhino? I've heard conflicting stories about if I can get those filled at a filling station.

I'd trade it for a blue Rhino.

I live near an Indian reservation. They will fill them because the state laws don't apply there. Some places will fill them, but don't count on it.

Getting it recertified will cost as much as a new tank at Lowes (~$25).

I'd trade it in as well. That said, is also check the "rules" posted on the blue rhino cage. Just to be sure.

Around here is cheaper to exchange for a blue rhino, then when empty go get it filled at the local hardware store.

If you have 2 tanks get them both filled at the same time, hand the current dated one first. But most places don't even look.

Otherwise, yeah swap em out.

I bought the replacement tank for it last year. But I have been getting used to having one for brewing, one for backup or heating other water, and one for the grill.

I don't want to keep using the old tank. I have doubts about the valve. If I would leave it connected to the grill with it shut off, I suspect it would leak a little gas. When I shut it off and disconnected it after every use, it lasted twice as long. It was like the weight of the connection would crack the valve open or something.

A blue rhino trade in is $16 to $20 depending on where I go. A blue rhino without trade in is about $45. A new tank at Lowes about $29 and to fill a completely empty tank is about $14.

So, basically I'm ahead $2 or more every time I go to a filling station.

But if I could trade in an old tank for a blue rhino tank and then refill it on my own, it might be worth it.

If you trade it in for a Blue Rhino, or an AmeriGas, use the 24 hour ones to make the swap. To get it checked will cost around $10.00. I ran into that exact situation 2 weeks ago, I had a tank that had expired and didn't know to check it wasn't free. The nice lady at the propane place told me a refilled one was $19.00, and to wait and get mine checked plus propane fill was $25, and I would have to wait over an hour...
Because of Commercial Commerce Regulations, all pre filled propane tanks that are transported, can be no more that 80% filled in case of a very hot day causing safety valves to open up. Anyway $19.99 for 3.5 gallons of propane in a refillable tank is as good as it gets.

Just out of curiosity, how many batches does a propane tank last you? Assume use on an AG set up...

I fill mine at the local gas station until they need to be re-certified or are getting rusty, then I trade them in for a blue rhino that is all shiny and certified.

Yeah, I swap then shop at the local blue rhino cage for a pretty tank and one with a real good hydro date. Annoys the girl at the grocery store....but sorry about her luck

Just out of curiosity, how many batches does a propane tank last you? Assume use on an AG set up...

My last brew day was two 5 gallon batches. It was my first time with the new tank, a new burner, a new keggle, and my first time BIABing an all grain brew.

I did both brews on about 1/2 a tank, (10.2lbs left in the tank).

I'm glad you asked that question and I went out and checked. That's about twice as energy efficient as my old setup. With my MLT and BK, I could usually get two brews done on a tank but never have enough left for a third.

I was really worried that I was wasting a lot of gas with how quickly I could ramp up my wort to boiling.

W0, I get 5 - 6 five gallon brews out of a 20 pound tank. It's hard to say exactly, though. I wind up frying a turkey, boiling crawfish, or for whatever reason, taking a little longer or shorter on some brew days.

Here's a good link to figuring out how much is in the tank. I haven't been caught out.

http://moorecountyboyscouts.org/propane.html

A 20 pound tank has about 4.5 - 4.7 gallons in it.

Then there's the whole raging debate over how full is a full tank; 100 - 80 or 75% full. I get mine filled at Ace. When I put the gauge on, it says 100% full. I get what I feel like is the appropriate amount of use out of one tank. I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only talking bout pre filled tanks. Otherwise your local whoever will fill as full as possible. You mentioned having ten pounds of gas left, does your tank weigh 18 pounds then?

Even the pre-filled tanks should weigh 20lbs over the tare weight when full. The 20lb number is 80 percent full on a 5 gallon tank, they just don't fill the pre-filled tanks to the 80 percent number to make a few extra dollars on their end and to "try to keep the consumer price down..."

I was only talking bout pre filled tanks. Otherwise your local whoever will fill as full as possible. You mentioned having ten pounds of gas left, does your tank weigh 18 pounds then?

I know 4.7 gallons was filled in the tank. Assuming 4.1lbs/gallon, that's 19.3lbs.

I weighed it this morning at 26.8lbs. The tare weight is stamped 16.6lbs. That's 10.2lbs or 2.5 gallons left.

In 2008, Blue Rhino started filling their tanks to 15lbs. They admit it on their FAQ. Before that, it was 17lbs.

The low fill volume and halving to completely empty a tank are the two main reasons I've always stayed away from Blue Rhino and AmeriGas.

I drove past a Blue Rhino exchange today. Looks like the exchange rate is $19. I think what I'll do, and I saw a guy have to do this last thanksgiving, is take the tank to a filling station, not be able to get it filled because of expiration, and do the exchange instead.

I guess all grain must take a lot more propane than extract brewing eh? A much longer brew day? I average about 2 pounds of propane loss per 5 gallon batch on my Dark Star burner and I do a full boil. I weighed my tank before and after my brew day to check its efficiency.

A couple of years ago I had 2 tanks expire on me so I took them to a gas supply store and they charged me 5 dollars for a new inspection and I believe it is good for 7 or 10 years. I don't trade mine in cause they are 30lb tanks and if I buy the propane in larger quantities they give a discount. I think they will sell 100lb of propane for $50. Which is 1/2 the price of getting it by the 20lb tanks.
I got my tanks off of somebody who was junking an old RV.

A couple of years ago I had 2 tanks expire on me so I took them to a gas supply store and they charged me 5 dollars for a new inspection and I believe it is good for 7 or 10 years. I don't trade mine in cause they are 30lb tanks and if I buy the propane in larger quantities they give a discount. I think they will sell 100lb of propane for $50. Which is 1/2 the price of getting it by the 20lb tanks.
I got my tanks off of somebody who was junking an old RV.

5 Dollars is incredibly cheap and I would gladly pay that for a re-hydro. Did they actually pull the valves? Around here it is around 35-50 dollars. :(

5 Dollars is incredibly cheap and I would gladly pay that for a re-hydro. Did they actually pull the valves? Around here it is around 35-50 dollars. :(

i'm not sure if they pulled the valves they took the tank and I had to wait a week or two cause they sent it out to be tested. As for the price that was quite a few years ago. I also do a lot of business were I had this done. So I'm not sure if that curbed the price a bit.

My local hardware store (Porter Hardware in DSM Iowa) does a $5 tank exchange + fill on expired tanks. You get a re-certified tank and they send them off to be certified.

Back