DC Area Group Buy #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We would be closing buys Friday at midnight.

Sorry, those 3 splits are not current. Are you looking on the right sheet, buy #9?

Hmm, I thought I was, but I must have clicked the wrong one. I'll go look again to see what's actually there. I'll find something to get onto.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I may be willing to take the WHOLE 50lb bag of rice hulls to close out the split (and have a long time supply), but I wonder about storage. It comes in paper cartons, right? I was thinking of just putting it into buckets with lids for long term. Thoughts anyone?

Ok, I have the right link now. Here are the splits I will take:

15# chateau Munich light
5# crisp pale chocolate
5# weyermann caraaroma

That closes out the Munich and held on two more.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All: Unfortunately, Sept 6th doesn't work for me. We are hosting an exchange student this school year and have to be in York, PA for an event that day. Anyone from Frederick going down that could pick up my grain? I've got one full sack and a couple of small splits. Thx, Ed

Open splits to fill by Friday Midnight (8/22) [Updated]:

• Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L .......... 30#
  • Crisp Brown ................................ 25#
  • Weyermann Chocolate Wheat ...... 15#
  • Crisp Pale Chocolate .................... 20#
  • Rice Hulls .................................... 20#

Please look and see if you can take some or a little more of these. 16 shares are depending on these being filled.
We don't want to stick PikeVilleBrew with 40# of rice hulls either.

I may be willing to take the WHOLE 50lb bag of rice hulls to close out the split (and have a long time supply), but I wonder about storage. It comes in paper cartons, right? I was thinking of just putting it into buckets with lids for long term. Thoughts anyone?

As long as you can keep them bone dry they should be fine for years. But any moisture infiltration will turn them musty or worse.

They come in a kraft paper bale, highly compressed into a 4 cu ft solid brick.

I would store the brick in a large super heavy duty plastic bag in a very dry place where rodents can't get to, and just chip off what I need. But that can be a lifetime of hulls, unless you brew rye or wheat every week for a year, or two.

Come on someone else needs rice hulls. Take some.

I'll take 5# of the rice hulls and the last 5# of the CaraAroma.

Does one 5-gallon bucket hold 5# of rice hulls?

I'll take 5# of the rice hulls and the last 5# of the CaraAroma.

Does one 5-gallon bucket hold 5# of rice hulls?

Added, thank you!
CaraAroma is now filled.

You can easily put 10# of hulls in a 5 gallon bucket. Just press it down.

Note:
I've also upped my own amounts of Chocolate Wheat and Pale Chocolate with 5# each.
Overview post above is being updated to reflect current open splits and amounts.

5 more splits (115#) to go. We can make it!

I propose the following splits:

Muntons Pale Pearl 25 kg (55 lb) - 20# to me
Weyermann® Rye Malt 25 Kg (55 Lb.) - 15# to me
Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) - 15# to me

I am cool with these going now, or later, so no rush (although I feel some might hop on the Pearl and Rye).

-Mike

I propose the following splits:

Muntons Pale Pearl 25 kg (55 lb) - 20# to me
Weyermann® Rye Malt 25 Kg (55 Lb.) - 15# to me
Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) - 15# to me

I am cool with these going now, or later, so no rush (although I feel some might hop on the Pearl and Rye).

-Mike

Is that 100% Pearl or their "Whole Pale / Pearl Blend"?

I'm also surprised to see all their malt extracts, except for Extra Light, only to be used up to 50% max. I guess that's for commercial craft breweries.

Although late in the game, I don't mind adding those 3 to the list so everyone can easily see what's available for splits. These threads are not the best form for an overview, particularly those of you on <ugh> tablets.

I'll take
10# Weyermann® Rye Malt 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Added.

Open splits to fill by Friday Midnight (8/22) [Updated]:

The old splits:
  • Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L .......... 30#
  • Rice Hulls .................................... 20#

Mike's new splits:
  • Muntons Pale Pearl ....................... 35#
  • Weyermann Rye Malt .................... 30#
  • Château Biscuit ............................ 40#

Please look and see if you can take some or perhaps a little more of these. Many shares (>16) depend on these being filled.
We don't want to stick PikeVilleBrew with 40# of rice hulls either.

I'll get in on some of these splits. Let me get 15# of pearl, 5# C120, and 5# rice hulls. Maybe more before Friday, we'll see.

Added, thank you!
Every bit helps to get these rounded up.

Current open splits:
Need to fill by Friday Midnight (8/22) [Updated]:

The old splits:
  • Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L .......... 25#
  • Rice Hulls .................................... 15#

Mike's new splits:
  • Muntons Pale Pearl ....................... 20#

Please look and see if you can take some of these or perhaps a little more if you already did. Many shares (>16) depend on these being filled.
We don't want to stick PikeVilleBrew with 35# of rice hulls either.

All: Unfortunately, Sept 6th doesn't work for me. We are hosting an exchange student this school year and have to be in York, PA for an event that day. Anyone from Frederick going down that could pick up my grain? I've got one full sack and a couple of small splits. Thx, Ed

ill be headed to the fairgrounds the next day... so if its not a lot, i can cart it up there....

