deactivate yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
i was reading articles on health aspect of yeast and they mention deactivated yeast. when or how does the yeast deactivate?

so after fermentation is done. yeast dies?

Not exactly, it just goes into a sort of stasis. Over time it will slowly start dying off though as it can only live off its reserves for so long.

Not exactly, it just goes into a sort of stasis. Over time it will slowly start dying off though as it can only live off its reserves for so long.

so if i were to bottle condition for say 3-4wks.. by than is a good chance it may have died off and be safe to consume.

so if i were to bottle condition for say 3-4wks.. by than is a good chance it may have died off and be safe to consume.

No not really. Yeast can live quite a long time in this `stasis' period. As far as your conditioning goes, you can consume without concern. Most of it will settle on the bottom. Just leave whats on the bottom of the bottle when you pour.

There isn't any safety issue to be concerned with anyways. Mostly it will just make you burp.

-bn

+1 to bn

Yeast won't hurt you, in fact it has a lot of nutrients in it making an unfiltered beer healthier than a filtered beer. Of course you don't want to consume too much of it or you could get gassy...look at commercially bottle conditioned beers to get an idea of how much yeast to expect on the bottom.

Here's some info on the health aspect on the very LIVING yeast inside our homebrew and many commercial beers. Not just Belgains, but ALL our beers.

brewersyeast.jpg

Back