DC Group Buy #18

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: You may want to read all of this post again as some things have changed.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every ~10-12 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...this is the only way it is given out as our supplier has asked we keep it limited to group participants.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay three weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over a 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications.
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? Please just post as usual in the forum. Payment is due, paid to Stonebrewer via PayPal, WHEN THE BUY closes. So pay attention as I hate chasing folks down.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC; always on a Saturday from 11AM-noon.

* NOTE Recent Change: The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

Could I get:

2x - CRI1002 (Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter)
2x - WEY1010 (Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner)

Thank you!

I have spent a few hours reworking the spreadsheet to overcome some issues I was having and hopefully to streamline things and make them more user friendly, to both you and me. I am still testing the sheets for usability, but plan to use the new format for this buy. You will see only two sheets from your view: the price list and the "your order" sheet. The price sheet has not changed. The "your order" sheet is a one stop shop for what is important to you. It has on the left side, sorted alphabetically by brewer name, the items you have purchased, how many pounds you ordered, and the total price you would owe (if splits you are in close!). To the right of that is a list of all open splits and how many pounds are available for purchase of the open splits. If a split is closed, it will not show up on that list. From an end user perspective, I think this makes the most sense to put this information on a single pane for your review. I hid a few sheets so that only I or one of the admins can get to them. The sheet with email addresses is no longer available to anyone but an admin. A new sheet has been developed and I am testing with dummy data to process all orders and splits. This data then feeds the sheet for your consumption and formats data that I need to order the goods. Please feel free to provide feedback.

Made a mistake on the last buy when cutting and pasting the order sheet which I just realized when organizing the stuff that I still have in my garage from buy #17. I ordered 2 extra sacks of Avengard Pilsen instead of the two sacks of wheat I was supposed to order. Apologies to those who wanted wheat...completely my fault that I ordered the wrong items!!

Anyhow, if anyone needs Avangard Pilsen malt I have three new, unopened sacks available to purchase at the normal group grain price. If no one wants to take it off my hands, I will be brewing a lot of my Bitburger clone! Cheers!

Speaking of my garage, I have grain for several of you still here. Please let me know when you will pick it up! Thanks!!

Sheets updated. Found a bad formula, which is good. Need to get all the bugs out of the new sheets.

@b000111 let me know if you still want all items on the above order now that your other BoPils came in.

Waiting on some splits to test the rest of the sheets.

So has anyone noticed a quality difference between Avangard and Weyermann?

I'm thinking about a sack of Vienna, and there a $10 price difference.

So has anyone noticed a quality difference between Avangard and Weyermann?

I'm thinking about a sack of Vienna, and there a $10 price difference.

I haven't used mine, but before I bought it, I read that Avangard is one of the biggest malsters in Germany and that Wyermann is pretty small but well-known here because they market well outside germany. I also read here on HBT and on the ABA forum that most people were very happy with the quality and even saw jumps in efficiency when using it.

So I came away thinking it was an authentic and high-quality malt.

All of that was in regard to the Pilsner malt, though.

I have used the pale, wheat, and pilsner and I think they are all top notch. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

I still have three sacks of Avengard Pils from the last two buys I am willing to let go if anyone wants them. I have 5 sacks of Pils and I just don't brew enough with it to make all of that turn into beer. Mike said he might want them, but I haven't heard anything so putting this back out there...

I have used the pale, wheat, and pilsner and I think they are all top notch. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

I still have three sacks of Avengard Pils from the last two buys I am willing to let go if anyone wants them. I have 5 sacks of Pils and I just don't brew enough with it to make all of that turn into beer. Mike said he might want them, but I haven't heard anything so putting this back out there...

I'll take 1 sack of Avengard Pils from you.

PM incoming...

I would like to place an order, please.

Full sacks of

1862C Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb
CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

Starting Splits

BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb - I would like 15 lbs
3205D Flaked Oats 50 lb - I would like 10 lbs

I would like to take part of a couple of splits:

BRI1035 Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb - I would like 10 lbs
3205D Flaked Oats 50 lb - I would like 10 lbs

And I'll start a split...though likely regret it when it comes time to divide:

3440C Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb - I will start with 10lbs

Thanks.

1X 1850C Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen

Open Splits

3205D Flaked Oats 50 lb - I'll take 10#

New Splits
CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25#
1866C Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 25#

1856C Avangard Malz Premium Light Munich 10#
1862C Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 10#
BRI1055 Briess Victory 10#
BRI1041 Briess Caramel 20L 10#
BRI1036 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 10#
BRI1037 Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 10#

1937C Briess Chocolate Malt 5#
CRI1051 Crisp Brown 25 kg 5#

Hopefully some of these will fill up. I'm happy to switch brands if that makes a difference to anyone thinking of jumping in.

New Splits
CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25#
1866C Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 25#

1856C Avangard Malz Premium Light Munich 10#
1862C Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 10#
BRI1055 Briess Victory 10#
BRI1041 Briess Caramel 20L 10#
BRI1036 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 10#
BRI1037 Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L 10#

1937C Briess Chocolate Malt 5#
CRI1051 Crisp Brown 25 kg 5#

Put me down for:

25# of CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter
10# of BRI1041 Briess Caramel 20L
10# of BRI1036 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L

I'll probably need more by the time we do this but that will do for now.

Put me down for

10# - 1856C Avangard Malz Premium Light Munich
10# - 1862C Avangard Malz Premium Vienna
10# - 1937C Briess Chocolate Malt

Hey Guys - been out of action for a while but need to do some catch up brewing - please add the following for me:
1 - 55lb sack of Crisp Maris Otter
I'd also like to start the following two splits:
50 lbs Rice Hulls - I will take 30 lbs
50 lbs PBW - I will take 15 lbs
Come on all and gobble up the rest of these splits!
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! Ed

Any chance of getting a bulk price on Starsan or some sort of sanitizer?

Count me in for the following splits:
5# BRI1037 Briess 2-Row Caramel 80L
5# CRI1051 Crisp Brown 25 kg
10# 1866C Avangard Malz Premium Wheat
5# 3205D Flaked Oats

Who is updating the spreadsheet these days? It's 10+ days behind. Hard to track the splits progress. Don't mean to complain....

Any chance of getting a bulk price on Starsan or some sort of sanitizer?
it's not in our price sheet, so stonebrewer would need to check with the supplier... i suspect chances are low, tho.

however: how much SS do you go through?!? i bought a large bottle (32 oz?) 4 years ago, and i haven't gone through it yet.

Who is updating the spreadsheet these days? It's 10+ days behind. Hard to track the splits progress. Don't mean to complain....
it's still stonebrewer. he's been sick lately, then overworked, then sick again, and the latest rumor is that he is being vetted by the Trump transition team for Secretary of Malting so give him a freakin' break already would ya?!? seriously tho, he is slowly emerging from his cocoon. he'll be taking care of the spreadsheet as soon as his TS/SCI security clearance comes through.

Hey - it's a wonderful public service that Tony performs running the group buy! Not knocking anybody - also happy to pitch in and help

5lbs of PBW
5lbs of rice hulls
5lbs of crystal 20l if one is open
A sack of mars otter

Sorry for being MIA lately...will update the sheets tomorrow. We are going to switch over to a web based system starting with the next buy that is all automated, so you won't have to wait for someone to post what is available! Stay tuned for details in the coming weeks...

Latest posts

Back