DC Area Group Buy #10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I'll take 5# of the de husked Carafa III.

Is three days from now the cut of for whole sacks of grain as well as splits?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Alright I'll take 5# of the de husked Carafa III.

Is three days from now the cut of for whole sacks of grain as well as splits

Added 5# of DH Carafa III.

Yes, Friday @ midnight all payments MUST BE IN, at the latest.
- Whole sack paid to Tony.
- All splits paid directly to me.

Just to re-cap:

ALL payments MUST BE IN Friday 11/7 @midnight, at the latest.

• Whole sack orders are paid to Tony.
    Your total due is on the Order Tab

• All Splits are paid directly to me.
    Your total due is on line 57 and below (Splits Tab)

==> Please try to fill the last 3 splits, we're almost there, 60# left. <==

Sent mine last night. All my splits are closed. :)

Yes, thank you!

A few have paid already, and I guess we're waiting on those 3 splits to close.

I'm willing to take 5# of DH Carafa III to help with the cause, but that still leaves another 20# to be distributed.

Even in 2 or 3 pound portions we can divide it up among us. Same for the other 2 splits, C40 and Chocolate.

Any other takers? Check your bins... er... buckets.

i can go to 20 lbs of chocolate i guess....I would order some caraffa, but 1 lb lasted me 5 years :)

We had 2 chocolate splits already, the past year, IIRC, so many of us may still be pretty stocked up.

I hear you on the Carafa. Unless you brew a lot of very dark beers you don't use much of it. 5# will last me many years. I still have some Carafa I left too, which is a little easier to incorporate.

I've upped you to 20# of Chocolate, 5 pounds left to go. Thanks!

Plus 20# of Carafa III still for grabs.

We had 2 chocolate splits already, the past year, IIRC, so many of us may still be pretty stocked up.

I hear you on the Carafa. Unless you brew a lot of very dark beers you don't use much of it. 5# will last me many years. I still have some Carafa I left too, which is a little easier to incorporate.

I can take the 5 lbs of Chocolate. I'll probably end up brewing a couple of stouts and porters between now and March.

5 lbs is a little much for me, but it's about the same cost as 2 lbs from other sources and there is no shipping, so why not?

I can take the 5 lbs of Chocolate. I'll probably end up brewing a couple of stouts and porters between now and March.

5 lbs is a little much for me, but it's about the same cost as 2 lbs from other sources and there is no shipping, so why not?

my thoughts exactly!

Absolutely!
I'm paying pretty much $2.50 a pound for any specialty grain at my LHBS. So yes, it's on sale now, right here.

Added the last 5# of Chocolate for you.

20# of DH Carafa III left...

Am I still bringing a better bottle with me for hop plant trades? I just realized I have a second better bottle that I won't be using too, if it will get me more hops or other goodies. :)

@reddskinnfan - if you're looking for hop plants, i have a santiam that i'll be getting rid of. santiam is the "north american version" of tettnang. it's a fourth year plant so it's huge, and plenty to go around if anyone else wants any. i was going to dig it up in early spring and distribute it then but if you need to plant now i can bring it, or a part of it, to the grain buy.

are you looking for dried homegrown hops? i probably have extra in the freezer and i'm not sure that i'll get around to using them all this year.

i need to take stock of my better bottle situation, but i might not need any more. would trade for beer, tho :mug:

No dried hops. Not into Santiam, either. I use 15 gallon Sanke kegs with the spear removed for fermenting beer.

I use 5 and 7.25 gallon Sanke kegs for cider and wine.

The Sanke kegs keep all light and oxygen out and an orange carboy cap is all you need (will fit right on top if you warm it up) with a racking cane and blow off tube. I have 4 of each size. They also are easier to regulate with temps too.

No need for Better Bottles anymore.

:)

So lots of people have started paying me...will update the sheets accordingly this weekend...please remember to add your HBT moniker to the comments, especially if you are new!!!

I've been in Oklahoma the entire week and just got back home, so I am catching up. Did get to try BOMB! for the first time as well as a number of other Prairie beers...they make solid brew in Tulsa!

==> One day left and we still have 20# to go on the dehusked Carafa III. <==

I'll be out most of Saturday, so get those split payments in Friday (tomorrow) by midnight.

Thanks!​

A few days ago there was a request for a (Crisp?) Maris Otter 2-way split. Not sure if anyone wants in on that, but we need to know soon:

[...] Also anyone willing to do half a bag of Marris Otter?

While we're at it, I'll add for myself:

1x Rahr Red Wheat - RAH1009
1x Rahr Pale Ale - RAH1004

I will update the sheet tonight with who has paid me. Please get those payments in so as to not delay the process or more likely get your request dropped from the order!

I will check tonight on the MO. If I am out, I will take the half sack.

Cheers!

Sorry to be OT but if anyone wants hops id be more than willing to trade or sell some organic potted rhizomes. I have; centennial, cascade, santian, and magnum. I could use some yeast strains, and brew buckets since i ditched using glass (see "dangers of glass carboys"). Trade would be at the next group buy.

Bigbeavk, Claphamsa, and IslandLizard let me know if you want any free rhizomes.

EMYERS,

I have a second better bottle for you if you can bring me more of the Cascade, Centennial and Magnum hop plants. Are they already sprouting in pots or are they rhizomes?

Ok, one is yours

You got one.

Hydro dates on the three are 2012, 2012, and 2013. Let me know if you want the last one.

I'm going to see if i can exchange the steel one for an aluminum one at Roberts Oxygen on Monday. If i cant then i guess the last one to show up to the GB gets the steel one.

If any of the buyers fall through, I'll take a tank.

I already have one 20# which has lasted me through 12 cornies and two 15 gal Sanke kegs and is still kicking strong. A second, however, wouldn't hurt.

