DC Group Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hesitate to kill the deal for much of the time and effort invested and some resources will be lost. On the other side, I agree there is a point where we need to take action beyond sitting on our hands and just waiting around for miracles to happen.

Personally I can wait longer, as I have some grain stockpiled and just piecemealing the missing ingredients from my LHBS, but that's not what this group buy is meant for. I know some of you are more desperate to get the goodies. And staying in limbo for this long is beyond reasonable. If our supplier doesn't want to do this he should simply say so, and we all move on. Then again, communication has been absolutely nihil. <The horse...>

I wish we could push this order through as is and then reconsider our options for the future. At the moment we do not have an alternate source setup, and it will take some time and effort to do so.

Meanwhile, since this buy is stonebrewer's puppy, I'm waiting for his decision on how to proceed next. I will refund all the monies paid to me by Sunday at the latest, unless a miracle has occurred or you let me know you want it sooner.

I would hesitate to kill the deal for much of the time and effort invested and some resources will be lost. On the other side, I agree there is a point where we need to take action beyond sitting on our hands and just waiting around for miracles to happen.

Personally I can wait longer, as I have some grain stockpiled and just piecemealing the missing ingredients from my LHBS, but that's not what this group buy is meant for. I know some of you are more desperate to get the goodies. And staying in limbo for this long is beyond reasonable. If our supplier doesn't want to do this he should simply say so, and we all move on. Then again, communication has been absolutely nihil. <The horse...>

I wish we could push this order through as is and then reconsider our options for the future. At the moment we do not have an alternate source setup, and it will take some time and effort to do so.

Meanwhile, since this buy is stonebrewer's puppy, I'm waiting for his decision on how to proceed next. I will refund all the monies paid to me by Sunday at the latest, unless a miracle has occurred or you let me know you want it sooner.

Sunday is best I can wait for. If no answer by then, I am done and will be talking to my LHBS about buying bulk from him. Sorry, but I am in limbo with brewing altogether now because my funds are wrapped up in this buy. With the Holidays coming, I can forgo some of the sacks I was going to get and do more ad-hoc brewing...

Ok. I'm game for waiting until Sunday. I have to go to my lhbs today to get some yeast, I can broach the subject of seeing if he would be willing to do an order for us this once. I am not sure if he would want a slight markup or if he would be willing to get it one time at cost, but it can't hurt to ask. My only concern is that my HBS is in Fredricksburg...not near Manassas. I do not have a truck or a garage, so someone would have to be able to assist with that one. Maybe each of us can ask our HBS if one of them would be willing to take pitty on us this one buy? And if we get a taker, go from there?

Some of us have tried to get bulk buys through an LHBS. I'm not sure how deep the exploration went, but the results were slim, from what I remember, and those few who entertained the idea wanted to sell pretty much at their retail price. The only one who actually sent their "bid" was Annapolis HomeBrew in Severna Park (my local LHBS) and, get this, the lot would be dropped off at their store!/I]! Not good for any DC/NOVA/Frederick area brewers, who are the main target group and the only ones in this region at least somewhat interested in organizing these bulk buys.

Derek, however, was the exception, and if he was a more diligent businessman and communicator I'm sure things could have worked out beneficially for all of us, including himself. How many of us stand to make $100-200 from just placing a couple phone calls to the distributor and the group organizer, without even seeing or touching the merchandise traded?

One of the criteria that was on the list, besides pricing and decent variety, is having the order drop shipped at a "centrally located" place for ease of logistics.

Some of us have tried to get bulk buys through an LHBS. I'm not sure how deep the exploration went, but the results were slim, from what I remember, and those few who entertained the idea wanted to sell pretty much at their retail price. The only one who actually sent their "bid" was Annapolis HomeBrew in Severna Park (my local LHBS) and, get this, the lot would be dropped off at their store!/I]! Not good for any DC/NOVA/Frederick area brewers, who are the main target group and the only ones in this region at least somewhat interested in organizing these bulk buys.

