DC area visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC? or DC Metro area?

DCA or IAD?

if Dulles, there are 2 dozen or so breweries out here in Loudoun County. not all great, but most of them good. there's some good ones popping up in Fairfax County, they're behind the times a little. there's 2 Dogfish Head Alehouses.

DC there are more than a few good breweries and pubs. Catch a Nats' game, they'll have local on tap there. DC Brau is a good one, near the site of the Battle of Bladensburg, where the British forces invaded the District and burned the White House

MD is a craft beer wasteland, nothing there unless you get to Frederick which has Flying Dog, Monocacy and Smoketown.

but if you're in Frederick, you might as well come to Loudoun

MD is a craft beer wasteland, nothing there unless you get to Frederick which has Flying Dog, Monocacy and Smoketown.

Actually, that's not entirely true... Baltimore has some really good breweries and brew pubs: Brewer's Art, Union Craft (best in B'more in my opinion), Stillwater Artisanal (Moves around, but always found at Of Love and Regret), Jailbreak (Columbia), and Peabody Heights to name a few.

Check out Blue Jacket in DC near the stadium where the Nationals play. Another vote for DC Brau, but I have yet to make it there myself.

Jailbreak is a good one in Columbia, MD. Also Flying Dog in Frederick, MD.

Looks like the guys have it pretty well buttoned up...but in DC I would highly recommend getting to Right Proper Brewing, they do some cool stuff with wine barrels.

And Port City in Alexandria has some solid beers.

DC? or DC Metro area?

DCA or IAD?

if Dulles, there are 2 dozen or so breweries out here in Loudoun County. not all great, but most of them good. there's some good ones popping up in Fairfax County, they're behind the times a little. there's 2 Dogfish Head Alehouses.

DC there are more than a few good breweries and pubs. Catch a Nats' game, they'll have local on tap there. DC Brau is a good one, near the site of the Battle of Bladensburg, where the British forces invaded the District and burned the White House

but if you're in Frederick, you might as well come to Loudoun

Simply not true. While MD might have fewer than VA, many of the VA newer breweries suck.

My short list (no particular order)

Port City in Alexandria VA
Mad Fox in Falls Church VA
Caboose in Vienna VA
Olivers/Pratt Street Ale House in Baltimore MD
Bluejacket in DC
Right Proper in DC
Hellbender in DC
Forge in Lorton VA
Old Ox in Ashburn VA
Monocacy in Frederick MD
Franklins in Hyattsville MD
Union in Baltimore MD

My super-short list of IMHO must-hits are Port City, Mad Fox, and Olivers/Pratt St.

There's some other stuff that's decent that's much further out there.

Simply not true. While MD might have fewer than VA, many of the VA newer breweries suck.

My short list (no particular order)

Port City in Alexandria VA
Mad Fox in Falls Church VA
Caboose in Vienna VA
Olivers/Pratt Street Ale House in Baltimore MD
Bluejacket in DC
Right Proper in DC
Hellbender in DC
Forge in Lorton VA
Old Ox in Ashburn VA
Monocacy in Frederick MD
Franklins in Hyattsville MD
Union in Baltimore MD

My super-short list of IMHO must-hits are Port City, Mad Fox, and Olivers/Pratt St.

There's some other stuff that's decent that's much further out there.

You would chose Forge over Fair Winds?

egads... Baltimore? I get the skeeves just driving PAST Baltimore

but ok, MD is a craft beer wasteland with oases in Baltimore and Frederick with Monkey and PG counties being very small watering holes

FUNNY! this yelp list says 1/2 the top ten breweries in Montgomery County are in Virginia

OH! forgot Growlers in Gaithersburg. they have some tasty brews

I would recommend Ocelot about by Dulles, if you're out there, for some amazing IPAs and barrel aged stuff. Was really blown away when I went there a few weeks ago and think they could give the breweries in DC a run for their money for sure.

In DC, my favorite is Atlas, then DC Brau, then 3 Stars. I go to Port City more frequently than any other brewery around but I am on the VA side and going there is just too easy and they have some great beers. There is one new brewery in Arlington, New District, but I wouldn't recommend them yet for someone here for the just the weekend. They have potential though.

Thanks guys. I'll take all these in consideration. I love the east coast beer scene so I'm sure this list will help.

Cheers!

If you're looking for a good beer bar with a large selection in DC try Churchkey:

http://churchkeydc.com/

I'd second this. If you're looking for something particularly hard to get, this is the place you're most likely to find it.

However, be prepared to open up your wallet. The place isn't cheap, especially for more obscure stuff. The draft list is large and generally on the pricey side of reasonable. However you can easily break the bank venturing into the extensive bottle list (let alone cellar reserve list in the back).

Also, it's way, way WAY out there, but if you happen to head eastward over to the MD/DE beaches, you should hit up Burley Oak just outside of Ocean City.

If you're in the mood for whiskey (or whisky), Jack Rose is the place to find anything and everything. You can really blow some coin there.

By the way, Frederick also has Olde Mother, the owner's father is a regular on HBT. They have some excellent brews. Also, the newest brewer at Barley and Hops took their beers from merely drinkable to very good. I've been really impressed with them lately. There's also 3 distilleries: Dragon, McClintock, and Tenth Ward.

Back