If any of the buyers fall through, I'll take a tank.

I already have one 20# which has lasted me through 12 cornies and two 15 gal Sanke kegs and is still kicking strong. A second, however, wouldn't hurt.

I did have one back out but i decided to keep the tank as a spare. already exchanged it for a full tank. the two i have left are the 2 aluminum ones. If Frits or the other person (forgot who ill have to look it up) backs out then its yours.

By the way, put me down for 5# of the Carafa III. I could use it for some Porters, a Doppelbock and a Cascadian IPA I have been considering.

I did have one back out but i decided to keep the tank as a spare. already exchanged it for a full tank. the two i have left are the 2 aluminum ones. If Frits or the other person (forgot who ill have to look it up) backs out then its yours.

Sven is the other person, right?

No Jin, I won't back out of the tank, I can really use a 2nd one, been dragging that tank up and down each time I keg or rack. And Aluminum makes it even more perfect. That's a great score, man!

I had mine filled yesterday and it ran me $27.50 this time for 20# (paid $21 before). It's the only place in my "area" that fills, unless I drive out to Laurel Bottled Gas and deal with the soup nazi. :D

But I found out when I was waiting, they do Hydro testing right in the shop, and mine is due for that on the next refill. $23.50 for the procedure, that's pretty decent. Since my bottle looks brand new, I may just do that.

Now that hydro test won't be until April or May or so. 20# lasts a long time... if there are no leaks. I had an MFL from the manifold that wasn't tight enough and loosened up, killing a lot of it. So gents... Double check all your couplings before you turn your back and start drinking beer.

I keep looking for deals on CL we can benefit from (like you finding 4 CO2 bottles) but the offerings are damn sparse. One of my Prog friends said he's getting out of brewing, but he's still too attached to his equipment, which includes a lot of nice stuff. I'll work on him this weekend. :tank:

By the way, put me down for 5# of the Carafa III. I could use it for some Porters, a Doppelbock and a Cascadian IPA I have been considering.

I've put you on for 5# of that Carafa III.

How are we going to distribute that leftover 15# by tonight? Takers are slow coming. 2 big beer roasters er... brewers I know, who can use it, haven't been on this list for months or longer.

How would it be steeped in some coffee? Gotta try that.

Caraffa is good for Black IPAs, just stir it in for the last 15 mins of the mash, or cold steep it and add it in. I could maybe use some of it, but not 15#, and since I'm not buying anything else on this round I'm not interested in driving down there for just that. If someone wants to grab a few extra pounds to help close the bag, I'll buy it from you on the next round.

How are we going to distribute that leftover 15# by tonight? Takers are slow coming. 2 big beer roasters er... brewers I know, and who can use it, haven't been on this list for months or longer.

Seriously, the Carafa III is an awesome grain for those dark beers that you want to have coffee/chocolate flavor and color without the astringency (large additions).

Also works great for beers that need dark color without heavy flavor contributions (small additions).

Come on guys, get ya some! Grab 5# now and throw some in a beer or three. We probably won't see this grain on the buy again for a LONG while.

Sven is the other person, right?

No Jin, I won't back out of the tank, I can really use a 2nd one, been dragging that tank up and down each time I keg or rack. And Aluminum makes it even more perfect. That's a great score, man!

I had mine filled yesterday and it ran me $27.50 this time for 20# (paid $21 before). It's the only place in my "area" that fills, unless I drive out to Laurel Bottled Gas and deal with the soup nazi. :D

But I found out when I was waiting, they do Hydro testing right in the shop, and mine is due for that on the next refill. $23.50 for the procedure, that's pretty decent. Since my bottle looks brand new, I may just do that.

Now that hydro test won't be until April or May or so. 20# lasts a long time... if there are no leaks. I had an MFL from the manifold that wasn't tight enough and loosened up, killing a lot of it. So gents... Double check all your couplings before you turn your back and start drinking beer.

I keep looking for deals on CL we can benefit from (like you finding 4 CO2 bottles) but the offerings are damn sparse. One of my Prog friends said he's getting out of brewing, but he's still too attached to his equipment, which includes a lot of nice stuff. I'll work on him this weekend. :tank:

I checked a couple pages back and it was Funnycreature that reserved the other tank. I found a better deal on tanks a few weeks before i found this one but someone swooped in and grabbed them before me. It was 4x 20lb tanks for $20 each. Thats why when i saw the 35$ each deal i went and got them right away.

Seriously, the Carafa III is an awesome grain for those dark beers that you want to have coffee/chocolate flavor and color without the astringency (large additions).

Also works great for beers that need dark color without heavy flavor contributions (small additions).

Come on guys, get ya some! Grab 5# now and throw some in a beer or three. We probably won't see this grain on the buy again for a LONG while.

How are we going to distribute that leftover 15# by tonight? Takers are slow coming. 2 big beer roasters er... brewers I know, and who can use it, haven't been on this list for months or longer.

In general I'd be interested but I still have 10+ lbs of Chocolate malt that I will use in my porter... I can commit to 5lbs if that helps to change things up a bit.

I checked a couple pages back and it was Funnycreature that reserved the other tank. I found a better deal on tanks a few weeks before i found this one but someone swooped in and grabbed them before me. It was 4x 20lb tanks for $20 each. Thats why when i saw the 35$ each deal i went and got them right away.

Yeah, that's me! Can I PayPal you the $35 so reddskinnfan can pick up the tank for me?

In general I'd be interested but I still have 10+ lbs of Chocolate malt that I will use in my porter... I can commit to 5lbs if that helps to change things up a bit.

Yeah, that's me! Can I PayPal you the $35 so reddskinnfan can pick up the tank for me?

Yup, that works. I'll PM you me paypal account.

Back