Derek, however, was the exception, and if he was a more diligent businessman and communicator I'm sure things could have worked out beneficially for all of us, including himself. How many of us stand to make $100-200 from just placing a couple phone calls to the distributor and the group organizer, without even seeing or touching the merchandise traded?

One of the criteria that was on the list, besides pricing and decent variety, is having the order drop shipped at a "centrally located" place for ease of logistics.

Understood. However, logistics only matter if we are actually getting the grain. :D

So question....did those prices we have include any mark-up or were they flat from the company prices? (Just so I know when I ask my HBS if there is anything in it for them or if it is 100% profitless...) And where did they drop the grain at? Stonebrewers house?

I realize the chance of getting anyone to fill this order is slim, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. I just don't know much about how the previous buys worked.

If you want refunds, all your money is still in PayPal and can be returned at your convenience. If you want to wait and see if Derek ever calls me, you can wait. Everyone needs to make their own decision. I will wait and see what happens as I am in no hurry for malt...others may be in a different position.

Let me state a few facts here.

1) Derek does not make a PENNY off this transaction. Never has. He does it out of his love for homebrewing. I have no leverage to get him to do anything and frankly I have no time to do more than I do already.

2) I do not make a PENNY off this either. I actually end up losing money on each buy as I pay the extra fees for having it delivered on a truck with a lift gate so I can have it delivered to my house. I don't own a business with a loading dock, so there is no other way for me to get the grain.

3) I am frustrated by the lack of return calls/emails, but that has always been the modus operandi. This time it is just a lot worse. Not sure why.

4) Someone is more than welcome to find another vehicle for grain purchases. It is a lot of work for me and I am always busy, so I would relish not having to do this. Before you go into it, we should probably talk so you know what you are getting into.

In regards to those who intend to bail out.

There are quite a few splits in this buy. Anyone who is in on those and decides to "split" from the deal will leave empty spots that need to be filled. I'm sure we can ways to redistribute or decide to jettison a whole split.

I can see the hardship of having $50-$400 tied up in stonebrewer's PayPal account until Derek moves, if he ever does. In the mean time, we must brew on!

Since it can take a while, I want to suggest this:
Anyone who wants to stay "IN" should perhaps leave a minimum (20-30%?) deposit. Then when the deal goes forward, the balance is due at once or forfeit the deposit. This is not my call, just a thought.

There are quite a few splits in this buy. Anyone who is in on those and decides to "split" from the deal will leave empty spots that need to be filled. I'm sure we can ways to redistribute or decide to jettison a whole split.

I can see the hardship of having $50-$400 tied up in stonebrewer's PayPal account until Derek moves, if he ever does. In the mean time, we must brew on!

Anyone who wants to stay "IN" should perhaps leave a minimum (20-30%?) deposit. Then when the deal goes forward, the balance is due at once or forfeit the deposit. This is not my call, just a thought.

Count me out. I just ordered sacks from my LHBS for $50/each (base malt). Please refund my money for all splits and my main purchase.

I can just refund everyone until we have word from Derek. The money just sits in PayPal until he calls me to say he is placing the order. It can just as easily sit in your bank accounts until I hear from him. I don't care one way or the other...

I've been lurking and would love to buy a sack or two to make up the difference of the few who might bail, if you are going to try to continue the purchase. I need a price list, however ... Sent a few PMs to Stonebrewer over the past few weeks, but I totally understand that you're super busy ... if I can get a price list I would love to get in on this

I'm willing to stick it out for a little longer, but would like to know what the short term plan is. Maybe this will unwind enough that the decision to cancel is the only option. If not, how long do we wait?

Is everyone else on my split ok? I think people need to take into consideration if they paid a split the refund might not be instantaneous as it was not like those of us with the splits held onto the money. I just refunded $36 out of my pocket since I paid for the whole split with those funds already. I am sure it was the same for IslandLizzard.

