Daytime IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarous

Reaction score
Anyone try the new Daytime IPA from Lagunitas? From what I've heard it's essentially a low gravity session IPA? Live to hear some opinions on it..

Haven't seen that yet will have to look for it lagunitas is definitely one of my favorite brewerys never had a bad beer

I have not seen that pw either but I know founders has the all day ipa that's great

Yeah they just released it a few weeks ago but I'm not sure how much it's being distributed. I haven't seen it in stores either, but last time I was at their tab room they were selling it but it's in 12 oz bottles only. I'll definitely have to give it a try and report back!

we have been distributing it here in Oregon for a week or so. tried one today it is good. dont think I would drink very many though

I picked up a six pack a few days ago (Bay Area). I have to say, it was really quite horrible. I am a huge fan of Lagunitas. Almost all of their beers are tremendous. So I had high hopes.

It has that classic Lagunitas aroma. That's about the end of the goodness. It has the color and head of coors. It's completely lacking in body. One has to search deeply to get any hoppy flavor. It just wasn't any good at all.

I know that a low gravity IPA is the chupacabre of beers, but if someone like Lagunitas puts it out I would expect that it would deliver on the promise. I don't expect it to taste like Maximus, but I also don't expect it to taste like a Bud/Miller/Coors interpretation of IPA.

I hope other breweries try to make a low gravity IPA, this is a category that I think could do tremendously well if someone could get it right.

I m drinking one now...it's awesome for a brewday. A little lacking in body but totally hoppy

I guess I don't understand why some people put down these lighter beers. I've had several Daytime IPA's and I think it's an awesome beer. It's a great introduction to IPA's, as well.

Light colored. Fluffy head. Smooth drinking. Medium bitter and hop aroma galore!

I guess I don't drink beer to get drunk so a lower ABV is nice in an IPA. If I wanted to get drunk, I'd be one of those guys buying the 24 pack of Bud for $15.00. Maybe I'm a light-weight, but I drink a pint of 9% ABV "anything" and I need to slow down. Why not have a couple different, quality, flavorful, lower ABV beers instead of just one!

Just my opinion, but I like this stuff.

I guess I don't understand why some people put down these lighter beers. I've had several Daytime IPA's and I think it's an awesome beer. It's a great introduction to IPA's, as well.

Light colored. Fluffy head. Smooth drinking. Medium bitter and hop aroma galore!

I guess I don't drink beer to get drunk so a lower ABV is nice in an IPA.

Pretty big leap there to think that people are drinking IPA to get drunk...

The issue I have with the 'daytime IPA' is that it implies a low alcohol IPA. Great! Awesome! I've been trying to brew something like this for quite a while with mixed results. I'd like to be able to throw back 3-4 in an afternoon and not feel like I was donkey punched. Unfortunately, the beer only lives up to the promise of low alcohol. Other than the aroma, it has very little in common with the classic definition of an IPA. And nothing in common with the high standards of Lagunitas, one of my favorite breweries.

It's a pale ale. And not as good of a pale ale as what I assume is many people's gateway to hoppy beer, Sierra Nevada which comes in at just a touch over 5%.

Perhaps, I didn't explain as well as I could have. Everyone has different preferences and taste. Lagunitas (generally) makes full bodied, hoppy beers.

Daytime IPA is a little out of character for them because it's a light bodied pale ale with a huge hop aroma but much less bitterness than what we're used to. It's my opinion that Sierra Nevada's Torpedo is one of the best commercial IPA's out there. However, comparing Daytime IPA and Torpedo is like tangerines and oranges. They are two very different beers; different IPA's even. Two different beers (cousins?) attempting to accomplish different things.

Before this thread is hijacked, it's my opinion Lagunitas Daytime IPA is a wonderful, light bodied IPA. I would definitely recommend it to the shy IPA drinker. The hardcore, American IPA lover will find it lacking.

Back