De Bom blend - saison w/ scuppernong grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed up my standard saison recipe. Pitched Ardennes and the Wyeast De Bom sour blend. De Bom is supposed to produce a sour beer in a couple months. After a month and a half I was getting some sourness, but not anywhere near where I'd like. At that time I added 9 lbs of pressed scuppernong grapes. It's been on the grapes (skins, seeds, and all) for about a month now. Tastes quite nice, very vinous. However, the acidity is still not where I'd like it to be.

Any thoughts on how to increase the sourness? Should I just let it ride and give it more time? Pitch some dregs? I am hoping to have the beer ready by January as I will be leaving the country for several months come February.

Also, any idea when I should rack off the grapes? I'm not getting any unpleasant tannins as of yet.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Brewed up my standard saison recipe. Pitched Ardennes and the Wyeast De Bom sour blend. De Bom is supposed to produce a sour beer in a couple months. After a month and a half I was getting some sourness, but not anywhere near where I'd like. At that time I added 9 lbs of pressed scuppernong grapes. It's been on the grapes (skins, seeds, and all) for about a month now. Tastes quite nice, very vinous. However, the acidity is still not where I'd like it to be.

Any thoughts on how to increase the sourness? Should I just let it ride and give it more time? Pitch some dregs? I am hoping to have the beer ready by January as I will be leaving the country for several months come February.

Also, any idea when I should rack off the grapes? I'm not getting any unpleasant tannins as of yet.

Thanks!

Patience = sourness. The the best advice I got.

Also the De Bom is supposed to produce sourness but also is supposed to be pitched on its own, the Adrennes is a serious yeast and most likely got to quite a bit of the sugars that would otherwise gone to the lacto.

Also the De Bom is supposed to produce sourness but also is supposed to be pitched on its own, the Adrennes is a serious yeast and most likely got to quite a bit of the sugars that would otherwise gone to the lacto.

Agreed. I think this is what happened.

Yea, I probably should have pitched it alone. Oh well. That said I had expected the bugs to go to town on the sugars from the grapes, but the sourness did not noticeably increase. Should I add some honey or sugar when I rack off the grapes and maybe pitch some dregs or just let it ride?

I'd pitch some dregs and dig in for the long haul. Alcohol production has certainly killed off your Lacto at this point.

So my patience has run out. Normally I would be fine waiting, but I would really like to serve this at a party in a few weeks. The beer tastes great with amazing flavor from the grapes, but the sourness is not quite there. It's slightly tart, pH reads about 4.1.

I am planning to add some lactic acid at kegging, but I'm not sure how much. From what I have read I'm debating somewhere between 5 to 10 mL / gal. Would this be enough to get me into the 3.5 to 3.7 range? I'm not looking for something to scrape the enamel off my teeth.

I'd start at 5mL/gal and taste. I'd also give the keg a good shake and a day or so to homogenize. I had good luck with this in a gose that had some existing tartness but not where I wanted it. You can always add more but you can't take it out.

Update, added 5 mL/gal lactic acid at kegging. Beer has been well received and does not taste artificially soured at all. The scuppernongs give it an amazing aroma.

Back