I'm still interested in the group buy but only to a certain point. Are we going to set a drop dead date?

Is everyone else on my split ok? I think people need to take into consideration if they paid a split the refund might not be instantaneous as it was not like those of us with the splits held onto the money. I just refunded $36 out of my pocket since I paid for the whole split with those funds already. I am sure it was the same for IslandLizzard.

I'm still interested in the group buy but only to a certain point. Are we going to set a drop dead date?

You're absolutely right. Monies received for the splits are credits toward the whole sacks that were billed to the primary buyers. That's why my bill is $400+. There are 6 sacks of splits in there, with another 2 yet to come.

I've removed redskinnfann's splits so there are a few openings again on the various crystals and your DME (15# unclaimed). They need to be filled one way or another. So stock up on those while you can.

I guess stonebrewer needs to keep probing our buyer until he wakes up. Try a heat stick next time! Although I can put some of the malts to good use, I'm in no direct absolute dire need for anything right now, but I will be sometime next year. :D

That said, I don't need an absolute deadline, but a delivery in the near future would be appreciated.

Hi All,

If a spot becomes available for full sacks, I would like to request:

1x Rahr 2-row

Also, I would be happy to buy the remaining 12.5# of C60 :)

Let me know if this works.

::mug::

bucksnort999 said:
Going to Manassas today to chat with Derek. He can ignore a call or email. I am alitlle
a little harder to miss. Will see if this guy is willing to finish this for us.. I can make up any bags that fall out. Need to wrap this up or move on. I have brewin to do.

Going to Manassas today to chat with Derek. He can ignore a call or email. I am [sic] a little harder to miss. Will see if this guy is willing to finish this for us.. I can make up any bags that fall out. Need to wrap this up or move on. I have brewin to do.

Excellent idea! Thank you for trying to wrangle the impasse. I really hope your venture is fruitful.

Don't forget to bring a hard copy of the order with you.

For illustration purpose, this bulk buy filled on Oct 10. Stonebrewer compiled the order on Oct 13 and wrote on Oct 17:
"Still have not heard back from the buyer."

Hi All,

If a spot becomes available for full sacks, I would like to request:

1x Rahr 2-row
Also, I would be happy to buy the remaining 12.5# of C60 :)

Let me know if this works.
::mug::

Here's a summary of what's changed with reddskinnfan dropping out:

reddskinnfan had ordered 5 full sacks and participated in a bunch of splits:
3x Rahr 2-row
1x Rahr Pils
1x Rahr Red Wheat malt

So these sacks should be taken up by others or replaced with different ones.

The splits will go forward as ordered but we need some of us to take the extra pounds leftover now.

Shoshin just ordered:
1x Rahr 2-row
12.5# C60

That leaves us with 4 full sacks to be filled as well as:
  • C20 - 12.5#
  • C40 - 10#
  • DME - 15#
  • Carapils - 15#

[EDIT] I can be coaxed in taking one 2-row...

I will take the C20. I really don't want an extra 15 lbs of DME...but if someone would be willing to take 7.5 lbs of it, I can take the rest to get the bag closed.

If we can get this all in the next month or so, add me in for the additional 2 bags. (I figure I better stock up since who knows when or if another will happen if we get this working...)

(1) Rhar 2 row
(1) Rahr Pilsner

Quick question...what is the differance between weyermann and the rahr premium pilsner?

For all interested, I'm still in. Looks like I'll be moving next month so there's not much brewing to be done before that anyways. Thanks everyone for hanging in and trying to make this happen

:mug:

For all interested, I'm still in. Looks like I'll be moving next month so there's not much brewing to be done before that anyways. Thanks everyone for hanging in and trying to make this happen

:mug:

Good to know you're still in :)
I hope it's a move for the better, congrats!

When we moved I had a bunch of full carboys in various stages of fermentation, plus a brown ale I had sort of forgotten about. Was fun carrying those to my van and hear them sloshing away while driving.

