Darn Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Not much of a post, just wanted to vent a little. I have three kegs that I use, how is it that the two I'm trying to use are both messed up? I've diagnosed both problems but not before going through an entire tank of co2 overnight trying to carb in one keg, then I take a different keg to a buddy's wedding, notice a drop in pressure thought it was because the temp change lowered the pressure, nope a poppet is bad...ugh...wtf beer gods!?! Also because I have no good lhbs I have to wait for parts to fix. Sorry for the angry rant but needed to get it off my chest. Anyway, for those of you who can have a nice properly carbed pint!

I ran a whole 20# c02 tank empty recently because I didn't have a worm clamp on tight enough. It was the kind of clamp with a turn handle on it. It was cheap and didn't get tight enough. Don't classify it as a bad poppet, I can get new O rings for mine and keg lube helps. It just depends on what type of fittings you have. Use keg lube on the packings and check for leaks after you hook up the c02.

Don't tell Al Gore, but I'm partially to blame for global warming with all the CO2 losses I've had over the years. Holy hell, I hate it when I lose a tank of gas to a [fill in the blank, I've had them all].

Though, when you discover 5g of beer in the bottom of your keezer due to a liquid leak, well, that's when you realize that CO2 isn't a big deal.

Darn kegs.

Not much of a post, just wanted to vent a little. I have three kegs that I use, how is it that the two I'm trying to use are both messed up? I've diagnosed both problems but not before going through an entire tank of co2 overnight trying to carb in one keg, then I take a different keg to a buddy's wedding, notice a drop in pressure thought it was because the temp change lowered the pressure, nope a poppet is bad...ugh...wtf beer gods!?! Also because I have no good lhbs I have to wait for parts to fix. Sorry for the angry rant but needed to get it off my chest. Anyway, for those of you who can have a nice properly carbed pint!

you should always test the kegs for leaks.
Pressurize them, disconnect. spray with starsan (or soap solution that bubbles nicely). wait a few days. see if it holds pressure. Keep checking while connected too. I often disconnect the CO2 tank from the kegs and see how quickly the pressure drops (if at all). Always assume there is always a leak.

also - the way to properly seal the keg is to connect CO2 into the keg while dangling the lid at roughly closed position, and let it seat itself in the best position. Then tighten the clamp and close it up.

Finally - keg lube (aka vaseline).

Though, when you discover 5g of beer in the bottom of your keezer due to a liquid leak, well, that's when you realize that CO2 isn't a big deal.

Darn kegs.

That's very true and good way to put it into perspective. I am glad my beer is flat and I'm outta co2 rather than beer lost.

Back