Is that 100% Pearl or their "Whole Pale / Pearl Blend"?

I'm also surprised to see all their malt extracts, except for Extra Light, only to be used up to 50% max. I guess that's for commercial craft breweries.

Although late in the game, I don't mind adding those 3 to the list so everyone can easily see what's available for splits. These threads are not the best form for an overview, particularly those of you on <ugh> tablets.

Blend, but that's fine with me.

ill be headed to the fairgrounds the next day... so if its not a lot, i can cart it up there....

Stefan: That would be great if you could do that. I am judging for the Frederick Fair HB comp too and will be there as well on Sunday. I have 1 sack of 2 row and a couple of small splits. Can you handle that? Ed

Stefan: That would be great if you could do that. I am judging for the Frederick Fair HB comp too and will be there as well on Sunday. I have 1 sack of 2 row and a couple of small splits. Can you handle that? Ed

sure thing. i can go up to about 5 bags before the mustang is FULL

I don't want to be ringing any alarm bells, but it looks stonebrewer is out of town until Monday 8/25 and without internet.

I guess we can leave the Group Buy open till he returns as nothing is going to happen to the order anyway. That gives us a few more days to round up extra grains and close some splits.

BUT, be prepared to pay very soon after he returns so we can get the order in.
I've sent a heads-up in a mass email, explaining the process and what's expected from the buyers.

Of the following buyers I'm looking for your email address. Please pm them to me ASAP so I have means to contact you and send you the email on payments, etc.

email addies needed, please pm to me ASAP:
German_HB_Baltimore ==> email address received
j1n
jamisonia ==> email address received
joshindc
Likwid ==> email address received
splyn ==> email address received
The_General ==> email address received
theecrust

Thanks!

Frits: Put me down for 5 lbs of the Chocolate Wheat to help close that split. Also, Stefin will be picking up my grain on the 6th, as I'll be out of town. I'll miss seeing you guys! Ed

I'll take the remaining 20# of the Munton's Pearl blend to close the split. I'll need to take it home in the bottom of the sack it comes in, though. I think I'm out of buckets for the time being.

I am going to jump in and grab the rest of the rice hulls, close the split and have my multi-year supply. I have the space and it's not problem!

Wow, you're committed! All 35# for you.

Frits: Put me down for 5 lbs of the Chocolate Wheat to help close that split. Also, Stefin will be picking up my grain on the 6th, as I'll be out of town. I'll miss seeing you guys! Ed

Added. Thanks, Ed. They're really good in Brown Porters and other delicate dark beers.
I made a note that Stefin will pick up for you.

Where am I on my splits (the ones allocated to me)? Can't access the spreadsheet right now.

You have a 5# share in that Chocolate Wheat split that still has 10# for grabs. Aside of the 2 new splits you opened a couple days ago.

I'll take the remaining 20# of the Munton's Pearl blend to close the split. I'll need to take it home in the bottom of the sack it comes in, though. I think I'm out of buckets for the time being.

Added. Pearl blend is done!

Current open splits:
Due to stonebrewer being out of town, we get 2 more days. These now need to fill by Sunday Midnight (8/24) [Updated]:

The old splits:
  • Weyermann Chocolate Wheat ...... 10#

Mike's new splits:

Please look and see if you can take some of these or perhaps a little more if you already did. Many shares (>16) depend on these being filled.

Where am I on my splits (the ones allocated to me)? Can't access the spreadsheet right now.

Was able to get access, finally.

Please add:

10# Weyermann - Chocolate Wheat

I really wish I could have gotten on the Caramel 40L. I am in desperate need of that stuff...

Was able to get access, finally.

Please add:

10# Weyermann - Chocolate Wheat

I really wish I could have gotten on the Caramel 40L. I am in desperate need of that stuff...

Added 10 more pound of Choc. Wheat for you. Your total is 15#.
Chocolate Wheat is now closed. Yippee!

How much C40 are you looking for? Maybe there are others who want some? I assume we now have until Sunday midnight to close anything out.

I would take 10#, if there was one to close on this round. Otherwise, I would just spend $20 to get it from LHBS.

If the order is placed Sunday, are we still expecting September 6th pickup at 3 Stars?

I hope so.
Tony places the orders with 3 Stars and his email auto response says unavailable until 8/25. Not much we can do.

As long as he can place the order by Tuesday or even Wednesday we should be OK. The problem is the week of the pickup is shortened by Labor Day and 4 days is not enough to get delivery. We've been there once.

Let's all keep those fingers crossed.

Current open splits:
Due to stonebrewer being out of town, we get 2 more days. These now need to fill by Sunday Midnight (8/24) [Updated]:

The old splits:

Mike's new splits:
  • Briess C40 ................................... 40#

I would take 10#, if there was one to close on this round. Otherwise, I would just spend $20 to get it from LHBS.

Hey Mike, I have (according to my BeerSmith inventory) 12+ pounds of C40. If you want I can share 5# with you as I don't see myself using a lot anytime soon. Let me know if that works for you or if you need 10#! May I ask what you use C40 in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back