day after brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
Brewed a Bluemoon clone yesterday, everything went fine, I used White lab 400 yeast ( I made a starter 1.5 day ahead of time). The instruction say fermentation temp 64 to 72F. So i put the primary in my guest room which is about 70F. Checked this morning and it's fermenting really good but, I checked the temp sticker on the side of my carboy and it read 74F. It's about 62F in my basement, should I move it there asap? Thx in advance.

Maybe put it in a swamp cooler for a couple days. That yeast can be very aggressive and very low floccing so you may need a blow off tube.

Yeah, that's what I would do. The first few days generate a bit of heat. Usually, it's best to start a ferment off in the lower range and gradually bring the temp up. Give it a 3-5 day time out in the cellar and then bring it back up to finish up in the warmer guest room.

+1 on the basement. With most ale yeast, if you pitch around 60*F and put it in your 62*F basement, you'll be in good shape. After the first 4-5 days, bring it to the warmer upstairs to finish.

You need that in the basement and you might still need a swamp cooler to control it now that fermentation has started. The yeast can be hard to bring under control once started as they keep adding heat to the fermenter even as you try to cool it.

Yep, need blow off tube! went grocery shopping and when I got back, the airlock is full of stuff...

Just to make sure I did it right, removed the dirty airlock, shoved a sanitized tube in the bung hoe, stuffed the other end of the tube in a sanitized water pitcher half full of water.... sound right? Thx in advance

Just to make sure I did it right, removed the dirty airlock, shoved a sanitized tube in the bung hoe, stuffed the other end of the tube in a sanitized water pitcher half full of water.... sound right? Thx in advance

That would be better if it were a pitcher half full of StarSan.

can fix that real quick!

Edit: fixed, first time I use a starter/stir plate and let me tell you that sumbitch is going at it like there's no tomorrow:D

Latest posts

Back