Just had a nice chat with Derek.. I expect a confirmation email this afternoon from the supplier. If all goes well, we will have grain by next weekend. I did not know Stonebrewers availability for delivery so it will be delivered to me and I will put it on my truck and bring it to the meet point.
Rye is still up in the air until they confirm.

Order went in, as it was. I will cover any shortfalls or fallout. Sorry, today's changes didn't get incorporated.

BTW, this is the last order through this connection.

Good to know you're still in :)
I hope it's a move for the better, congrats!

When we moved I had a bunch of full carboys in various stages of fermentation, plus a brown ale I had sort of forgotten about. Was fun carrying those to my van and hear them sloshing away while driving.

The new house will be perfect! I'll be able to brew next to the pool, gas supplied by huge propane tanks. Won't have anything full to move except one keg and perhaps a few bottles. Selling our current house is taking up every frickin spare minute with cleaning, packing, etc. Will still be working the same place though so no changes for me regarding MD group buys :mug:

Just had a nice chat with Derek.. I expect a confirmation email this afternoon from the supplier. If all goes well, we will have grain by next weekend. I did not know Stonebrewers availability for delivery so it will be delivered to me and I will put it on my truck and bring it to the meet point.
Rye is still up in the air until they confirm.

Order went in, as it was. I will cover any shortfalls or fallout. Sorry, today's changes didn't get incorporated.

BTW, this is the last order through this connection.

Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns.

I'll be happy to take a bag of 2-row from the leftover pile. Even some of the red wheat if necessary.

Are we going to disperse those 5 sacks as follows:
shoshin
- 1x Rahr 2-row
jnr
- 1x Rahr 2-row
- 1x Rahr Pils
IslandLizard
- 1x Rahr 2-row
bucksnort999
- 1x Rahr Red Wheat?

I will definitely take the wheat.
I refunded the split on my DME. I think Eagerbeav will take the DME left over from the split that fell out.

So am I refunding everyone and everyone is paying bucksnort or am I paying Derek? If the latter, I am only needing to refund reddskinnfan, correct?

I will definitely take the wheat.
I refunded the split on my DME. I think Eagerbeav will take the DME left over from the split that fell out.

Just for clarification.
Are you saying you're taking your whole bag of DME, without splits?

Is Eagerbeav the same person as Bigbeavk? And he is taking the leftover 15# of DME from jnr's split?

My money for the 10lbs of DME was refunded. Can someone let me know when you get a chance what is going to be ordered? I'd still like to get in on this if I can. I also have a friend interested in a bag of 2 row if there is any extra unclaimed.

Just for clarification.
Are you saying you're taking your whole bag of DME, without splits?

Is Eagerbeav the same person as Bigbeavk? And he is taking the leftover 15# of DME from jnr's split?

My money for the 10lbs of DME was refunded. Can someone let me know when you get a chance what is going to be ordered? I'd still like to get in on this if I can. I also have a friend interested in a bag of 2 row if there is any extra unclaimed.

That is not clear to me either. But there is 15# of DME on jnr's split available. I guess it's yours now.
[EDIT] I added those 15# to your account, and removed your share in bucksnort's.

There are a couple crystals left for grabs too:
C40 - 10#
Carapils - 15#

Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns.

I'll be happy to take a bag of 2-row from the leftover pile. Even some of the red wheat if necessary.

Are we going to disperse those 5 sacks as follows:
shoshin
- 1x Rahr 2-row
jnr
- 1x Rahr 2-row
- 1x Rahr Pils
IslandLizard
- 1x Rahr 2-row
bucksnort999
- 1x Rahr Red Wheat?

I'm game! I can also take some red wheat (up to 15 lbs) if that helps. (Not sure what to use it in...but I am sure I can find something.) I just want to help close the gap in what we can so we can get some grain and I can brew cheaper!!! :ban:

Latest posts

Back