Dark Strong Bitter Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KozHops

Reaction score
I'm going to put myself out there on this one. I have some hops and grains in the basement from previous recipes that need to be used up (expiring, plus the wife can see I need to make another trip to the LHBS). Let me know what you think...I have been having some trouble with balancing hops in my beer so any imput is appreciated. Hoping to come out with a dark, malty, hoppy beer here.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04
Yeast Starter: Rehydrate
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 46
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 21
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days @ 63 Degrees
Tasting Notes: n/a

Amount Item
9.00 lb Pale Malt, UK
0.50 oz Crystal Malt - 60L
0.50 oz Special B Malt
0.50 oz Flaked Barley
0.25 oz Chocolate Malt

0.50 oz Warrior 14% AA (60 Mins)
1.00 oz Fuggles 5% AA (15 mins)
1.00 oz Goldings 5% AA (5 mins)

Total Grain 10.75 lbs.
60 Minute Mash @ 154.

Thanks!

by "malty, hoppy", do you mean low bitterness but good hop flavor/aroma? If so, move those 45 and 30min adds to your 15 and 5min adds and you got it. IMO, anything between 20 and 60 is a waste since it adds no aroma, minimal flavor, and is underutilized

Thanks dcp27, maybe that's where I've been having trouble. I'll make that adjustment and will hopefully get what I'm looking for. I need to do some more reading on the effects of hop additions at certain points of the boil.

Latest posts

Back